1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other So, anyone had their 3090 killed by a game yet?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David, 21 Jul 2021.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Apparently, Amazon's New World closed beta MMO doesn't limit frame rates in the menu screens and some folk are saying it killed their EVGA 3090 FTW3. It seems to be limited to that model though.

clicky

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Without wanting to wade into the sort of debate happening in that comments section, it does strike me that the failure is in all likelihood essentially a hardware problem specific to the model.

While the game is clearly buggy and causing an unusual load that should by no means kill a card.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Obviously, it's an issue specific to that model - but it is a popular model. Thought it was worth highlighting.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There are claims it ain't limited to a specific card:

And worse, that the issue was supposedly known already during the Alpha.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Obviously the card's offended that you would lower it to playing an Amazon Studios game. To be fair if the choice was between that and not gaming at all, I'd choose not gaming at all too.

6. oscy

oscy Modder

I played Assassin's Creed Unity a few years ago and its menus, maps etc. had no FPS limit. This combined with the fact that the game world itself was still doing its thing, the menus were seemingly independently overlayed, meant double the strain. Even happened on console apparently.

Interestingly when in these pause menus, it'd say the FPS was only 30, which is what it was in-game but not true when it was 'paused'. So presumably it was doing the menus AND the game-game at unlimited FPS. Big load.

It'd make my GPU's (780) fans and temp go higher and higher, and then around 90C it'd crash to black and I'd have to do a hard reboot. It was probably on the way out anyway as it died a little later for real randomly while on desktop.

So yeah, had to use an FPS limiter when playing AC Unity.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2021
  7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Bit more today from Jay