1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yeah it's a biggun - same driver complement and cabinet volume as the L/R, as centre speakers should be.

liratheal likes this.
  2. walle

walle Minimodder

Great thread, made me miss my old Hi-Fi system.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks to a visit from @Arboreal, the stack grows...

[​IMG]

Works perfectly - I'm literally recording Gojira's From Mars to Sirius on it right now. More than can be said for my NetMD though :(. It just doesn't record properly now at all; NetMD mode fails to save even one track and optical recording just throws an error. Time to tear it apart and see if I can spot anything obvious...

Last edited: 1 Aug 2021
    jinq-sea, Mister_Tad, Yaka and 2 others like this.
  4. Mister_Tad

A few separate requirements have converged and culminated in a chap from a Control4 dealer having a visit this morning.

Some entirely separate lighting/control/security needs actually got me back to a "proper" home control/automation system, because I'm just not sure I can bear DIY, but if I end up going down that road then AV control will definitely be a part of it.

(funnily enough it was the LTT videos showing how simple home assistant was that made me say - "no, I really CBA with any of that")

Since the writing has been on the wall for Harmony for a bit now - anyone else looked into viable alternatives that are somewhere in between winging it with CEC and full-on Control4/Crestron/Savant? A couple of weeks for the quote to come back so want to make sure I've not missed out on researching any other alternatives.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For AV stuff, I've not come across anything in my idle searching that can match the Harmony, which is a disappointment.

That said, I am still considering buying a Harmony, because for now at least it can't be any less infuriating than CEC. Maybe by the time it dies, there'll be another company doing it.

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i am still using harmony, nothing really out there that is a viable alternative

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Funnily enough I'm looking for a NED MD capable recorder, I have tons of Mini-discs from 98-05 when I stopped using MD. It is surprising how expensive the separates still go for at the moment!

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

just got this
    [​IMG]

for some thing that is cheap and runs off usb it lives up to the hype purchased it on the back of zeos reviews

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Oh, I need a new DAC to go with my Amptastic Mini 1, that might be right up my street, how is it?

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Based on what I have read, that is probably the best DAC under 200 squids.

11. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

its sweet runs off usb u don't need the power brick. both my fostex and hd650 sounds sweat also used it as a dack for my little dot IV and my classd amp/desktop speakers.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

What's the noise floor like? I seem to be able to hear even the tiniest hiss and my current little headphone amp makes a teeny-tiny one that drives me round the bend.

13. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i have been using my hd650s no hiss that my ears can detect compared to the ibasso amp i had been using for years

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Any thoughts on Cambridge Audio Minx MIN 22? I'm looking to replace my book shelf speakers for something a touch smaller but still sounding decent.

15. Mister_Tad

Had a quote through for home cinema automation via Control4, amongst a variety of other automations stuffs.

It's an interesting one - as a standalone system for home cinema automation only, i.e. like for like with harmony, completely different ballpark universe of costs.
    But as a component of a wider automation system, the entertainment control components are relatively competitive. Basically the brains of the operation is a fairly hefty lump sum regardless of whether it's doing home cinema alone, or a million other things in the house.

There are a few AV specific plugins that add a modest amount - I'm not actually sure whether I need most of them yet. The remote is either comparable to a Harmony Elite for the standard one, or around 2-3x for the fancy shmancy one. It was suggested that the standard one is actually better in terms of usability/experience, but the fancy one is... fancy. On the fence with that.

So TLDR - it's not really a "replacement" for Harmony, but we already knew that. As a component of a wider home automation system though, no brainer.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Just took a look at; https://www.audioconcept.co.uk/installation/control4-systems I can see what you mean about the cost...

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you power it with a (good) 5v adapter rather than USB it gets better.

Just picked up a S.M.S.L SU-9 to go with my Helot 2x, really enjoying the combo.

trigger likes this.
  18. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

yeah the manual states it but with what i have got , the really old hd650 , drop pandas and fostex i have not felt the need to plug a 5v psu i have tried it but didnt really notice much diff.

but power switch is a night mare, my 2yr old nephew tapped it twice while i had my 650s on (switched it to iem mode then back) i am sure my ears would have bled had i not thrown the headphones off, z reviews mentions this in he review, i honestly thought he was over exaggerating it

19. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Quick AV related query, relating to Sonos…

Does anyone know if while I wait for my speakers to be hardwired into my Sonos amp, whether I can use my other Sonos speakers with it for any input that is attached ( eg tv via hdmi)?

thanks in advance!

20. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Yes you can