1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Nothing about that particular commune I'm afraid, it's location is good for Montlucon and Gueret so that will take care of all your shopping and administrative needs plus it has good links to the motorways. Also Boussac has quite a lot going for it and it's only a few minutes drive north from there.

This map may be useful if you haven't already seen it.

https://reseaux.orange.fr/couverture-reseaux/carte-de-couverture-fibre

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I got lucky, and a client paid for it. It's technically theirs, rather than mine, but lives with me.

3. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

To be honest, I'm scared as hell about publishing it. But its one of the things that has to be done. And I will.

Almightyrastus and Nexxo like this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You know what? I have actually been looking at getting Kickstart 3.1.4 (and the corresponding Workbench version)!

I get pretty decent upload rates on Virgin Media TBH

[​IMG]

That's with the top-tier gigabit package, but the irony is that while my download has quadrupled*, my upload rate only went up by 10Mbps. It is still pretty laughable that I get this ridiculous download speed and a comparatively paltry upload.

I mean... I don't really need more than 50Mbps upload, the most upload-intensive thing I do is game streaming and that doesn't use more than ~6-7mbps - it just strikes me as daft that it's a 20:1 ratio between download and upload.

*Theoretically - in reality I'm at the limit of what my gigabit home network can handle

IanW likes this.
  5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm with Vodafone in Bournemouth and they offer 500Mbit or 900Mbit symmetrical connections. I'm surprised that isn't the norm these days.

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Hmmm, that didn't help too much...

[​IMG]

Bilborough, "nicely" in the area with no colours at all.... :hehe::hehe:

Actually, considering that area also includes the city centre, it seems a little odd that there is no colouring on there.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Almightyrastus likes this.
  8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Ah yes, that makes more sense, I do recall seeing something about McCann on the bits and pieces of equipment popping up further down the estate (we are right on the edge, hence why it has taken a little while). It is going to be very interesting to see what services become available once everything is in and ready to go.

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

12 hours from now I will be wanted to enter camping area, swiging rum in the queue ready to get totally wasted listenting to heavy metal, this is so needed :rock:

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Couldn't agree more... I miss live shows and gigs.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Pamphlet through the door to say this lot are FTTPing around here, and may at some point FTTP my house too. Which would be nice: unlimited gigabit (averaging 900/900Mbps up/down) for £49 a month - month-by-month contract, free installation, upgrade or downgrade at any time, and your first six months is free(!)

We'll see.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Didn't they mention the free rainbow unicorn you'll get with your order? Or the Leprechaun that'll lead you to his pot o' gold?

13. Gareth Halfacree

Apparently they're already live in Bingley, so at least someone else is trying out the bleeding edge for me before I sign on the dotted line!

perplekks45 likes this.
  14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Titanfall 1 is working again, for the first time in about 2 years.

Me and the other 200 players are delighted :D

spolsh likes this.
  15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

My Hyundai Kona 64KW is currently achieving an average of 5.4m/kWh over 1100 miles on my work commute. With our currently electricity tariff that is equating to ~ £28.50 cost or ~2.6p/m. For the sake of comparison our Fiesta ST (which my wife uses to commute - or will be when she is back in the office full time from Sep) would need £165 of fuel to drive the same distance (40 mpg @ £6 per gallon).*

I like being consistent:

[​IMG]

Kona for reference:

[​IMG]

On the waiting list for a smart meter install so we can move from our existing Octopus interim tariff to Octopus Go. From that point we will be charging in the 4hr 5p/kWh window overnight thus bringing the cost of the above down to ~ £10.20 (assuming same efficiency and distance).

I am also starting to trust the GoM (Guess o' meter or remaining range) as the last two weeks of testing have put the miles driven vs consumed at a difference of 2 (142 vs 144 respectively). Factoring in at 94% the GoM is registering 328 miles I am perfectly happy with just using the car normally with the only difference being I don't have to divert to a petrol station to fill up (or at least can avoid charging stops on my normal weekly commute). :)

*Note - I am obviously ignoring all other factors when it comes to running a car here and just focusing on the fuel side of things. Just interesting to see the savings when it's all calculated out (and helps somewhat to counter the higher up front cost of a pure EV vs its contemporary 'ICE' equivalent).

wolfticket and Isitari like this.
  16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Great Scott!

That's one fifth of the per mile fuel costs of my drive to work. It does give me the horrible feeling that sooner or later there will be massive tax levied on electricity use somehow. If uptake of EV's goes up enough to drop the income from fuel sales...

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

15 miles, 15 miles, 15 miles, you'd be quids in if you swapped it for a push bike.

That's a decent range, what's it drop down to if you spend time on NSL's & M-ways?

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Of course there will.
    They're not going to turn a blind eye to losing that revenue.

I hope they do decide to go that way rather than pay per mile, but I'm biased my commute is 85 miles each way.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Good to see it working out as it should!

I've checked mine and I'm getting 5.1mpkWh, I've considered switching to a low overnight tariff but I'd need to install a charger to make the most of it and financially it just doesn't make that much sense, easier sticking with the 10amp three pin plug.

20. Valo

Valo Minimodder