1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Is my PSU on its way out?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by oasked, 12 Aug 2021.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I've been having stability issues with my computer when playing games - but it seems to vary from game to game. Desktop performance is absolutely fine.

Dirt Rally 2.0 can play for hours on end (I've recently left a replay running for hours on end with no issues).

Deus Ex Mankind Divided (from 2017) and Forza Horizon 4 both seem to crash my computer. Deus Ex often completely restarts the computer. I've tried verifying the game files in Steam and the files are all ok.

I've tried implementing an 80% power target using Asus GPU Tweak 2, but I'm still getting crashing. No artifacts on screen at all.

For reference the system is at stock speeds for everything.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Try a 50% power target? Need to drastically reduce it to test if it's PSU.
    What does GPU-z graph log for voltages when it crashes?

Your sig says 3070 on a CX600. I've read reports that 3090's have huge power spikes, I'm wondering whether 3070 may produce similar high current spikes and cause the lower-tier 600w to drop in voltage.

I had a similar low-tier Seasonic 550w PSU and when I plugged in 2080 Ti, I saw GPU-z voltage readings drop to low 11v before crashing. IIRC 50% power limit would play games fine.

oasked likes this.
  3. oasked

Well after a bit of investigation my PSU seems to be fine...

Forza Horizon 4 sometimes plays ok and I've been trying out benchmark mode. The +12V voltage on the motherboard doesn't dip below 12.0V and is usually at around 12.2V. The 5V rail oscillates between 5.0 and 5.1V.

Further investigation required... maybe it's the graphics card. Any signs to tell?

4. wyx087

Just a random thought, your 32GB RAM is that 4x8 or 2x16? If it's the former, it usually couldn't achieve stable XMP due to heavier load on the memory controller.

For faulty GPU..... any hint of artifacting?

oasked likes this.
  5. oasked

It's 2x 16Gb with XMP enabled. No hints of artifacting - just straight to restart or desktop.

I'm continuing to investigate using HW Monitor Pro to keep an eye on my system - I'm yet to catch anything significant on my monitoring but will keep at it

6. TechBuggy

TechBuggy What's a Dremel?

You could run some stress tests to check it but nothing else really. Loop something like Heaven or Asus realbench for a couple of hours or if you really want to hammer it try OCCT's torture test but keep a close eye on your temps. I don't suppose you have a spare GPU or have a mate that could lend you theirs for testing purposes?

oasked likes this.
  7. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

That sounds identical to RAM issues I had that were eventually fixed by a newer BIOS.

Try turning off XMP and dropping back to JDEC speeds to see if it stops the rebooting. If it does then check for BIOS updates, or try manually set the XMP frequencies rather than using auto.

oasked likes this.
  8. oasked

No spare GPU unfortunately. I will try lowering the memory speeds.

Initial investigations with a 50% power throttle on the GPU seemed to be more stable - so could well still be the PSU. I'll report back with progress!

Thanks all

9. oasked

After a week or so of sporadic testing at a 50% power limit on the GPU (and no other changes), I've had no crashes.

I'll order a new (more powerful) PSU when my credit card allows in a week or so's time.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Are you running any CPU overlocks/PBO etc.

11. oasked

No. All stock, PBO is not enabled.

Thinking of getting a Corsair RM850X (2021 version) PSU when funds allow.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Try the latest AMD chipset driver that just dropped

oasked likes this.
  13. oasked

Thanks - I have done now. Seems to have improved the stability of Forza which kept on crashing on launch.

14. oasked

I think you might be right sir!

I've just installed a new Corsair RM850X PSU... and I still get the crashes. Just tried lowering the memory speeds to JEDEC speeds and stability has greatly improved - I can now load Forza without it crashing repeatedly. Further investigation required - but I think you might be on to something!

15. oasked

An update - I'm still continuing to pull my hair out!

I've been fiddling around with my RAM and I just can't get the system stable with both sticks of DDR4 at stock speeds.
    I've:
    • tested each stick on its own (single channel) - no problems at full stock speeds
    • tested both sticks in dual channel - no problem at the JEDEC speeds (1066Mhz), but crashes at anything approaching stock speeds (1600Mhz) - even with looser timings. I've tried slower speeds, with looser timings which improves the situation but is not 100% stable.
    • I've updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version (a couple of the updates mention memory compatibility improvements), but no improvement
    Any ideas?

16. wyx087

17. oasked

Thanks wyx087, unfortunately those are the slots I've been using. I tried using A1 and B1 last night instead and it made the system less stable!

I'm currently following the instructions here: https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/155531-cmw32gx4m2c3200c16-x570-bsod-solved/

But it's not working for me yet. More trial and error ahead...

UPDATE: Decided to test my memory properly with MemTest86. The results are fairly conclusive - one stick works fine at JEDEC (slow) and XMP (stock) speeds, the other stick produces errors at either. I've opened an RMA with Corsair... wish me luck.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2021
  18. oasked

Whilst I'm waiting for Corsair to respond to my RMA (still no response after several days - I am not impressed and will not be buying Corsair RAM again), I've bought some Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 Desktop Gaming Memory (Red) BL2K16G36C16U4R

Seems solid so far at stock XMP speeds - no errors after an hour of MemTest86. I can also notice the improvement in performance.

Hopefully the stability issue is now resolved. Fingers crossed.