1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Why is mATX so overlooked?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 22 Aug 2021.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It does. Looking at my current PC in its Obsidian 600D.. with just a GPU plugged into the massive Rampage IV motherboard, the word that comes to mind is waste.

So doing the same with mATX would be a great idea then.

Can you though? What compromises are made elsewhere to achieve this? Do you have any particular case in mind you can link to?

-------

As for mini ITX X570 boards, I just don't get it. Why would people want X570 in mini ITX rather than mATX? The only real advantage to X570 is more PCIe4.0 lanes, but they all have just one PCIe slot. Also, running 2x high capacity DIMMS as opposed to 4x lower ranked ones is also a performance hit for zen3.... it just makes no sense. B550 makes much more sense for mini ITX. Building such a small machine also means cooling inefficiency. So you pay £250 for a ROG X570 o/c capable board with one PCIe slot and 2 DIMM slots and then shoehorn it into a case as small as possible with crap cooling? I must be missing something LOL.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2021
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I struggled with this as well! I ended up with the Q300L in my signature which is brilliantly customisable. I inverted it not long after installing everything into it.

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Doing the same with matx would be a fantastic idea however you need multiple large brand case vendors to take this onboard to kick-start that drive for high end MB manufacturering in this form factor.
    Its a chcken and egg scenario. You won't get one without the other that's the problem.

Cerberus X was about 21ltr for e-atx if I recall. ATX I'd have to have a mooch through my case image archive (sad system ideas that I never really adopted) but e-atx is longer than ATX. Remove the length from a case relative to eatx to produce ATX and you at around 18.8l based of the Cerberus platform which actually had an mATX called Cerberus if I recall or at least one in the works.

Edit:
    Cerberus was mATX and 18l
    Cerberus X was eATX and 19.5l

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'd be interested in such a case:
    - Case is height of 7-slot ATX, length of ATX + PSU
    - Width of regular 162mm CPU cooler and 120mm bottom fan without affecting mobo connections. (I think 011D is unnecessarily wide, mainly for the glass front looks)
    - front of case mounts the PSU, PSU fan sits next to the RAM or a mesh intake for those RrrrGeeBee PSU
    - Bottom-up airflow, ensuring best cooling for >200W GPU while the <100W CPU gets the rest
    Ideally:
    - Fine high grade dust filter for bottom intakes
    - Optional intake rear fan with dust filter for better CPU cooling
    - Top exhaust
    - Top 360 rad support when paired with shorter or SFX-L PSU

Coolermaster SL600M did the bottom up GPU-focused cooling approach, but it's a massive 9 slot monster.
    The new Fractal Design Torrent is very close. Just need to do a bit more space optimised by moving the PSU to the front replacing a 180mm fan.

I did look at the Cerberus case when LTT did a video of a mATX living room VR update build. But it's super expensive and has to be shipped from US IIRC.

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

https://www.sfftime.com/

Full size ATX and dual slot GPU in 10l.

The cases are out there for some mental compact ATX builds.

6. Pookeyhead

That looks like a great little case, with good cooling. I seriously considered it, but the 2x 280mm rad ability of the RL08 kind of swung that in my favour, plus the RL08 can accept GPUs 10mm longer, which, seeing as I've no idea what GPU I'll be putting in it (beggars can't be choosers in this current environment), it just made sense. I think your case is the better looking of the two however. I do prefer a PSU shroud/compartment for cable management options though. Still... looks like a great case.

andrew8200m likes this.
  7. Pookeyhead

Interesting, but looks like a portable room heater LOL. Looks a pain to build in, and a pain to cool if you put an overclocked 5950X in there. I still think mATX makes far more sense. There are far fewer compromises.

8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I do sometimes like the fact that putting an mATX board into a 'normal' sized tower case gives you plenty of room when assembling and any future fiddling about.
    Just moved my build across to a Corsair 4000d airflow (Not that massive a case) and the build process was the easiest yet.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Perception of worth though. They still whack on loads of extra PCIe slots, I/O and comms ports which no one can use even if they wanted to , just because if they don't people thing its a cheap or basic board. And thats what mATX used to be, 80% of the features for 60% of the cost, so you can see why manufacturers would not want it...

Arboreal likes this.
  10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I didn't say it looked good although I have to admire the engineering even if an ITX at this point is still as useful when a GPU is installed.

Edit: quoted wrong post... Amazing!

Correction below...

What I said above... :grin:

Last edited: 25 Aug 2021
  11. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Arboreal likes this.
  12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Got an exciting new mATX case from Silverstone, the ALTA G1M.

Successor to mATX FT03, but without weird angled fans and more mesh
    https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=1010

As someone who still uses FT02, I'm really considering it. Ticks all my boxes for a more compact mATX case. The vertical layout is brilliant for desk space saving.
    Personally, I'd prefer ability to mount a filtered 140mm at the front (GPU intake side) to support GPU cooling. I'm sure a dremel can fix that.

VictorianBloke likes this.
  13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I had a Redline before the Q300L, but it was full ATX (RL05 if memory serves). I didn't like the red in the end (though somehow kept it for a few years!) so we definitely agree on that! I do wish I'd had the foresight to potentially include liquid cooling at some point but alas, I fear that will end up being yet another case purchase :hehe:. I do wish it had a shrouded PSU section as well. God damned cables!

14. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Oooooh, that's a good find. I've been holding off an O11d mini because it's fractionally too big for my needs and felt like I should be able to get sightly smaller with mATX.

Really wish Silverstone gave the clearance for triple rad/fan thickness though. I suspect room for a 65mm 3x120mm might be too much of an ask.

Edit: 159mm CPU cooler clearance from board level. Might be worth a punt!

Last edited: 25 Aug 2021
  15. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Pookeyhead likes this.
  16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I for one never quite understood why mATX didn't become the defacto standard for motherboards. Full ATX always felt needlessly sparse for the majority of systems and Mini-ITX too cramped, with mATX being in the the Goldilocks zone.

Pookeyhead likes this.
  17. Pookeyhead

Osgeld likes this.
  18. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

thanks there's a few more pictures at

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.p...es-before-posting.104808/page-18#post-4677290

I have my PSU fan side up to help suck air out of the gpu (which has gone from a RX570 to a 1660TI) but the basement just tucks under the front 120mm fan then another line was struck from the evga power supply at a 45 to the base of the fan (minus material thickness) location, its all done in cad (cardboard aided design) which is complemented by the IO panel and an extra bit of plastic up top, which almost makes a W form (which hides the laptop style DVD drive mounted in the case)

20190414_232351.jpg

me, personally I like MATX, a lot of motherboards are that form factor outside of the upper models and you get a smaller form factor without having to pay the ITX tax of smaller PSU's and motherboards (not to mention most reasonable mITX cases are not that much smaller without being a slotted box)

19. Pookeyhead

I decided on the RL08.
    [​IMG]

Osgeld likes this.