1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell C1422H is the firm's first portable monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Aug 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

IMO portable monitors like this should be £150...

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Where's the rest of the laptop for that price? Madness. Agreed 100% with @ChaosDefinesOrder here. £150 max IMHO.

4. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

That 3 year advance exchange warranty is adding at least $100 or more to the "real" price. And with corporate (volume) discounts the price will come down further. I see a decent market for these. While the pandemic has diminished the on site visits, for sales reps that still need to go out and do presentations, usually to small groups, this avoids the cluster around the laptop and avoids having to lug a projector or find one at the customer site. Now you can setup your second mirrored display and present away. The weight and size savings, especially for airline travelers, would easily be worth the price. And it appears to not need a power cord so one less brick to carry around with you.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For the relatively niche travelling-salesperson use-case, wouldn't something like the Philips PicoPix Nano be better? Smaller, lighter, less likely to shatter if your luggage gets mishandled, projects images up to 60" (although with a native resolution of 640x360 they're not very good images, I'll grant you...)

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I frequently used to claim the projector in the meeting room was broken when vendors visited just so we could have a discussion like humans rather than step through slides.

If one of them ever whipped out a mobile screen or projector that would have been upsetting.

jb0, Byron C and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Back in my college days, I just carried around an old 15" LCD with a folding easel stand, as power outlets were plentiful anywhere with enough space for a second monitor

That being said, it would be nice if old laptop LCDs could be repurposed into portable monitors. I shudder to think just how many of them probably end up as e-waste every day.

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You weirdos and your need for "social interaction"...

jb0 likes this.
  9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You misunderstand - it was first and foremost trying to avoid an hour of death-by-powerpoint, which is an effective sales tool because it makes the audience stupid and think on rails.

I preferred this technique because it either let me find out the things I actually wanted to know about whatever thing they were trying to pitch, or more often than not revealed that they knew very little about the thing they were trying to pitch once going off-piste and were planning to bluff their way through slides.

jb0 and Arboreal like this.
Tags: Add Tags