1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 20GB appears to have shipped

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 8 Sep 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Best not come with the cheap shoddy plastic backplates or those extra modules will end up melting through them or spontaneously combusting. Backplate on an MSI 3080 ventus got incredibly hot even just from short bench runs. Now I know why 3090 owners have been complaining.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yep, the vram temps on my FE were bouncing off the 110 degree limiter before I swapped out the thermal pads. That change, along with some good airflow has brought the vram down to the low 80s when maxed out.

Crap design by Nvidia - they should have produced a thicker back plate with shallow fins and not skimped on the quality of the stock thermal pads.

The_Crapman and monty-pup like this.
  4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

OK, if they're cheaper than a 3090, that might be an attractive option for me. But the 3080Ti is currently frighteningly close to the price of a 3090 here... not much leeway in terms of pricing.

5. The_Crapman

Might pitch a piece about backplate cooling. God a few different things around I can use, see how effective they are.

Price: expensive as ****

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  6. David

I bought some cheap thermal pads and a bunch of these:
    [​IMG]

and placed them on the backplate, doesn't look pretty but I don't do case windows so IDGAF.

7. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz What's a Dremel?

They keep trying to kill PC gaming with these prices and hopefully they do at this point. We need a market crash to reset things. Ever since the RTX 2000 series prices have been out of control. Honestly I have to say I did not read this article nor will I as the video card industry makes me sick.

loftie likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

9. Paradigm Shifter

The only way you're going to get a significant market "reset" is if everything crashes. If that happens, I hope you don't mind not having things like electricity and plumbing.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I read the headline as singlular, as in "the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 20GB appears to have shipped". Probably not that far from the truth either...

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  11. Paradigm Shifter

The crazy thing is, the Quadro A5000 is currently cheaper than a 3090 here. Six months ago it was the other way around.

12. David

13. The_Crapman

Sorry I was incredibly tired and losing cognitive function. Couldn't get my head round getting it on Flickr. lol
    [​IMG]

14. The_Crapman

These are crazy times

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Did you happen to see what the temp difference just the thermal pads made? If they alone made a big enough difference it's definitely something nvidia should be given a slap for. As for the fins, can't see they'd ever do that since it'd ruin their "design". Then again they could probably sell them to gamers as speed holes fins to make their car card faster and charge an extra £200

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. David

Ah, yes. I bought a couple of server heatsinks but the ram slots and io heatsink got in the way (itx board).
    Yes, the passive heatsinks only really drop it by an additional 5 or 6 degrees. Some good quality 12.8w/mk pads on the vram and vrms dropped the memory temp by 20-25 degrees or more*.

* The vram was hitting the 110 degree limiter until I backed off the mining hashrate to around 92mh/sec. With the new pads and nothing else the vram topped out at 90 degrees with the hashrate wound right up to 120mh/sec.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Oh wow, I was expecting the other way round - or maybe I was hoping it was the other way round. Kinda shows how nvidia DGAF considering such a simple fix and the prices they charge. :sigh:

18. David

Three packs of the pads were ~£40. That's £40 you shouldn't have to pay but, in isolation, it was well worth the money for the improvement.

I only used two packs on the second card but the price went up a tad, so ~£28 on that one. I doubt Nvidia would have to pay a quarter of that for similar quality pads in the volumes they'd use. Which is what really stings.

loftie likes this.
Tags: Add Tags