1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphic upgrade - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tsutton, 1 Oct 2021.

1. tsutton

tsutton Minimodder

Hi all,

My son's PC is a Stone BOAMOT-499 slim tower case which comes with the following:

* ASUS PRIME H310M-R R2.0 Micro ATX form factor
    * Intel Core i3-9100 @3.60Ghz
    * 8GB memory
    * Intel UHD Graphics 630

https://kb.stonegroup.co.uk/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=723

As my son is getting more and more into gaming, I need to upgrade to a decent graphic card. But the issue is low profile case.

Can anyone recommend me a decent graphic card that is better than the in-built graphic and fit in this case?

Thanks,

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If it is low profile only then you will need to find a low profile card. The only card I can think of is the 1030, but recently Nvidia hamstrung it by removing the GDDR it had and replacing it with the equivalent of a chewed toffee.

As such you may need to re-case the computer and possibly buy a new PSU also.

3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/msi-geforc...MItMj_w_yp8wIVWoFQBh1AogvHEAQYAiABEgLtsPD_BwE

Think that's about as powerful as low profile goes. Seems to me a bigger case, PSU and second hand graphics would provide better value.

edit : seems you can get a 1650 low profile too, but even sillier money if anywhere has it. (needs 6 pin power too and I think you'll have a low spec PSU in the PC that may not have PCIe connectors ?)

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Failing an affordable GTX 1650LP, see if you can find a GTX 1050Ti LP, It shouldn't need extra power.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Just buy a console. It'll be cheaper and easier.

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

What is your budget? And what games does your son mainly play?

As others have said, buy a new case doesn't have to cost the earth for a half decent mATX case and then you are not limited to the low profile market which is tiny.
    Then you can sit down and look how much 'normal' graphics cards cost.
    I advise you to sit down as if you are standing up when you look, you may collapse.