1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Project - PowerCore - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by riekmaharg2, 26 Jul 2020.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Man that's tight! :lol: Beautiful shoehorning there.
    Design phase: "I should leave space for stuff."
    Build phase: "I should have left MORE room for stuff."

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

A few final bits:

I created some 3d print/foam spaces to fit between the heatsink and the fan housing to seal it to make sure the air only goes through the heatsinks:
    [​IMG]

I then assembled the fan and mounted it in place:
    [​IMG]

And stuck on some foam on the feet for vibration damping:
    [​IMG]

Heres the pump all assembled:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pressure test time :)
    [​IMG]

I connected a res to the 2 inlet pipes to bleed the air. I can bend the tube to make it either go around the res more or the main system, it took a while, but got there eventually:
    [​IMG]

and here's the moment you've been waiting for :grin:, the completed case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued....

No X, 4LIEN, neSSa and 5 others like this.
  3. riekmaharg2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The fan motor I've used is a bit noisy unfortunately, so I'm gonna work on replacing it with something else. A modded Noctua is my plan atm.

4LIEN, Yaka, slipperyskip and 5 others like this.
  4. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

OMG!!! :jawdrop: It looks great. What remains to be seen is the temperature reading inside. :dremel:

5. riekmaharg2

It runs quite toasty, but I think its just these components, the loop was at 50C but the CPU 82C and the GPU 91C while running Prime95 and Furmark for a while. The CPU was getting that high even when I tested it on my desk with a desk fan on the heatsink, the heatsink was cool yet the CPU was around 80C, so I guess they just aggressively seek the max frequency possible, so the thermal transfer is the limiting factor.
    I'll post some screenshots of the temp/fan control apps if you want once I get the new fan in, as that might change the temps.

Cheapskate likes this.
  6. Cheapskate

I didn't know you had the pump in the top. I bet that tried to dry out a few times.
    She's an absolutely amazing build, and the results are MOTY territory...If we ever have one of those again.
    I think we all knew it would run hot. I'm not sure a Noctua is the best choice. What you need is static pressure... Something like an AC duct blower. :lol:

7. riekmaharg2

Yeah it was a bit of pain, I had to keep rotating the case over and over to get all the bubbles out, but got there in the end. Thanks :).
    I was more thinking just using the motor from a noctua as they are super quiet, and 3d printing blower fan blades. The noctua has arrived now, it's one of the 2k rpm ones, hopefully it will have enough ampage to drive the blower style fins but we'll have to see.

Cheapskate likes this.
  8. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I was going to write that with the blue LEDs it looks cool, but then I read that it runs on the warmy side, so I think that this is more appropriate:

This build is fire!!! :D

Last edited: 27 Oct 2021
  9. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Superlative
    /suːˈpəːlətɪv/

adjective

of the highest quality or degree. "a superlative piece of skill"

Some times a quote from the dictionary says it best........ :rock::rock::rock:

10. Cheapskate

Not really. I have one of those family dictionaries that doesn't have words that describe my sexual/mechanical feelings towards this machine.

kim likes this.
  11. AttilaP

AttilaP Minimodder

Looks amazing, great craftsmanship! :clap:

12. riekmaharg2

Yeah lol, here is some colours :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks both :rock:

hahaha :grin:

I finally got round to swapping out the fan, I had to use a Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Turbo fan in the end as the noctua ones with metal outer shells weren't powerful enough. I used a pen knife saw to cut the blades off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tested it with Prime95 and Furmark running at the same time for 40min:

[​IMG]

It does get very toasty the GPU is fine, but the CPU starts to throttle at 90c in this test. This is a worse case scenario though, and games wont utilise anywhere near 100% CPU.

13. Cheapskate

Any way to get some extra case airflow in there? -Like, just to see if it would help. You could possibly add a 2nd fanbox base that kicks on for gaming mode.

14. riekmaharg2

Maybe, although I think Id prefer it quieter lol. The issue seems to be the power of motor, as the motor on the fan I had on before kicked out a crazy amount of air, but the motor noise was really loud at low levels. Not sure if its a general rule that the more powerfull the motor is, the louder it gets even on low speeds.

15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Generally speaking a more powerful motor tend to be noisier, but I would put the motor as the last culprit for it being noisy.
    From my experience the bushes type have a huge impact on the noise department, then the vibration dampening, the motor and blade shape come after those.

Looking at your pics I would say that it you might need more static pressure, so as far as fan blades design go you should try less blades but more angled.

Making the center of the fan cone shaped instead of it being flat would also help a lot.

With your new impeller design, you lost a bit of venturi effect created from the blades of the stock one, the stock one had pointy blades near the center becoming thicker on the periphery, it helps with the speed of the air/liquid moved by the blades.

I hope I translated it clearly enough to be understood.

16. riekmaharg2

I think I get you, like this new fan on right old on the left:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I made this sketch, I hope it helps you out.

The one on the left it looks like a generic electric blower fan, the one on the right it's closer to the shape of a car turbocharger compressor wheel.

Both work for your needs, both designs help you out with the intake and the pressure of the air going outwards.

Jean R built Screenshot (11) 0001.jpg

General rule is less blades more angled for pressure and more blades less angled for airflow, you can play with the proportions to see what your build need the most.

This is just a simple sketch, but it should help understand the general shapes you need, if you look for a compressor wheel pics you will see that there are variations.

Cheers :happy:

4LIEN likes this.
  18. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

@riekmaharg2
    Oh man it's come out AWESOME! I love it, really sci-fi futuristic design! :clap:

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I came.

20. pccustom

pccustom Multimodder

amazing!