1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The end

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 1 Nov 2021.

1. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Sad to see this. As ex-staff and far before that, regular user, bit-tech was always a home for me!

Byron C, The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I need to sleep on this. Assuming I'll be able.

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

What? No. I don't accept.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

On a serious note though, been a member here for 12 years, and no doubt loitered long before that. This is sad news, but I remain quietly optimistic.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well doesn't this make for a sombre read.

I hope all the staff can find something new to do in a reasonable time frame.

Secondarily, I hope that the future doesn't hold spam bots and a quiet, undignified, death for the forums.

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

The new guard of tech info just gave a farewell message to the old guard.

(Towards the end)

Byron C, Isitari, Dave Lister and 2 others like this.
  7. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Very sad to hear this, bit-tech has been one of my favourite places on the internet for almost 20 years. I came for the mods, stayed for Gareth's tech news coverage, and loved Joe's game reviews, and then Rick's as well... Oh yeah and the podcast, that was great! I guess everything comes to an end eventually. Very relieved to hear the forums are staying though :brrr:

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Wheatley's Space Program thanks you for the Corsair USB stick.
    I thank you for the Corsair mouse mat and mouse.
    I think I can safely say we all thank you for making the site what it is.
    :sad:

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I personally blame the lack of the annual mince pie reviews for the demise of CPC/Bit-Tech. That and out general shunning of Lord Relix.

On a more serious note. While it's sad to see it come to an end in this way but. As said it's better than becoming a sell out click bait site.

Let's keep things going though plenty of good people here as a community.

Shill plug, if your not already get on the Bit-Tech discord

10. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

Thank you for a wonderful site over the years. My daily reading site list is getting shorter and shorter. Finding high quality, in-depth unbiased tech sites are rare.

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, bugger :waah::waah:

I've been here since about 2005, which is a looong time (not quite half my life, because I'm an old git :D), and I've checked in on Bit pretty much every day during that time (as well as being an old git, I'm also a sad git). I came for Orac, stayed for the news and mods, and ended up doing a bit of reviewing myself.

If we need community funding to ensure bit's future, I'd be glad to offer whatever I can.

(Also, I don't really do Discord, it's too much like IRC and I find it too overwhelming)

Vault-Tec, wyx087, CardJoe and 2 others like this.
  12. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Well that's sad news. Hope all the staff move on to even greater things, with the minimum of stress.

I'm another that was drawn in by the reviews and stayed for the community. Whilst I may not post very often I do check in daily. The Bit forums are one of the few positive (on the whole) bastions on the internet, and rainy do I hope they can survive without the site and MotM etc.

Pete J, wyx087 and The_Crapman like this.
  13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

<3 I'll always have been honoured to pass my part of the reins over to Rick.

I actually got alerted to this thread by some of the other Bit-tech old guard. It's sad news, but still comforting to come back now 10+ years later and see many of the same names here, such as Krikkit, Flibblebot and Hex.

I'll always be grateful to Bit-tech for giving me my start as a journalist and writer, for introducing me to this community and for connecting me with the Bit/TR/Dennis team I worked with -- and most of whom I still talk to every single day.

It's a sad day, but I'm glad that the community will stick around as best it can.

flibblesan, Byron C, ashchap and 7 others like this.
  14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I guess with the rise of youtube, reading articles etc was going to die out. I'll miss you BT, you have been an inspiration.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Maybe it's because I'm an old fart, but I'll take a decent written review over the glorified unboxing vlogs that seem to pass for video reviews on youtube. Besides, video reviews can be tainted by personalities and, in some cases, they have to be. A written review can deliver the bare facts and get away with it, but it would make a poor video, as they tend toward entertainment a liitle too much IMO.

jb0, Isitari, ModSquid and 7 others like this.
  16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

What I wanted to say has already been said many times. It's a shock despite it was expected deep down.

I am very please to see the community will live on, especially in the traditional forum form. (I'm not the right age for IRC speed chats)

Very nice to see many familiar names come back.

Another shout out to those who have joined the Bit-tech/CPC BFBC2 server, it has been fantastic fun playing alongside you.

Agree. Entertaining videos are good for introduction only. The real meat of the technical details must live written down somewhere black and white. It's a shame good written reviews are becoming harder and harder to find.

17. badinfluens

badinfluens What's a Dremel?

I've been visiting this site daily since 2007, so it's kind of disheartening to say the least. One of the few tech sites with unbiased reviews. You will be surely missed. Thank you for everything!

Pete J and The_Crapman like this.
  18. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Good luck, live long and prosper!x

Pete J and The_Crapman like this.
  19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

shocked at this news. :(

The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Ahh I remember the days, that an when I was mod on the bit-tech counterstrike source server admin slapping people about when they went afk so they were afk to random spots on the map

wyx087 likes this.