1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The end

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 1 Nov 2021.

1. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Did anyone else feel the rug get pulled from under their bowels? Like that saying ‘could feel it in the pit of my stomach’? Ouch!

Whatever you guys do - T H A N K Y O U !
    You’ve been my go-to for tech news for 15 years or so.

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

don't panic, the forums are staying!

The_Crapman, Arboreal and MLyons like this.
  3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

[​IMG]
    All of us right now!

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Swinging back and forth between that and this.

5. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

OH....BALLS!

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Beat me to it re BALLS... just over ten years here!

Those are words!

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

I think I'm gonna throw up..............
    This has really mucked up my day. Thanks to all who have made the site what it is and for the information and help it has given me over the years.

Pete J and The_Crapman like this.
  8. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Have not been logged in since 2016.

F

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Very sad times. Bit-tech is the first tech forum I ever joined, 20 years ago - spent a lot of my teenage years experimenting with case mods, home made watercooling, etc thanks to this site. Many years later (while it was owned by Dennis Publishing) I ended up hosting the website/forums for a few years.

Good to hear you'll be keeping things online.

CardJoe, Pete J and The_Crapman like this.
  10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Haven't logged in here or even lurked for a few months now, but on a whim decided to browse today and saw this :(

A real shame that BT has been brought to an end, and for it to end with a bit of a whimper like this. It's good that the forums are being kept on, but for me personally this place has become a moribund shadow of it's former self - I was actually taken aback by the lack of new posts since my last login back in the summer :( It's just a function of the userbase atrophying away over the years and it's a real pity. I know there's the BT Discord server but Discord really isn't my cup of tea at all and no substitute for good forum discussion imho.

This post sounds a bit negative but BT / CPC forums have been a place where I've spent a lot of time, had some good laughs (and the odd argument too!), and also learned a lot about PC hardware.

Good luck and all the best to all at TMT, but in particular to @MLyons who I think has done more than anyone over the last few years to sustain this place as a community.

Ah well, it was a good innings. Take care everyone.

11. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Bit-tech for me is a synonymous of Modding.
    Modding would never be the same without Bit-tech :waah:

Something similar happend to more than one Italian communities.
    They were no big as Bit-tech but I think that the dimension only affects "life expectation".
    Once you stop making new website contents, you start slowly but constantly loosing new users.
    Old users will start fading out due to a normal life-cycle and this means fewer new threads.....less forum activity....till the end.

I really hope to be wrong :sigh:

Last edited: 2 Nov 2021
    kim and The_Crapman like this.
  12. dec

dec [blank space]

I was still a kid when I started lurking and posting here, if it was not for this site and forums I would never have developed an interest in computers. Thanks for the memories.

CardJoe and The_Crapman like this.
  13. Caliber

Caliber Minimodder

This sounds like a broken record by now, but here goes:

Really sad news, BT has been my preferred site for quality content on hardware, water-cooling and modding, and really fueled my own endeavors getting into those fields.

All the knowledge, inspiration and positivity in the forums are second to none, so glad that is given a chance to live on.

Thank you!

The_Crapman likes this.
  14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

What I miss?

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

wait wait wait wait.... wtf? what the hell?

I'm just a lurker these days, but aw man... wth?

AWW MAN!!! :(

My best and warmest wishes for the staff then.... where are you guys going then??

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Found Bit-Tech by accident because of the modding, while I never showed any of the mods I did publicly (because everyone here did way more ambitious stuff way better) it was a UK-based tech site which felt a lot more friendly than the other tech forums.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a luddite, I preferred reading articles (even split across a dozen pages) than watching a YouTube video - part of that is I can read faster than people can talk. But that is the way of the modern world, I fear... the recording of information has become frivolous. I'm guilty of it myself at times; "Oh, I'll just bookmark the page" and later (for whatever reason) the site is gone or the page has been magically edited (often without actually explicitly noting that fact).

I'm really glad the forums will survive.

Best wishes to the Bit-Tech staff in your future endeavours. Be well and take care.

Fizzban, The_Crapman and Pete J like this.
  17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

All the best to all staff and others involved. It's been great having this place and I'll miss it a lot.

Also, thanks for ruining my breakfast. As if this business trip wasn't shite enough already...

The_Crapman and Pete J like this.
  18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I don’t really have much to add from what’s been said already. A sad day indeed.
    Having been here for near 20 years as a reader, forum member, and moderator for a number of years I’ve seen the site go through various changes of ownership but didn’t see this coming.

Best of luck to all the staff for the future.

The_Crapman, Hex, CardJoe and 2 others like this.
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Not trying to make this all about me but one of the more heartbreaking things about this is that, when Dennis publishing's neglect all but spelled the end for Bit-tech many moons ago, I signed up to Hexus because I had, pretty much, all my tech forum eggs in one basket. Like other sites, I used to visit Hexus often, but was never a member of the community until that juncture.

Of course, DR did us a solid by stepping in and giving Bit-tech an additional eight years, but I also grew to love the Hexus community. So, losing both sites at the same time is a particularly bitter pill.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2021
    The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've updated both the article here and on HEXUS with the following bit of text.

THE FORUMS ARE STAYING OPEN. WE HAVE NO PLANS TO SHUT THEM DOWN OR MIGRATE YOUR DATA TO A NEW SYSTEM. ANY FUTURE PUBLICATION MENTIONED BELOW ARE NOT PART OF THE MEDIA TEAM, HEXUS OR BIT-TECH.

legoman, The_Crapman and monty-pup like this.