1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Looking awesome, I think you may be right about one of your best yet.

I am still not too sure about getting any of the larger scale figures, I mean they are nice and all, but I dunno. Although, saying that, the librarian is kinda nice.

I have been playing around with some of the new ork kommandos and I found a video on YouTube from a channel by the name of The Infernal Brush about how to do ork skin the 'Eavy Metal way (he's an ex GW studio painter who worked on some of the recent ork releases before he left) and I have been trying to follow that.

My normal skin recipe is as I have said earlier in here, based white then wash with Agrax Earthshade, then wash again with Biel Tan green and that's it. Quick, easy, gets a nice job done and great for painting up a unit.

However, this time I went all painted with mixed colours and everything, I try to stay away from mixed colours these days as any touch ups later on (there are ALWAYS touch ups) need to have the paint mixed up exactly the same again. But it seems to have to worked out reasonably well. Although, now I have taken a pic I do see that there are some areas that do need some serious smoothing and extra work...

[​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  2. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

That looks fantastic.

I've also given infernal brushes recipe a go. It's nice but slow for a big group of boyz

Almightyrastus likes this.
  3. Almightyrastus

Thank you. I have done the mob of 10 this way and did all their skin in one go and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was thinking that it would be. I don't think I went with quite as many glazes as he did, which is probably why it is nowhere near as smooth, but the process was a lot more simple than I thought it would be. I might mix up a 50:50 pot of the base colour at some point as at least then I will have an easy and consistent mixture for touch ups and for using as a based when adding in the Ork Flesh contrast or the Ogryn Camo for highlights. I can also pre-dilute it as well with some medium and flow aid.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

Eek.

Prolly still get it though.

5. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

That is a hard Nope!

How big is it out of curiosity?

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

30 cm tall.

7. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Your prints continue to astound, man.

I've finally got around to doing .. Something about what I wanted to use as the display for my Templars;

[​IMG]

Cut down the ZM tiles appropriately, started decorating the underside of them with offcuts from the Metal Gear Rex stuff, and added LED's where appropriate - Straight white across the third level (second will be between the two floors), amber fibre light on the next, red fibre on the next, and a white to top it all off. I'll be using paint and grime to dull them down a bit, though, when painting happens.

Goatee and Pete J like this.
  9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I must say, the detail looks better on lilgoth's stuff for some reason...?

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

This is just getting out of hand now, :D
    And then there's all the Tyranids, Nighthaunt, Death Guard and Necrons still to finish.

[​IMG]

12. Almightyrastus

Is that all? ;)

Cerberus90 likes this.
  13. liratheal

I'm no expert, but my guess would be that the Contemptor was printed with either FDM or woefully big layer heights in resin - And I think Lilgoth prints at much finer layer heights and often in resin for the fancypants parts that you see.

Pete J likes this.
  14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I can't help but wonder where the special 40K Desk PC build is. I'm seeing this multi-level war-zone table with clear layers and a PC built into it. Just me?

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I did look it up again recently, but there was a rather decent looking manufactorum build going on at one stage, with toxic green coolant. Last I checked the log was still unfinished, but not sure if it's been updated since.

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

[​IMG]

Say it with me Lads
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!

liratheal and Pete J like this.
  18. liratheal

I needed a new airbrush, getting parts for my Badger was proving more challenging than it was worth.

..I buckled and bought a Harder & Steenbeck - Admittedly the Squidmar version, but it looks like a pretty good compromise on price and features.

Edit:

I bought this;

[​IMG]

Because I saw what they were going for, and I want to finish it. I still have vivid memories of the one in The FW Masterclass book, and I've never got around to doing one - And I like 'saving' stuff, electronics models or otherwise.

Edit 2:

Got my hands on it. It was surprisingly well constructed! The side and front plates are multi-layer, and a lot of the 'damage' came from clipping off the odds and sods they'd glued on.

I didn't want to just re-do everything, I could have bought a new one and done that, but wanted to lift the box off the track covers, so it all had to come apart.

I put some plasticard box tube up front for the main box to rest on, which propped it above the tracks.

Fortunately a lot of it was greenstuffed together, so it popped apart cleanly for the most part.

I re-did the top, and the back because the back was just blank save for the little handholds and the box I relocated to the side. The rest of the changes should be fairly obvious I guess.

I need to make some bolt heads for around the barrel port, and do something with the track cover joints up front - I might just cover those, though, with some sort of grass tuft..

I figured the damage made it make sense to go more.. Chaos leaning, so I used the book from the Dark Apostle up front, and the bolt pistol from the same on the side for a bit of.. Mad Max. There was more stuff on the sides, but they looked way too busy for my liking, so a lot of it came off. They had tracks just glued to the side, so I popped those off and imitated the hanging method from the Masterclass book.

I can see the rear ladder isn't straight, but I don't know that I can fix that now. I also need to wait for the metric arseload of greenstuff I used to dry before I handle it and put my fat finger in it again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Dec 2021
    Almightyrastus likes this.
  19. Almightyrastus

Quite a surprisingly nice article on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59563630

And very cool for letsmakeitorkie to get some light, her streams are good fun. When I am painting I am normally watching her or Mizzravenb on Twitch (or watching more A Team of course...)

liratheal and Pete J like this.
  20. liratheal

[​IMG]

Finally got around to starting to cast up the walls for the ZM-themed display.

Got a lot of gaps to fill in, and some power cables to extend for the LED strips, and then a boatload of painting to do. I, foolishly, painted the 40mm bases different colours, which means I need to decide on a 'zoning' system to continue that..

I need to start from the bottom and work up - And glue in the walls and whatnot so I can finalise the light positions, which is going to be an arseache unless I give in and remove the doors - They make the gap too narrow when opening, as the tiles are pretty snug in there width ways.

Pete J likes this.