1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Anker USB hub very hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cerberus90, 4 Nov 2021.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just noticed that my Anker 4 port USB3 hub is very hot to the touch (almost too hot to touch), and it's not had anything connected to it.

I'm assuming this isn't good and probably means it's not longed for this world?

I do occasionally get the windows sound that a device has been disconnected and then connected again and I've not worked out what device it is yet, everything seemed to keep working, maybe it's this hub.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Toss it in the WEEE. Electronics getting overly hot, especially with no load is just a bad sign.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If it's excessively hot and it's not under load, it's already dead.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

One of these?
    [​IMG]

I got one not too long ago, never felt it get hot. I'd get it unplugged and binned before it does an nzxt.

theshadow2001 likes this.
  5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yeah its one of those but with the short lead. It's hot again with no load. Unplugged now.

Could do with one with a bit more load capacity really, the latest Anker ones say they'll only supply 900mA. Although having just googled it that's the standard for USB3, maybe I need a powered hub then.

6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

get in touch with anker, they replace it with a newer model with no questions asked . i had a smaller 2 port + sd card reader one . mine tho was buggered plugged in to the yellow charging usb 3 port on my intel nuc rather than the regular blue port on my intel nuc according to anker that's what fried it. they sent me a bigger one and nifty separate card reader

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Oooohh, I'll get in touch with them.

Don't think any of the ports on my mobo are higher power, they're all just blue USB3 ports AFAIK.

8. The_Crapman

Maybe you need something like this that has a few days ports, but them also a few fast charge ports. Ora maybe a separate one for changing like this Arctic one. I got one free with a cooler and use it for my camera and slider, it's great.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yeah I was looking at the Anker one, just £45!, :D, shame amazon seem to have stopped doing they're basics powered hub (although now I think about it that may be USB2).
    I've got an anker wall USB charger that I use for my phone etc, I thought I needed a powered hub for my external hard drives, but now that I've found USB3 only provides 0.9A anyway and my drives were working with that current I should be ok with another basic anker one.

Did send an email to anker, but because my hub was bought in 2016 it's well outside they're warranty period so they couldn't replace or anything, but they do log it on they're systems.

10. The_Crapman

Yeh £45 is a bit steep. I had to get one of the normal hubs as I deleted all the front IO and fannying around at the back is a pain. Got it parked on my monitor stand with some velcro.