1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Bielsa.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackwatch, 17 Nov 2021.

?

Which material for the covers

1. 3mm acrylic

2. 2mm aluminium

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Welcome to my new build log, while not as awesome as some of the builds I have seen over the years on here, it's my build. I don't posses a CNC, or a bottomless tool kit, just a few basic tools and arthritis, so as long as my hands work and I can hold a tool I'll give it a go.

I chose the Lian LI Dynamic XL, as my previous build was in the original Dynamic and my scratch build idea is still in the planning stages, while I work out how to do it. I am hoping to streamline everything and make as much shown off and also as hidden as possible at the same time.

So the case arrived yesterday.

[​IMG]

Once opened up and various sections removed, I made a start on the bottom of the case. I want to try and hide certain aspects so, the first thing to do is sort the bottom radiator and fans.

[​IMG]

Then I started making the template for the cover, which will be made from either 1mm aluminium or 3mm acrylic...I'm still undecided so would love some input below.

[​IMG]

Today I hope to finish planning the bottom cover and also the side cover. The plumbing I have roughed out in my head but that is sometime off yet.

Stay safe out there and I hope to see you back soon

Last edited: 17 Nov 2021
    Cheapskate likes this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

My vote: BOTH.
    You can layer them up and have light come through the plastic layer. Also, plexi is great for building up brackets to put a screw in from an odd angle.

blackwatch likes this.
  3. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Just a small update this evening as most of.my spare time was spent sourcing some materials for the build. I've made the first rough draft for the side fan shroud. All being well when I get another spare day I'll get that modelled right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  4. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

I've had another go at the lower fan shroud and I'm happier with it now.
    [​IMG]
    so I've started on the side section now. Yesterday's attempt has been used to start tonight's log fire, as that's all it was it for lol.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to mark up the fan position for the side, the ATX and GPU cables then the bottom power, reset, RBG wire. The it's a case of pull everything out, convert these templates to .AI files and laser cut the acrylic next week.

Dot_Kappa and Cheapskate like this.
  5. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Working on some of the acrylic and lower plumbing today. I have done a test fit of the lower fan shroud and where the tubing will pass through to the bottom Res.

[​IMG]

I had the acrylic laser cut by Laser web ltd , in Barnsley. I can't recommend them high enough, excellent work and really helpful, friendly people. From now on they will be my go-to company when I need acrylic work.

[​IMG]

Next up mark up the GPU pipe work then on to the side fan shroud.

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  6. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Today, it was time to strip down and clean the CPU and GPU blocks, so I could use them to rough out the loop.
    [​IMG]

I mainly needed to find a location for the drain port and to figure out where / how I was going to run the loop from the lower rad.

[​IMG]

Then it was a case of deciding whether to go Res > Rad > GPU > CPU > Rad > Res
    or Res > Rad > GPU > Rad > CPU > Res.

[​IMG]

I know temps will equalise over time so I'm still torn. I'm more than happy to listen to others advice / ideas.

7. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few days, while trimming some acrylic I had an argument with a table saw and I lost .

[​IMG]

8. Cheapskate

Ow. Is that backlashed plastic? I've never tried to cut acrylic in a table saw, but I had some polycarbonate fly back at me.

9. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

It was. I was trying to cut a small filler piece and couldn't find my usual blade, so had to use the standard one....half way through it slipped and boom, claret everywhere.

I have managed to get a bit more work done. I'm at the point where the back piece is now glued together...

[​IMG]

And I have sanded the edges to get rid of excess glue.

[​IMG]

Now I'm sorting the lower fill section, that I hope to be able to back light.

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  10. blackwatch

blackwatch Minimodder

Well things have started to fit together on the lower fan shroud finally. It's wrap time.

[​IMG]

And here's how it looks so far.

[​IMG]

I may redo it as a few bits got under the wrap here and there, but the main thing is that she's finally taking shape. Today I'll sort the back lighting and lower plumbing, then on to the side shroud again.

Cheapskate likes this.
  11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Jeeesus that's a good amount of blood!

I gotta say i mighta only cut one or 2 bits of plex in my time but never had an argument like that with plex....... what on earth happend exactly ?

12. Cheapskate

I think I'll take this bump as an opportunity to recommend wet-cut tile saws for plastic cutting again. I AM the tile saw apostle, after all.