1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's actually not that high.

I mean... it's not far off, but it's not £900 :grin:

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sooo... 899?

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

/me points at warning he wrote at the start of the post. :rolleyes:

Pete J likes this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Lambo update:

[​IMG]

Progress is temporarily suspended until a missing part turns up.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Lambo update from the weekend:

[​IMG]

This is where the MOC really stands out from the vanilla model - the rear. The exhausts are much more similar to the real car. However, I might swap out the black barrel pieces for some LBG ones as I reckon it'll make it 'pop' a bit more.

I've also been working on the light sabers and Han Solo's blaster, but am missing some pieces, so will update another time.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Another Lambo update:

[​IMG]

I searched through my spare bits box and found a solution to making the exhausts better - this did involve being a little naughty and cutting up a 3L bar for a more convenient solution. The downside is that I now have two LBG barrels turning up in an order that I don't need anymore.

The alternative fins have been installed as well, but were a pain to get on. Never mind, done now!

Last edited: 28 Nov 2021
    liratheal likes this.
  8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Moar Lambo:

[​IMG]

Really taking shape now. Feels solid too.

Vault-Tec, maple, liratheal and 2 others like this.
  9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

YES.

Byron C likes this.
  10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Would look nice alongside the Ducati, but don't think it'll make it onto my want list. i just dont see how the basic build (ignoring the cosmetic externals) can be significantly different...

EDIT: scratch that. its SIGNIFICANTLY bigger :jawdrop: which is weird when the wheels look the same size :eyebrow:

Last edited: 10 Dec 2021
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

THE LAMBO SIAN IS COMPLETE!

[​IMG]

A nice model to build, even though towards the end I had to rummage through the spare bits box and nab some from the 720S I've yet to build. I've already commented on how the gear change mechanism is better than previous iterations and when having a little 'drive', everything felt nice and smooth. The HoG steering wheel (added by the upgrade pack) is something that Lego really should implement by default. Also, the white elements used for the headlights are GLOW IN THE DARK (that was a big thing growing up in the late 80s/early 90s).

And here she is with her sibling (who are also awaiting their upgrades):

[​IMG]

I would expect Lego to release a 1:8 scale Ferrari next year, so the Landy will have to be moved when that happens. I need more house space.

WHAT NEXT?

I've pretty much done all the original Lego projects I bought parts for (the Lightsabers and Han Solo Blaster are also done - I'll post a picture soon as I want to arrange some minifigs in front of them). During Black Friday sales, I did nab some instructions for Luke's Land Speeder (minifig scale) but have only just started collecting parts for it.

In the past, I mentioned doing the Ferrari SF90 Stradale, but after further consideration, I decided against it as it's merely a reskinned Sian. I then started thinking about doing an F40 as it is undoubtedly one of the most iconic cars in history - I even found some free instructions for a pretty good model, but would like to mull over it some more, maybe even having a stab at doing my first MOC (don't hold your breath).

One thing I will be doing is tidying up the lounge- I have several unused parts in addition to my spares box and it may be good to inventorise them properly over Christmas to make my life easier when ordering parts for the next project... whatever that may end up being.

Quick summary of outstanding projects:

UCS Falcon MKII: 63 unique elements left
    Chestburster: 26 unique elements left
    McLaren 720S: 0% built
    Luke's Landspeeder - Minifig Scale: 34 unique elements left
    Space Marine Dreadnought: 9 unique elements left
    The Motorized Tumbler Batmobile: awaiting motorisation of new 2021 model
    Robocop: 53 unique elements left
    ED-209: 0% built
    RoboCop 2 Robo CAIN: 9 unique elements left
    Metal Gear Rex (Minifig scale): 61 unique elements left
    Sauron: 16 unique elements left

So, the next project to work on (if you haven't already seen from the title) is...

Drumroll...

Maclaren 720s!

loftie, Vault-Tec, liratheal and 5 others like this.
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

And so the 720S begins...

[​IMG]

At this stage, I've already made some minor changes to switch it over to RHD - there's a small chance I might have to take it apart again in case of 'clashes' but we'll see. I've also made a slight change so I could have a nice, shiny gear stick, which originally was just a 7 long beam (which looked a bit boring).

Also, I completed the lightsabres and Han Solo's blaster last week!

[​IMG]

I had to use a little bit of Blutac to hold the bottom of Luke's RotJ sabre together as it used an illegal technique that relied on a friction grip that perhaps 1 in every 100 1x1 blocks can do - a bit naughty! The blaster is purely display - the handle is 'held' on by a loose 2 stud connection. I'll be collecting more minifigs in the future - need to beef up the Imperial presence!

In Lego news, there's a rumour that the next 18+ Avengers Lego set will be a lifesize (or more likely on the same scale as the Infinity Gauntlet) Mjolnir. If so, I'll gladly replace my current MOC with it.

13. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

a) love the display
    b) if that rumour is true, might have to get hold of the infinity gauntlet afterall... :/

Pete J likes this.
  14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Well it'll keep me busy over the weekend;
    [​IMG]

IanW, Pete J and Vault-Tec like this.
  15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Thread jack (PM me if you want it removed from your thread)

New toy for xmas.

Looks like this might take a while, destruction book thicker than most phone books nowadays and 1077 peices;
    [​IMG]PXL_20211227_152338578 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Looks like we're starting with the rear diff;

[​IMG]PXL_20211227_154757656~2 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Bell housing and arms for something attached to chassis;

[​IMG]PXL_20211227_155040886 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Rear diff and chassis get married;

[​IMG]PXL_20211227_155535415 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Sway bars (??) and suspension added, this could do with a smidge less compression;

[​IMG]PXL_20211227_160455521 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Another gear assembly mounted above rear diff. No idea what this is yet;

[​IMG]PXL_20211227_162545498 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

That's about an hour in so far, bad light stopped play, and the first 3 bags are still not empty.
    As can be seen from the last photmograph I switched to building it from the supplied paper book to the PDF in the Lego app as it's much easier to see with my eyes

IanW and Pete J like this.
  16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Carry on chap, I always intended for people to post their Lego antics here too if they wanted!

Hmm, maybe I'll edit the first post to make this more obvious.

IanW and mrlongbeard like this.
  17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Inbuilt display stand added;
    [​IMG]PXL_20211228_120749699 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Stand rated as naff, so promptly deleted form model

Steering assembly coming together, along with a 20 minute session with daughter on how rack n pinion worked before the days of power steering;
    [​IMG]PXL_20211228_132759322 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Steering assembly finished sans suspension, the lever at the back is to activate the stand that is no longer present;
    [​IMG]PXL_20211228_144201416 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Tiny con rods, but not so tiny when having to assemble the timing chain later;
    [​IMG]PXL_20211228_145540577 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Engine mounted, front suspension mounted, timing chain installed, rolling chassis achieved;
    [​IMG]PXL_20211228_152348880 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

The unknown upper gear assembly from post 1 is just a tiddly bit to make the steering work.

So far there have 'only' been 2 missing parts, but they have been salvaged from the deleted stand

IanW and Pete J like this.
  18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

End of the year, so I thought I'd do a bit of a summary

Current/upcoming MOCs

Maclaren 720S

When I started this, I was aware that the original design doesn't have the brake calipers like the other car models I have. Over CHristmas, I've had a bit of a think and put in a cheap order for a few bits that should hopefully allow me to remedy this. Additional I bought a couple of extra Lambo little round tiles so I can put them on the Centenario.

UCS Falcon MKII

55 unique parts (831 parts) left to purchase

I can't believe I've managed to get together ~93% of the parts required for this monster! Unfortunately the remaining 7% accounts for ~20% of the cost. I also have most (if not all) of the minifigs I intend to put inside.

This will likely be the last model I put together, although I might do the upgrade packs for other models first. Not looking forward to having to move some things around and putting up some more shelves...

Luke's Landspeeder - Minifig Scale

17 unique parts (50 parts) left to purchase

Small little MOC I'll probably do when I inevitably find I'm missing a part and have to put out another order - once I have all the parts!

Chestburster

26 unique parts (90 parts) left to purchase

While I'm looking forward to completing this, the remaining parts are annoyingly expensive.

Upgrade packs for 42009 crane, Chiron and GT3

All the parts are bought for these. I'll probably do the crane first, but I'm not looking forward to taking apart the GT3 and Chiron as they took me a while to put together! Ah well, it'll be worth it for the end result.

Space Marine Dreadnought

9 unique parts (30 parts) left to purchase

This is most likely to be the next MOC I start building after the 720S. Looking forward to this one! EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SERVE!

Robocop

49 unique parts (130 parts) left to purchase

Like the Chestburster, the parts remaining are irritatingly expensive. But it's going to look amazing.

ED-209

Just need to settle down and build this one. YOU NOW HAVE 5 SECONDS TO COMPLY.

RoboCop 2 Robo CAIN

8 unique parts (19 parts) left to purchase

Only a few bits left to buy. Fortunately they're all available from UK sellers.

Metal Gear Rex (Minifig scale)

56 unique parts (262 parts) left to purchase

Eye wateringly expensive. One to chip away at over the next year or so. Stay tuned.

Sauron

14 unique parts (50 parts) left to purchase

Almost there! Quite cheap for the remaining parts, but have to buy most of them from overseas.

Minas Tirith

98 unique parts (487 parts) left to purchase

A cool little representation of the infamous city from Lord of the Rings:

[​IMG]

I have only just added this to the list as it seems fitting to go with Sauron. Fortunately no rare parts, so perfectly affordable

Official Lego models

76190 Iron Monger Mayhem

I'm holding off building this model as I'm hoping someone will release an 'upgrade' MOC for it. Chubbybots has done something on it:

...but I'm hoping someone else makes a nice little PDF with a convenient list of additional parts.

21314 TRON: Legacy

Another little build I'll do when I find I'm missing a part for another project. Pretty cool:

[​IMG]

MOCs for consideration

Over the last couple of years, my 'Lego MOCs' bookmarks folder has grown and now has ~60-70 items on - excluding a few custom minifigure stores and the like.

Ferrari F40

[​IMG]

The Eurobricks thread for this can be found here. The designer has been on and off the MOC since 2014. The latest iteration is a step backwards in my opinion as he's ripped out the gearbox and implemented a simplified geartrain, so the overall shape is more correct. Fortunately, a PDF and parts list were issued at the final stages of the version with the gearbox.

I'm umming and erring over this one as the design is now a little out of date, looking a bit more retro compared to other cars in my collection (excepting the GT500). The engine bay, while functional, lacks the detail of newer models. The exhausts are also a bit simplified, not showing that signature 'two large and one small'. Also, the gear shift mechanism, while clever, relies on parts staying in the same place through friction on axles, which is never really done elsewhere as there's the potential for it to slip if not moved correctly.

The good news is that if I go ahead, I actually have enough parts in the spares box to make a decent headstart, and the few rare parts specified aren't ridiculous in cost.

Star Wars Mega Figures

A MOCer by the name of Albo.Lego hit upon the idea of using the recent head busts to make an appropriately sized figure. The result?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a range of them available (including an Iron Man) and he plans to add to them. I think these would look bloody brilliant at the 'floor' of my displays, as they're large enough to do so. There's even a Han in carbonite...

UCS Sandcrawler - Minifig Scale

[​IMG]

Another potential BIG Star Wars build that would fit in nicely being on the floor next to the other models. I'm not collecting bits for it, but maybe if I've finished everything in a couple of years and I want something else to build...

BeauchN and liratheal like this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum