1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Can't get 4k resolution on Win10 with Samsung 49" NU7100 TV

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 3lusive, 10 Dec 2021.

1. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Hi peeps

I decided to take the plunge on a large 4k 49" TV to use as one of my desktop displays for productivity (to really utilize the 3840 x 2160p res). This is the TV. I got it in a cheap deal and there's no dead pixels and everything seemed fine. When I connected it initially via HDMI to the PC (it has 3 x HDMI 2.0 and should do 4k @ 60hz without issue), it was working perfectly and the picture quality was really good in full 4k resolution. No flickering or anything, a stable connection.

However, after I went out and locked Windows, when I returned it lost the signal to the HDMI-connected PC (the other 32" monitor via DP did not though). I've restarted the computer, and now I CANNOT get Win10 to display on the TV in native 3840 x 2160p resolution.

Display settings in Win10 lists the 4k resolution, but when I click it, it blinks but does NOT change to 3840 x 2160p. I can ONLY display currently in 1920 x 1080p which is really annoying. Also, I notice when I reconnect the TV to the computer, the Samsung TV states a message saying it 'applied settings to get the best picture' (or something similar), but the picture looks somewhat washed out and not the correct image it was displaying prior to me nipping out and obviously not in the correct res. I feel it is something in Samsungs TV settings that is doing this...

It's a Smart TV and it has 3 x 2.0 HDMI slots. The same issue happens regardless of HDMI slot used (I've tried all 3). My graphics card has both HDMI and DP, and previously it was displaying the 32" monitor (LU32J590UQRXXU) in 4k monitor via HDMI (and another 4k on the DP), so I can't see how this can be a cable OR graphics card problem??? My Win10 is completely up to date, as are all hardware drivers, and as the Radeon graphics.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have for my own benefit ordered some new High speed HDMI cables anyway, but how can it be that when it will run the 32" in 4k via current HDMI cable perfectly (as it has been doing for the last year)?

In AMD settings, it also will NOT allow me to set a custom 4k resolution for the TV, it now only thinks it is 1920 x 1080p. Bearing in mind 2 hours ago I was sat here sitting using it in perfect 4k res! Really annoying, any thoughts???

EDIT: I've now realised it will only work in native res in DUPLICATE mode in Windows, NOT extended?

Last edited: 10 Dec 2021
  2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

My guess would be a crap hdmi cable. You’d be surprised at how many hdmi cables there are labelled as being able to do a spec and then failing or only doing so intermittently.

however looking at your edit, this could also be a limitation of your GPU. What is the GPU? (to exact part number).

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Hi Andrew, my GPU is Radeon RX550 Power Color 4GB (https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1585713590) and the rest of my brand new rig is below (R9 5950X). I didn't order a new GFX card due to the costs going ridiculous and me not being a PC gamer. The Radeon software is the latest driver (21.10.4), and for over a year I have run 2 x 3840x2160p and 1 x 2560x1440p monitors from this GPU with the same cables (DP, HDMI and DVI), which is now NOT working with this Samsung 49" Smart TV.

Right this moment, I am typing to you in native 3840 x 2160p on the 49" TV and it looks simply superb BUT it is in duplicate mode in Win10 display settings - so the other monitor which is DP connected 32" in 4k is duplicated and if I switch to extended mode, it makes this 49" TV switch to only 1920 x 1080p in Windows display settings? Even though sometimes it will list the 4k res in Windows settings, but when I switch to it extended mode it refreshes/blinks but does NOT switch to 3840 x 2160p. So basically I can only run either the single 49" monitor or duplicate mode if I connect further displays to get the higher 4k res, I cannot run extended in 4k with this display.

Samsung tech support have suggested I may need to update the TV firmware which I am doing right now, and if that fails they will do a HDMI port reset remotely, and if that fails I need to try a new HDMI cable (which I've ordered on amazon coming tomorrow), and if this fails it may be a windows or GPU bug issue and not coming from the TV (I am really skeptical of this though).

Another browse of the web suggests it may be a color format problem or chroma subsampling, but I don't fully understand how to resolve that if true.

Really really annoying. If the cable works for a smaller 32" 4k monitor will that not necessarily be true for the same resolution on a 49" TV? Does the larger physical size of the display mean more data is actually passed through the cable compared with the smaller 32" 4k?

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I use a Samsung TV as a monitor and it will often automatically decide my PC is a standard HDMI device and then switch settings from PC to HDMI, quite annoying, so you need to relabel the port on the TV as PC for best colour and no processing, in addition the HD Deep colour switch needs to be set for any port that you want to do 4k60 or it will default to 4k30.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2021
  5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Thanks for the advice, how do I go about relabelling the port and applying no processing?? And the Deep colour switch?

This is what Windows currently says it is displaying for this TV (bearing in mind it seems to be working perfectly right now but only in duplicate mode):

https://ibb.co/PzRq5Vs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

can't comment on the issue with duplicate and external as that is possibly a GPU issue, perhaps it can't handle two 4k60 screens, it is a lot of pixels but the fact the specs say eyefinity would suggest other wise, it could be the cables the TV may be using more of the HDMI than the monitor, for example extra audio or network over HDMI uses bandwidth that might of otherwise been used for display, you can test this by disabling HDMI UHD colour as this would halve the bandwidth the TV needs giving 4k30..

to label the port go to sources and when on your PC one if it say HDMI push up go to edit and select PC.

The UHD setting is found like so, but looking at your image it must be set or you would not get 4k@60

Settings -> General -> External Device Manager -> HDMI UHD Color

7. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

In regards to the graphics card, as I mentioned I have for over a year run 2 x 32" 3840x2160p and 1 x 2560x1440p monitors (not TVs though) in extended mode previously without any issue whatsoever (with the same cables), so although I can't rule it out I'm doubtful its the GPU.

Very interesting about the HDMI, so the TV may actually be pulling more data through the cable afterall (so it could be a cable issue). When I've had cable issues in the past though it would generally flicker or artefact/fuzzy picture, which this is not doing. Would you suggest I order something like a HDMI 2.1 48Gbs to test (8k60 cable), or would a High Speed HDMI 2.0/18Gbs cable do (this one is coming tomorrow anyway)?

If this means anything to you, it has Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) turned on in the External device settings of the TV, but I can turn it off and I think it can be turned on for any port (it has 3 x HDMI 2.0 ports). https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-anynet-plus/. So I think this means it will pull ethernet too through the cable when turned on?

And it also mentions one of the ports is ARC-compatible (audio return channel) but it is currently plugged in to Port 2 which is not so I don't think this is currently the issue.

I've just checked the TV settings and HMDI UHD colour is disabled currently in the TV External settings?

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Interesting, without HDMI UHD colour set to enabled you shouldn't be able to do 4k60 on the TV even on its own.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ok so I did a system reset on the TV to try and install the latest firmware (which states version 1320 on my TV). Samsung seem to think that the latest firmware is 1320.4 (not 1320), but when I connect my TV to the net and try and download it says I have the latest version (same as if I manually try and install via USB). So the TV thinks it's the latest firmware.

After the system reset of the TV and leaving it off for an hour, it did NOT revert the firmware back to the original as I assumed it would do, so I didn't think it would do anything.

However, right now it has spontaneously begun to work. It's in extended mode in Win10 display settings with both monitors in 3840 x 2160p @ 60hz. I've no idea why it has worked and there is a possibility after turning off or later this week it will start playing up again, so when the new cable comes I will try it with that anyway.

Interestingly, Samsung TV settings says that HMDI UHD colour is turned off, and Anynet+ is turned ON, when according to what I've read the opposite should be true for my needs lol. But it's working right now and it's definitely in 60hz as it feels exactly the same as the other display and not a slow 30hz. So as long as it stays like this all is good (although I hate it when something works but you don't understand why!).

Bizarre, I'm thinking there is some bug along the way here that is causing the whole issue, if I continue to have problems or I get a conclusive reason as to why this error is occurring I will report back.

BTW the display is a VA panel with super deep blacks and is simply STUNNING when in full 4k resolution. It has confirmed my suspicion that to truly see the detail of 4k you need a large display, 32" just doesn't cut it even if you sit super close. A much bigger screen is just better, you see the detail so much better, and can be more productive, I love it!

https://ibb.co/gF15Cdf
    https://ibb.co/fSLm4nr
    https://ibb.co/rHHSr9c

Last edited: 12 Dec 2021
  10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Good to hear it is working, modern firmware might automatically set the TV based on the edid data, my tv is quite a few years old, if the Samsund TV experience is still as flaky as my old it will switch modes at random and for no fathomable reason, it is its only black mark in an otherwise great experience.

I'm of same opinion bigger is better, I have mine on an extendable arm so I can have it back for comfortable working but pull it close for things like racing games.

3lusive likes this.
  11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Thanks, I turned everything off last night and it is has restarted with all the settings working, so for now it is OK (although I fear the issue is not properly resolved and different use cases, such as adding further monitors etc, may bring the issue back).

I may as well ask this question now. I plan on buying a second identical or very similar large 4k TV to replace the 32" 4k which doesn't look right next to it, BUT my GPU only has 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x DP 1.4 and 1 x DVI.

Would it be possible to get 4k60 through a HDMI to DP converter to hook the second large TV up to it? Or is this hit and miss? So run DP from the PC and connect to HDMI on the TV??

Last edited: 13 Dec 2021
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Should be fine i use a DP to HDMI convertor off of my laptop from a Thunderbolt dock and get 4k60.

3lusive likes this.
  13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ok so the TV has been working fine in 4k on HDMI for Windows (resolved itself without me understanding how).

Now I have decided to connect another TV up to get dual 4k in large size, so I have 1x 49" Samsung connected with high speed HDMI and 1x 55" Samsung connected with this 1.4DP to 2.0HDMI cable (which permits 4k60hz), and right now it seems to be working fine.

However, I have noticed in Windows display settings that the one connected by normal HDMI is ycbcr444, but the DP to HDMI connected one is ycbcr420. They are both 8bit, with SDR colour space, and in 4k @ 60hz. Is this correct that they would display different colour formats? I do not notice any perceivable picture quality differences - they are both VA panels with excellent black depth and contrast, set to Dynamic in TV settings.

Also, the HDR switch in display settings cannot be turned on (although both TVs do support it according to Samsung? Now I do not game on the PC, I game on the xbox but is there a way to turn it on should I want to for movies on PC (not that I commonly do this as it would normally be on TV upstairs)? Again, no biggy and I'm very happy with the quality of the picture and 4k in such a big size, it's awesome.

14. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

For HDR you likely need to change the hdmi port to enhanced or extended (whatever samsung call it) - its not enabled by default and could be what is preventing the wider colour space needed for hdmi to pass HDR content - also be aware that in that mode some non-HDR content can look very odd and you'll probably want to disable it for some of the time. I find that watching sky go on my tv produces this odd colour banding unless i disable HDR in windows temporarily