1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You have my sympathies. I tend to joke that my marriage only works because my wife is a psychiatric nurse (now also retired). :p

adidan likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

"Calm down and take this medicine"

I can see how that works :)

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Vanilla Sky 1/10

Yeah... this sort of movie just annoys the pants off me. I get that some people really like the premise and they payoff, but IMO other movies with similar (but not identical) premises do a far better job of it.

The Equalizer 8/10

Silly movie, but figured a rewatch was in order. To be honest, some of the best scenes / sequences are early in the movie, but it's still a good watch.

Pete J likes this.
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

The Beast of War (1988) 7/10

1981 Afganistan; A Russian tank and its crew get lost and are hunted by rebel forces. Got a thing for tank movies right now and this was really quite good. Pretty brutal as well.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2021
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Retiring? you never mentioned that before...:p:

In other news, we watched 'A Boy Called Christmas' at the weekend, which was Uplifting and slightly predictable/10

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The Unforgivable. (2021).

This popped up on Netflix and I was at a loose end, so given how upbeat and lively she usually is and how warm she has made me feel in previous movies (Sandra Bullock) I figured I would give it a go. Do not read the rest if you haven't seen it. I don't know how to do spoiler tags etc.

The movie starts off and there is no connection to her whatsoever. I began to notice that the actual filming looked a bit low budget in places. The more it goes on the more you sorta don't like her. Then the story unfolds (a bit slowly, but OK) and you start to understand it more. However, it's only right at the end that they reveal her true character, at which point yeah, you totally fall in love with her. The most notable moments for me was when the girl plays the piano and belts out "Everything in its right place" by Radiohead. I listened to that about ten times. And the ending? I just totally burst into tears. Absolutely beautiful way to end a otherwise very grim and depressing movie.

I'll give it 9/10. Mostly because I don't really remember Crash, and I have never seen her play a role where she is not all bubbly and bright. But man she does the opposite of it incredibly well. It kind of gives you feelings of pure desperation for something more upbeat and happy, yet keeps you feeling anxious and sad.

LennyRhys likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Free Guy - 6.5/10

TL;DR = Tron meets Fortnite.

8. adidan

That the one with Jodie Comer in it?

If it is I cannot say that I won't watch it...

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's very silly. I thought it was a lot of fun.

adidan likes this.
  10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yep, that's the one. Actually pretty good for an easy watching type affair.

adidan likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So I'm 4:10 into bad boys for life, Martin Lawrence appears to have come straight from filming big momma's house 15 and will smith is driving a 992 Carrera 4S. Now, the 3litre twin turbo unit in that probably has more power than the 964 turbo s that he drove in the first film, but not quite as much as the 575 maranello he drive in bad boys 2 and is most definitely a huge step down from either of them. I know I'm likely going to be disappointed for the next 2 hours, but I'm bored and very depressed so whatever I watch will be tarnished. And the sweet sesame popcorn is going cold, so let's see how this goes.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I only stuck through the whole film as it has my motorcycle in it, well, not 'mine' obvs, but you know what I mean

13. The_Crapman

I forgot to add that they added V8 noises over the Porsche. Not cool man.

14. The_Crapman

Only got 50 mins in as having to sort some other stuff out, but they've only just
    Got round to talking about the fact the Mike ain't with Marcus's sister and they've had at least 2 conversations about life and love earlier in the film. It's like they got part way through filming and suddenly remembered, then couldn't be bothered going back to put it in earlier.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Watched it myself at the weekend. I'll wait for your thoughts, though mine can be summed up in one word: 'why'?

16. adidan

I'll answer that, 'pension'.

Pete J and The_Crapman like this.
  17. The_Crapman

Bad Boys For Life - ride together, died together from boredom/10
    The preamble was far too long, what happened after they got on the plane to Mexico was pretty decent, maybe even from when they go into the club, but up till that point it was tedious. I think Lawrence making zero effort to get into any kind of shape didn't help, too many callbacks to previous films randomly and lazily shoehorned in a lot of the joke fell flat. Just another cash grab.

adidan and Pete J like this.
  18. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Matrix Resurrections - very meta and the new storyline is very in keeping with the original trilogy and quite clever how they've done it.

Excellent special effects as you'd expect, also stay for the end of the credits.

19. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I was impressed with Matrix 4 - plenty meta as stated but allows for another sequel machine!

I really liked Spiderman No Way Home as it allows Sony/ Disney to work out it's differences and have two different Spidey universes... no spoilers - it had plenty of humour, meta, heart and pathos! No Way Home was exactly what was needed after Homecoming and Far from Home - just reiterating that Brits can do American Superheroes without batting an eyelid!

20. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

The Matrix Resurrections 2/10
    Totally unimpressed, to me they are trying to milk an old cow and it don't wash