1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Ethernet cable crimping vs CAT ratings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 6 Jan 2022.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I would like to run 2 Ethernet cables through a small-ish hole that was drilled for 1 Ethernet cable. In order to achieve this, I need to buy a crimping tool because the hole with current cables wouldn't fit another plug through.

How do I ensure the cable I get through and crimped is up to certain CAT rating? I'd like to achieve CAT 6 or 6a.

Long version:
    My motherboard have 2 Ethernet ports, I would like to use the 2.5Gbe for a direct connection to a 2.5Gbe USB adaptor on my NAS, for now. So in the even USB adopter no longer works, the NAS is still always accessible through old method.

The small hole between PC and NAS is through solid external wall, I've no way to make it bigger without powerful SDS drill and a large bit. It was drilled to fit through single RJ45 connector. So there is room to fit more cable through, but not the connector plug.

I've never done Ethernet cable crimping before, always bought cable with CAT rating. So I'm puzzled how to achieve adequate CAT rating through self crimped cable. For longevity (up to 10 Gbe), I would like to lay CAT 6 this time. But the crimp tool doesn't say what CAT rating it can achieve.

Is it the cable itself that matters more or combination of termination and cable?

This CAT 6a cable reel + any not rated crimper and plug is okay?

Last edited: 6 Jan 2022
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

CAT 7 was never certified by the standard body, CAT 8 exists though.

That crimper may not work well with that cable, the RJ45 plugs included will be for stranded cable & probably CAT 5/6.
    You need specific plugs for solid core

wyx087 likes this.
  3. wyx087

Just to clarify, for possible future upgrade to 10 Gbps Ethernet, what CAT rating do I need to achieve? 6 or 6a or 6e? It's around 10m for this run, probably will never be more than 20m.

Would something like this crimper be better? It says it can do up to CAT 7 (though as you said, it's not certified so feels like false advertising?)

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Cat 6 for 10GB

tbh I would get a double faceplate and punchdown then just put a cable from the wall port to the machine. It's soo much easier than making your own cables imo

If you still want to have rj45 ends on them, look for pass through ones, lining ever single wire up correctly to the right length is a quick way to win a game of swear bingo

wyx087 likes this.
  5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There's no way short of £1000+ equipment that will test/certify your cable to a certain rating - so just do as well as you can do within "DIY" sort of expenditure.

Get a non-bargain-basement crimping tool and IMO avoid any that claims to be "CAT N rated" or "certified", because that's nonsense. I have this one and like it a lot - I can't attest to it being better than any other quality crimp tools, but it was a revelation replacing my bargain one with it.

I'd recommend some pass-through connectors for ease of crimping and ability to minimise the untwisted ends - but don't use a crimper that trims and crimps at the same time, this can leave you with exposed ends that can cause issues with POE, instead push the ends through as far as you can, trim off any excess, and then back them out by 1mm before crimping. This probably ins't textbook, but IME has worked very well with minimum faff, no issues with multiple patches with CAT6 cable/connectors at 10Gbit.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Exactly my thoughts, punch it down to ports then used pre-made cables for the patch leads.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

+++

i've made Rj45 ends with shielded cat6a cable before, its fine and do-able (cheap crimper & Stanley knife..) but I wouldn't recommend it. takes forever, handled PoE fine though, so cant be that bad :grin:

i'm actually about to run some more of it, and i'm doing exactly what deathtaker said. buying some faceplates and a punch down.

wyx087 likes this.
  8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Do not buy shielded cable; ungrounded shielding is far worse than no shielding at all.
    If you really want 10gigE, go for cat6 (cat6a is only required on long runs), but otherwise cat5e is just fine and will work up to 5gigE, so long as you do your terminations correctly. I also find cat5e easier to terminate (solid is also easier than stranded)
    There are different connectors for cat5e and cat6 as well as solid and stranded connectors, but the crimpers are the same. The crimper and connectors you linked are probably cat5e, so maybe best to buy cat5e.
    As other have mentioned, 110 punch-down (or tool-less) keystones are also an option, but unless this is a permanent installation (left in place if you ever move out), then it's probably not worth it - extra connectors also do degrade the signal somewhat.

wyx087 likes this.
  9. wyx087

I hadn't considered wallplate and didn't know such thing as keystone! This is perfect for my needs. Thank you all.

So, easiest method is to buy 2 regular CAT6 ethernet cable, cut one end off and feed it through the hole. Finally use a keystone to make a connector out of it.

This tool-less keystone should do the job?

10. play_boy_2000

It might not be robust over the long term unprotected, but I guess that would be a cheap and cheerful solution.

11. wyx087

Duck tape to the rescue? It'll be behind a cupboard never touched.

12. play_boy_2000

Yeah, behind a cupboard should be fine.

wyx087 likes this.