1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Wasn't quite so bad when the quack pressed on my knees, in just the right place to confirm osteo-arthritis.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Started a new module in university today, Mathematics for Computing. Among the first exercises, under the headline of "Basic Numeracy"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got some reading to do, apparently.

Isitari, IanW and adidan like this.
  3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

MLyons and IanW like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thank you for the recommendation! It might well be the first book I buy since September!

I mean.... I'd seen that before as a gag, but never thought that anyone would ever implement something like that! This must be seriously niche to put up with that!

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Got through a few years of engineering with K.A. Stroud, but as I recall it may be a better exercise book, than a tutorial book. It does start as basic as order of precedence of operations. But its fairly understandable for a maths book. Kahn academy is good to learn the basics, if you're that kind of learner.

This one might help with your exponents situation above:

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think I can help with th....

[​IMG]

Maybe not.

Bon chance mon ami.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If you are considering buying it, don’t. Send me your address, I have an earlier version I will send you. I haven’t opened it since my course finished.

Pete J and adidan like this.
  9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yay! I got it right.

Not by being clever though. Just thinking that the correct one looked the most likely and checking it via Excel. And to think once upon a time I completed a maths module as part of my first engineering degree....

And yeah, @jinq-sea 's right about Stroud. I have my copy from my uni days in my study, as well as the sequel, 'Advanced Mathematics'. In that, the protagonist of the first book has to deal with a new threat emerging to world peace, which turns out to be led by his brother.

Byron C likes this.
  10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

AWS Console, with some date/time in US, some in UTC, some in local, often with no indication which it is.

Byron C likes this.
  11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Both of these. Tore both calves playing football at some 20kg heavier than I used to be, while still feeling sore from the week before.

Pete J likes this.
  12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Last week I wake up in the morning and the wife announces she need to go to the hospital. Hey kids, I can't take to to school this morning cause I'm taking Mom to the hospital... She's was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism steaming from a deep vein thrombosis in her leg. :sigh:

The kicker... insurance wont pay for the medication with out a doctor's explanation of why it has been perscriped. Look the drug up, it is a blood thinner used for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Look at the form doctor is to fill in for the insurance claim, there are two approved conditions for the drug can be perscribed for, drum roll please, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. So why is there any extra paper work to have this drug covered by my insurance? :wallbash: So not only is this wasting my time, but my pharmacist's, and the attending ER doctor that gave the prescription. Plus some bureaucratic at my insurance company who has to process the claim, and there is no guarantee they will approve it.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

This is why, here in the UK, we need to keep the NHS out of private hands.

Isitari and mi1ez like this.
  14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nah, you not thinking it through like a Tory. You flog it to the Americans for a quick cash injection to "Level Up" the country i.e. secure a few infrastructure projects for your mates and bag some directorships for your other mates, but you plan it to hit hardest when the opposition are inevitably back in power and blame them for not acting to mitigate the medical bankruptcies.

It's a win win

Isitari, mi1ez, adidan and 2 others like this.
  15. adidan

Javid has already forced the NHS to hand over hundreds of millions to private healthcare firms to be on standby for patients over the next couple of months - whether they get any or not.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

I do understand how bad it already is, not least because my wife worked in the NHS for many years and was a UNISON shop steward.

Isitari, IanW and adidan like this.
  17. adidan

Yeah, I think it's bad and then I hear more crap about it.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

TBH Khan academy was my first thought - I went through some Khan Academy stuff last year and it was really well explained, way better than anything I remember from school.

Thank you, I will PM you!

19. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

BMW X5 2005. Nuff said.

ElThomsono likes this.
  20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I totally agree, there is no reason that healthcare to be operated with profits, it should be run at cost. A lot of bureaucracy be cut when you not trying to find ways to maximise profits, appease the shareholders and pretending to offer a service to the public. For years my provincial government was doing their hardest to privatise the healthcare system, while citing the UK as an example of a successful conversion. *shakes head*

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.