1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The final word on the DHL import VAT saga:

dhl.jpg

Yes, "IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED" of Negative One Hundred and Ninety-Six Pounds and Eighty Seven Pence Only. I'll get right on that, DHL...

GaryP, IanW, adidan and 5 others like this.
  2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Recieved the first in progress images of my custom Battletech miniatures, holy **** I need to look at getting into 3d printing.

[​IMG]

Almightyrastus, Byron C and Pete J like this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

2 things today:-

• I think I finally got to the bottom of why work's 3D printer had gone haywire - Turns out one of the endstop microswitches had gotten its wires trapped & mangled between the drive belt & pulley.
    • Our actual corporate overlord (CEO of USA megacorp that owns us) has announced a "one time special bonus" for February's paycheck. Last one we had was for a 53rd week's pay at Xmas 2020.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Those look awesome.

You'd proably want a resin printer for something like this, 'regular' hot-end printers probably have the resolution for miniatures. Resin printers produce some amazing results but they're not without their own faff. Check to see whethere's a "fab lab", makerspace, etc, near to you - might be more economical to use their facilities instead of investing in your own equipment. I just found out yesterday that the university I go to has a "fab lab" and their 3D printer rates are pretty damn cheap - £2 per hour and 70p per metre of filament (or 50p per ml for resin).

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tbh looking at what a good resin printer can do im leaning towards it being a somewhat business investment especially with my skills in 3D, right now im researching options but the elagoo saturn 4k has caught my eye.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

found an unopened letter from the bank that looks like it landed whilst i was on holiday

its only a repayment cheque on my mortgage for a grand. :thumb:

Almightyrastus, IanW and Pete J like this.
  7. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

I've just managed to get a credit card paid off. It feels good having the balance read null. Only one more to go now.

DeadP1xels, Isitari, Pete J and 2 others like this.
  8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Last few days of my current job, not long now :D

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looks like karma wants you to have that Saturn 4k :thumb:

Byron C likes this.
  10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

and a washing station :thumb:

Byron C, IanW and Almightyrastus like this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I got the "Mercury X" bundle when they launched it, to go with my OG Mars.
    It's really nice to have separate washer & UV boxen, but the shared power brick is imho a weak point, and several people on /r/ElegooMars have noted that the grub screw on the washer's magnetic wheel (for the stirrer) has been loose or missing on some units.

12. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Another munch and a date today

Byron C likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

14. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

12 months MOT, no advisories. At bloody last.

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

After a bit of a play with MSI clock curves, I have managed to get the laptop 3070M to around 1750Mhz core clock @ 139w average power usage. Memory is also happy at a full 1 Ghz OC although performance improvements are very much application dependant (finite power budget via Dynamic boost - score went down in 3DMark with the memory overclocked).

Scores up around 5% in Unigine Heaven and 3DMark

In Heaven it is peaking at 139.1FPS which is quicker than the 2070S in my wife's machine running at 1950/15000 by around 5 FPS :)

Now to see if any of this works in CP2077 with Ray Tracing...

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Passed the Police physical, celebrating with several thousand calories of pizza

17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Finally got my car back, hadn’t driven it in 10 days or so. The sound from the bearing was getting louder and the ride just didn’t feel right so played it safe and kept her parked until the garage could sort it.

Instead I borrowed my dads Nissan Juke, partners Ford Ka & when work was being done a rather fetching Hyundai i20. All very nice comfortable cars, value for money and extremely affordable in comparison. I particularly liked the i20 for some reason.

A new car is needed in 12 months or so, I’d almost come round to the idea of saving myself some money and going for something overly sensible.

That was until I slipped back Into the driving seat of my car and all those plans went out the window again!

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I often have that problem. I drive a tuned & lowered sports car that is frankly unsuited to UK roads as it likes a smooth surface. Every time I drive my partner's car, which is quick but properly set up for rubbish surfaces etc. I feel like it's time to change out to something more sensible, more refined.

Then I get back in mine and realise that I'm ok with the comfort compromise for now. It's a go-kart and makes each journey much harder work than it needs to be, but I'm alive whilst ragging it around B-roads.

Pete J likes this.
  19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

We've been dealing with a non-technical manager who has supreme confidence in himself, telling us that a comms issue that suddenly hit all of our sites, was caused by the 50+ external routers and not the central VPN concentrator. We created a test that proved him wrong and we're gonna present the results on Monday. Smug mode engaged.

Pete J, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Nothing better than the cheep-cheep-cheep of a powerful RWD car making its way out of a corner, feeling every little traction loss as it pushes its way out.