1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Virtual CDRW

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dr. Coin, 2 Feb 2022.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I am looking for a utility or software that will install a virtual optical drive that can be detect by other CD burning software and write the 3rd party image to disk. Anyone know of such a thing?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Are you wanting to convert between disc images essentially?

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you want to create a disc image from files you will need a bit of software. This is a simple neat utility that doesn't require an install: https://www.videohelp.com/software/Folder2Iso

Then for other tasks right click an ISO in Windows 10 you get "Mount" and "Burn disc image".

I think that should cover you(?)

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Bit more clarification.
    The issue is I'm using a laptop with no optical drive. I am looking to create a virtual CDRW drive that 3rd party software can see and use. The software does not support creating disk image directly it has very limited features.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I don't know of any tools that will emulate a CDRW in that way - there used to be loads of ISO mount tools, but I can't ever recall anything that mimics an actual CDRW.

For the hassle involved, couldn't you just pick up a USB CD burner - they only cost about £20?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's been a while since I did any kind of CD-related stuff on a Windows box, but last I remember Virtual CD allowed you to create a virtual burner which would write to images. Instructions are here. It's payware, but there's a 30-day trial which should sort you out.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Same not done it for a long time but think Macrium reflect might do this also on the personal free tier.

I though Windows did this natively, or is that only when you have a CDRW you can build a disc before burn?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think, but don't take it as gospel 'cos I'm not a Windows user these days, that you can build an ISO image for saving or burning from a directory of files, but you can't fool a piece of software that's looking for a physical burner into creating an ISO image without Virtual CD or similar.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding the requirement, but would Imgburn or DaemonTools help? Both are free when I last checked some time ago. The versions I have can create iso images from folders/files without the need for a physical drive to be present..

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Virtual CD would be a good shout as last I checked it could create a virtual disc drive as Mr Gareth said.

11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Virtual CD looks promising. Thank you

DaemonTools! how could I have forgotten about DemonTools? Oh right, while free they started packing it with spamware so I stop using and and forgot about it. Not sure if that is still the case. Looks like it might also be a option but not the free version.

Thank you to everyone for there replies. I have some testing to do.

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Do let us know how you get on, bud - the interweb is full of unfinished threads without solutions...!