1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Please help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by IamJudd, 12 Feb 2022.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

At a friends flat-share house and trying to help with his network.

There’s an issue with wired connection. It’s ok as wireless using TpLink extender but they want a fixed connection for the smart tv.

Virgin hub into net gear router works properly. Laptop plugged into each port of the router works. The router usually has 7 cables connected to each rooms fixed port but NONE of the fixed ports are showing a connection.

Can I assume that the terminating points of the CAT5 cabling need to be powered (POE) and that is the issue or could it be that these end points just aren’t wired properly?

I’m getting no signal from all 6 rooms!

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Last edited: 12 Feb 2022
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Why would the rooms need POE is there an wireless AP in each rooms faceplate?

3. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I just can’t understand why each connection is not producing an output by the time it gets from the router to the faceplate when the router is working fine… just guessing re POE! Assuming they are just standard face plates by the look of them.

4. creative

creative 500rwhp

Poe is just for powering things.

no connection on each room? I would be pulling the plates off then testing the cables... or even seeing if the are connected at each end

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

What's plugged into each of the 7 rooms ports?

6. giskard

giskard System builder

If there are cat5 or cat6 cables attached to the inside of the faceplate you'll need to test them. https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219

7. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

The guy that installed it seems to have sorted it out - there's, apparently, a switch inside the face plate that the installer has always set to A but on the installation date, the apprentice had set all but two of the connections to B. A quick check and change switches and all good - thanks for the help!