1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Feb 2022.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They didn't join NATO and got rid of their nukes for that promise last time. I can't see them going for it again. The Russian demands came out earlier and they were
    – recognition of Russian sovereignty over Crimea
    – demilitarization and denazification of the Ukrainian state
    – ensuring its neutral status
    I can't see it happening

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Esp when is this is what Russian TV is saying -

...and everyone suspected Putin's ultimate goal was them getting the USSR band back together [or 'correcting the humilation' as iirc he sees it]

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

5. walle

walle Minimodder

Wow.
    Switzerland remained neutral even through WWII.

6. Vault-Tec

Yeah that took me by surprise. I'm quite proud tbh. It's literally Russia VS the whole world apart from BellendRussia (Belarus).

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

And Bolsonaro who says Brazil is neutral and that 90% of Ukrainians want to be closer to Russia.

He also had a go at them as they “entrusted the fate of the nation to a comedian.”.

He's an ass.

Oh Syria are big fans of the invasion too. No surprise there.

I do worry about Moldova next. There is a pro russian autonomous territory of Moldova, Transinistra, that has Russian 'peace keepers'. Similar to Ukraine Moldova is looking West and it's just along the south coast of Ukraine from Crimea.

8. walle

walle Minimodder

I'm don't know if that's a good or a bad thing at this point, I just hope Ukraine doesn't become a pretext for a world war like Poland did. I don't believe we would survive it.

Either way.
    This has now escalated to a point where Russia no longer have an option to withdraw anymore, it's either total victory and then attempt to survive the economic breakdown, or societal collapse and partition.

I don't believe Putin see those as options.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2022
  9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

It has been reported that members of the EU will provide MiG-29 to the Ukrainians. I hope this will concretize rather rapidly.

11. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Moments ago, I've involuntarily clicked on an NSFW video and... I hope that someday there is a war tribunal and that Russian soldiers who committed war crimes will be hanged.

MLyons likes this.
  12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I read that the ICC has/will open an investigation into it, so perhaps that bears fruit.

But I expect getting to the bottom of who did what and who needs to be punished is going to be a herculean task for the investigators - I can't imagine Russia cooperating with the investigation in any way shape or form.

13. Risky

Risky Modder

The ICC can do it's thing but it won't affect what is happening.

The whole international law thing is pretty pointless here. Russia can veto anything in the UNSC so it's down to what countries and alliances that can do something, decide to do.

14. liratheal

I didn't mean to imply it would change the course of events - I'm of the opinion that nothing short of Putin's regime changing their mind is going to alter what is going to happen. Ukraine and its people are standing strong, but without intervention I don't see how the Russian army won't overwhelm them eventually - Even if they then can't hold the country (Analysis by better minds than mine suggest the numbers don't add up for occupation and control, given the Ukrainian people's will for it not to happen).

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You know you ****ed up when even Switzerland picks a side against you.

TheBlackSwordsMan and adidan like this.
  16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Unfortunately it seems this conflict is turning into another Syria - indiscriminate shelling of residential areas of Kharkiv, numerous videos surfacing of civilians being fired on, reports of similar from Kyiv, absolutely shameful.

It does make me wonder at what point Ukraine should consider surrendering to avoid further civilian losses... Turn it into a guerilla war rather than a stand-up fight.

Edit: I see also that the thermobaric ordnance has been used at least a couple of times too, that's a big step.

17. adidan

Those thermobarics, they are truly awful things. If I understand correctly they create a vacuum and then a subsequent pressure shockwave that kills even if your hiding underground

One step down from nukes I guess.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Exactly that, technically deploying them in inhabited areas could be construed as a war crime as they're so potent and kill indiscriminately. It looks like one was used to flatten an army base/depot at Okhtyrka, and unconfirmed reports there's two more been used, one at another fuel depot near Kyiv and another around Kharkiv. As usual reports and info is very scarce and unreliable.

19. liratheal

Considering Putin's regime used GPS coordinates of hospitals to target strikes in Syria, I think it's pretty much a guarantee that thermobaric weapons are going to find their way into Kyiv and civilian locations.

20. adidan

Puts pay to the "we're here to liberate our brothers and sisters" bowlocks.