1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

With a small enclosure + large driver, have you considered port chuffing and how to address? This has been a pitfall of many a DIY sub... and many a commercial sub as well.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup. That is why I chose a duct and not a port. I can't even begin to tell you how god awful the port noise is on that 8". It's absolutely terrible.

About the best I can really do is put sound deadening in to stop any vibration, and then wadding. Anything else? I am going to have to live with. The duct area is quite huge tbh, so hopefully it will behave itself. I guess the only way to reduce it further would be to go Tline, but for a 15" sub I would need a box about as big as a room. Folded horns are good also, but the driver gets very hot. They are also not optimal until you get quite a large distance away.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

FYI: You can buy a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil and a tube of urethane glue and make your own sound deadening for less.

4. Vault-Tec

Not sure. It's very cheap now. I paid £12 for 10 sheets. IIRC they are about A4 sized.

I just pulled off the carpet. It now looks like this lol

[​IMG]

Scraping seems to work, but I cant take it outside atm. Am going to get a sander though as I have needed one for ages.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You absolutely can hear a difference. I've listened to exactly the same albums on CD, FLAC, self-ripped/encoded MP3, and streaming services, and in many cases there is an objective difference with MP3 and streaming services. It's not in every song, and it's not even in every part of every affected song, but in the right circumstances you can hear MP3 compression artefacts. Most of the time the difference in quality is so small as to be unnoticeable, but when it is there it's damn well noticeable.

6. Vault-Tec

Yup. My speakers are incredibly unforgiving of compressed recordings.

I did a thing. 8.2mm acrylic with 3mm to stiffen it. The depression it sits in is 9.4. This means I can skim over the outside with some bondo, hurrah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That can go in later with some epoxy. Nice wad of sound deadening on the inside, job done.

Vibe got in touch. Realised their mistake. This is cool, said they were more than welcome to send a courier for it.

IanW likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That's good. Leaving a customer out of pocket and/or vertebrae for returning something that heavy via the post office isn't good for business!

8. Vault-Tec

You never have to lift a finger in these circumstances. It's unsolicited goods. Basically you don't even have to say anything, but obviously you should. Usually I let the company know right away, but yeah I just don't feel obliged right now. Just know though that you never have to send anything back. Or pay, or even leave the house. It's their duty to send someone to collect it from you.

I don't want it. I mean, it's heavy and its bulky and I have no need for it. Due to those reasons I wouldn't bother selling it either, so it's just another large box I would have to try and store. Hopefully they collect it before mum starts complaining. Because I really have nowhere to store it right now.

9. Vault-Tec

Put that in last night with epoxy. It's not going anywhere :)

[​IMG]

Like I said though.

[​IMG]

Thankfully because it was carpet the contact adhesive is rock hard. Meaning it's sand able. Sadly right now the weather is crap.

Things are slowly arriving though. The contact adhesive arrived earlier and the power tools are coming today.

10. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I'm making myself a new amplifier at the moment. Currently, all the amplifiers are built into the speakers but I would like to have the flexibility to move to floorstanders and god knows what in the future as and when I move house. All the electronics I design is designed to be as simply and robust as possible, I don't want to have to design many amplifiers in my lifetime. This would should last 20 years no problem.

The specs are pretty good. It's 8 channels of class D delivered from the TPA3255. This means you get around 135 / 270W per channel for 8 / 4R before clipping. I have a 1.5kW telecoms 48V PSU in there which is designed to run at 100% 24/7 for many years, it's got a much easier life now! I should clear about 1kW of audio output across all channels with this PSU. It's simple because it has 8 analogue inputs and 8 analogue outputs with one power input. There's a power switch on the front and that's it, what more do you need? Well a DSP with good volume control but I already have that.

Everything is designed by myself from scratch apart from the PSU. The amplifier PCBs I designed are currently being fabricated in China and will be in the amp within a couple of weeks I hope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Brought my Mission 702e floorstanders up earlier today - holy crap these are much beefier than those little Cambridge Audio speakers...

12. Vault-Tec

Just destroyed the cabinet :(

The sander took all of the crap straight off. Which tempted me to use the router. Which wasn't strong enough for the job in hand. Not only did the bit come loose but the bearing came off and I didn't realise, so I have just totally trashed the cabinet.

I think it's beyond saving tbh.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

If the bearing came off I'm assuming you've just gouged the edge?
    If so just take it back a bit and level it out.

14. Vault-Tec

lol. I think it's beyond that mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Vault-Tec

Actually I may be able to rescue it.

Just had an idea. I remember BITD a mate of mine used to carve MDF cabinets with a belt file. Like, round off every edge then body filler (car) and paint. If I map out a top template where the veneer goes and draw that onto the cabinet I can bevel the entire top into that line.

16. Vault-Tec

Nope, it's deffo screwed. Put the ducts in and there is a 1" gap already. So taking off more material is not an option.

bugger

17. Vault-Tec

Yeah game over. The port duct is now missing 1" at least of the material. Which is probably why it had that lip in the first place.

I wish life had a rewind button :D

18. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Could you not get a bit of MDF of similar thickness to joint on and replace some material. Couple of dowels in for strength, looks to be thick enough to take it. Then shape it out to where it needs to be.

19. Vault-Tec

The problem is that it has all been routed to fit. Meaning there are not any thick/flat parts you could join to. If it were a straightforward square? then yeah. But this is what I am talking about. I have now opened a large void, so it's beyond even using filler.

[​IMG]

And that's just one area. There's really no point in chasing my tail now. It would prove to be more work that it is worth tbh. It would take me days upon days to fix it now.

20. Vault-Tec

Phoned around. B&Q still offer a cutting service. It will cost me about £45.

Plus I can have a much better design.

[​IMG]

And it laid out on a sheet of MDF.

[​IMG]

The box I had broke the cardinal rule of subwoofers any way. That the depth should always been the biggest dimension. I guess they were trying to make it as small as possible. Hence why this cabinet tunes down to 28hz.