1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Feb 2022.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup we do have to sort the oil and gas situation out. We've let ourselves become too dependent on Russian fuel and Russian money to corrupt our political system.

It's a big argument for speeding up the 'Green Revolution' (which seems more of a green whisper at the moment, they've not even made placards let alone kick off a revolution).

Easier said than done though, I mean even now the EU alone pays Russia over €1billion for fuel. A day. That's not to mention what the UK, US and others buy off them.

That keeps Putin in civilian bombing equipment.

MLyons likes this.
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Instead the usual suspects are insisting we scrap it and start fracking instead.

EDIT:

3. adidan

I mean all the dregs are going to use this as an excuse to push their shite ideas.

4. RedFlames

It was a particular dreg i was thinking of. He wasted no time in pivoting to the new grift.

5. adidan

The one who likes a referendum he can spout lies in for his own ends by any chance.

6. RedFlames

I do reckon it might be.

7. RedFlames

Last edited: 8 Mar 2022
  8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

In defence of Shell, they claimed it was about security of supply and have subsequently taken the decision to withdraw from the Russian market and stop buying Russian oil and gas. Obviously the proof is in the pudding on those promises.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/europe/393485/shell-russia-oil-gas/

Ps. Full disclaimer - I work in the oil and gas industry (safety side) but am very much pro moving to green energy and rapidly. I don't think Shell deserves a lot of credit for this move but they could also just earn millions of dollars by buying cheap russian oil so what they've promised is "bad" business.

9. RedFlames

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

11. RedFlames

But this is Priti 'sacked for going behind HMG's back to a foreign govt' 'did the same **** Bercow has just got a lifetam ban from parly for' Patel, there's no way Boris 'sacked twice for lying to his bosses' 'ditched security detail to go to a party whilst foreign sec' 'spooks withheld intelligence bc they didn't trust him' Johnson will do much about it.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I don't like her. How can a woman whose parents emigrated to the UK be against immigration?

Jokes man.

13. RedFlames

Going out a limb here but if you've just walked most of the way across continental europe to flee a warzone, or if you've spend most of your day wondering if you house is going to get shelled to oblivion, 'is this food vegan?' is probably way down on the list of things you're giving a **** about.

...and also - vegetables are weapons.

14. RedFlames

Last edited: 8 Mar 2022
  15. adidan

I think I remember something similar in Canada a good while back? IIRC the Minister in charge brought in rules that would have meant their own parents/grandparents (?) wouldn't have been allowed in. (This is no more than a vague memory, I take no responsibility for the validity of my words :lol: )

Quite often a case of "I'm alright Jack, sod you"

16. Vault-Tec

Exactly. Of all of the philosophies I hate that has to be the worst. Toffee nosed tart.

I wouldn't even mind, but we are desperate for people to do our crap jobs since Brexit. So not only could we offer them a safe haven but also work, and lots of it.

17. RedFlames

Well her dad was a card carrying ukipper [stood to be an mp or mep, irforget which] iirc

EDIT

Also probably a variant on the 'I'm an ex-pat, they are immigrants' mentality.

18. Vault-Tec

All jokes. Like the guy on Goggle Box from Greece or somewhere, voting Brexit and wanting immigrants out. It's bloody amazing how quickly people forget their own ****.

BTW let me clarify what I meant by allowing Ukrainians in to do our "crap jobs".

It's pretty clear since Brexit we have lost a work force. A hard working work force. One that our own teenagers would turn their noses up at, because they are so entitled.

19. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You'll have to narrow that down

20. RedFlames

The bollock-faced foghorn of ignorance.

...or is that still too vague?

Vault-Tec and MLyons like this.