1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 11 - should I take the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Software' started by IamJudd, 9 Mar 2022.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

As post headline, I'm happy with 10 - I don't really do anything that warrants keeping it over 11 but also... stability?

It's literally turned on to play Steam/ Epic/ GoG etc. That's pretty much it... maybe Paint to edit the BT Guess the film pics and maybe calc/ wordpad but really... that's all I use!

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Personally I'm waiting as long as possible, hopefully until a time when you can easily create a local account and the early days have been ironed out.

Plus my B450/3600 apparently isn't modern enough for it, which is fine by me.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have it on my laptop I still don't like it after a few months, none of the changes are an improvement for me but I have a specific way I use the machine with taskbar not on the bottom, this is a no no in 11.

It doesn't run that smooth either on my i7 never mind AMD issues.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Should be supported in 11, you probably have to flip a switch in the BIOS,

adidan likes this.
  6. adidan

Aye I reckoned as much but I'm not touching it just so I don't inadvertantly upgrade without asking too :)

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I use it in work on a supported machine and.... it's fine. I can do everything I did before. There's a few more clicks for some things, some settings have moved or changed, and things have rounded corners now.

But for a personal machine... no. As far as I can tell, it introduces new hardware/firmware requirements (TPM), changes a bunch of visual stuff, f's with the taskbar, moves settings, and gives me no additional benefit. It's not even like it's faster or more lightweight than W10. If I had an Alder Lake CPU (or planned to upgrade to an upcoming AMD CPU) which has both "performance" and "efficiency" cores then it'd be a no-brainer because of the support for that architecture in the W11 scheduler. But I don't, and I don't plan to upgrade my 5900X any time soon.

When Windows 11 becomes necessary for games - e.g. new DirectX features that are supported in W11 only - I will switch to Linux as my primary OS and W11 will be relegated to gaming only.

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You're all such luddites :lol:
    I've got 11 on my home and work machines and I love it. I haven't had any stability issues or anything and I think there are a number of things that 11 does that 10 won't. Like Auto HDR and DirectStorage though I may be wrong on that.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2022
    NickCPC and slimithy like this.
  9. creative

creative 500rwhp

Im on the fence. I have w11 on my laptop at home and for general web browsing etc its no different....

In a work environment... no way. Moving things like cut and past to small icons that are not very clear is a huge pain. right click and then have to select more options to get the basic commands back... nope.
    They have moved most things to right click the windows icon... I still find myself right clicking the task bar to get task manager... Moving things for the sake of moving them is like having to learn how to use it again... I may as well learn linux!

ok, maybe not that bad... but you know! :D

10. noizdaemon666

Burn the heathen! What is this mouse usage of which you spaek!? Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Shift+Esc :p

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You are indeed wrong on at least one point, I'm afraid :thumb:. Direct Storage is coming to Windows 10.

Although I don't much care for HDR on my PC's monitor, because most monitors are terrible at HDR. The only time I care about HDR is on the odd occasion that I hook it up to the TV.

12. creative

creative 500rwhp

haha.. I agree...but trying to educate users on how to use it is going to be a nightmare that I am not looking forward to. At least windows upto now has been fairly consistent.

13. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

All very good points - my daughter has 11 on her recently received machine and it kinda messes with my muscle memory as to where things are but not a deal breaker! I think I'll hang fire for the time being!

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Running it on my workstation and it is a good bit faster than Win10 on my last machine. What's more, my hardware is seriously unoptimized and it can only gain in speed from here.

Specs:
    HP Z820 Rev. 3
    2x E5-2647 Xeon (4c/8t for 8c/16t)
    16GB DDR3 ECC (1×8 per CPU)
    Hitachi 2TB spinning rust
    Quadro 600 (yes, it's that old.)

15. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

I've ended up running 11 by default, thanks to an issue with it not updating. Fixing it with boot media worked, but it destroyed my 10 install... so I've stuck with 11 and been happy enough with it to not switch back.

It's OK. Since fixing it Win 11 has been extremely stable, does what I need it to and doesn't frustrate me too much.

The start menu is the big problem for me. It's terrible. I definitely prefer the 10 start menu, and even the OG Win 8 menu to 11. Being able to pin basically everything on the start menu without a performance hit was great, as is running the start menu full screen and using it as an app launcher. With game launchers (and I include Steam here) being a pain, being able to pin games from Steam/GOG/EA/Ubisoft/Microsoft next to each other and launch them from the same place without having to remember which one I installed the game with - that's one major benefit of 10, and something I miss. 11 isn't as good on that front.

When Microsoft let you remove the "recommended" section completely (not sure if that's planned yet) and allow folders to the pinned section (that appears to be coming, maybe as part of 22H2) - then I'd suggest upgrading. Tabs in explorer also look likely, they're certainly A/B testing that on insider builds. That alone might be worth it.

I do think it's far better for anyone not used to computers or people who only run a handful of apps. If you only need to pin <15 apps it's fine and more user friendly to your average user.

3 things:
    1. If you're on the fence, I would wait until 22H2 - so October
    2. You're CPU/mobo are fine - as said above, enable ftpm in the Bios and you should be good to go
    3. Local accounts - you can still create one but at least 1x MS account is mandatory for 11 Home - and will become mandatory for 11 Pro soon as well. I think that's security related - making TPM mandatory allows 11 to encrypt a boot drive, which needs a bitlocker key. Bitlocker keys are saved to your MS account. I get the logic as it makes key recovery easy while making your data more secure. But it certainly looks like at least 1x MS account will be mandatory on every 11 install soon - though there's nothing stopping you having a disposable MS account to setup Windows, then create a local account and use that.

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

1. Aye, waiting as long as possible (as with 10 actually). I like everyone else to beta test my OS first :happy:
    2. Yup, you're right there - had a scoot about and it's currently disabled.
    3. I'll probably go the new account if I have to but, in reality, when Samsung, Nvidia and allegedly Microsoft getting hacked recently I think the main security issue I should ever be worried about is having backups of backups and the phone numbers of any companies to call if/when I'm compromised :lol:

I seem to recall the Pro version is also going like you say, I'm not sure if it's been confirmed yet though (?)

17. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Well, I've been messing with daughters PC and I'm not sure I like the UI of 11. I'll stick with 10 until it's worth the effort to upgrade.

18. noizdaemon666

I'd recommend Playnite. It combines all (or most) of your different libraries in one place. I've used it for a few years and love it!

19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hey noiz - no security concerns or anything with this? I assume not as you're usually quite diligent with things but thought I'd see if there's anything to bear in mind...

20. noizdaemon666

I've never had an issue, no attempts to sign into any of my accounts, though they all have 2FA set up anyway. It is just a link between the software and the relevant libraries, without a third party server being involved as far as I know so you should be fine.