1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Does overclocking a Ryzen 5900X disable turbo boost?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 16 Mar 2022.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

I've used the Auto Tuning function of the AI Suite 3 software provided with my Asus TUF Pro X570 mobo to increase the CPU clock to 4200GHz on all cores. Does this mean that turbo boost (which I understand can hit 5GHz or thereabouts) is disabled?

Given the PC is mostly used for content creation and software development, I'm wondering if I'd get more out of the 5900X without the overclock?

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As I see it with Ryzen, just make sure it is well cooled and it’ll do well without OCing.

giskard likes this.
  3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I came to this conclusion with my R5-3600. Yes you can try to all core overclock it but you loose out on the boosting behavior for lightly threaded applications (which is still most of them). If you were trying to do hours worth of rendering it may be worth the all core OC but for 'general' use I would just leave the in-built boost to do its thing.

giskard likes this.
  4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The simplest way to overclock it is to reset everything back to defaults, enable PBO, add 100Mhz to max overboost and find a level with the Curve optimiser like -10 to -20 ( 20 is a big number and may lead to instability at idle.) that will reduce the core voltage maintaining stability, this will give you decent all core probably by an extra 200Mhz and good single core.

giskard likes this.
  5. giskard

giskard System builder

I'd prefer to disable the overclock that's been applied by the Auto Tuning of Asus AI Suite 3 but can't find where to disable it or switch it off/to default. The user guides on the Asus website refer to different versions of Turbo V (the auto-tuning function) which bear little resemblance to the one that came with my mobo.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just uninstall it and use Ryzen master It should set it to defaults if you don't want to go in the BIOS.

giskard likes this.
  7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I personally would reset bios to default but if you're not comfortable in bios then sandys suggestion is a good way to go.

giskard likes this.
  8. giskard

giskard System builder

Yeah I guess
    Yeah, I guess that would do it, but then I'd need to reset all my fan profiles and other non-CPU-related settings.

9. giskard

giskard System builder

Thanks, I've done that and installed Ryzen Master. Interestingly, if I press the Reset button in RM's Basic View mode, nothing seems to happen but in Advanced View mode, pressing that button shows a message saying that the CPU has been reset to stock mode.

Now it's showing a maximum CPU clock speed of 4900 Mhz rathen than the 4200 Mhz that was previously set by the AI Suite Auto Tuning.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I don't use it so can't remember how it functions as there are features in the BIOS that'll get you more out of your OC but for a simple OC tool it does the job for many who don't want to go in the BIOS.

When you fire it up it is using the defaults you have set the machine to in the BIOS so there is nothing to reset to, when you then change a setting say to enable PBO or up boost override it will then ask for a reboot as it will alter the BIOS settings for you.

The 4.9 will now be allowing the boost upto that figure with its autoOC, Ryzen boost is pretty good but temperature dependant, so it will depend on cooling, it will also depend on the settings for motherboard power limits by default you hit those quite easy and it starts pulling clocks, this is where PBO and curve optimiser can help, Curve optimiser can be used to drop the voltage curve for each clockspeed, lowering temps and giving you higher clocks all core clocks but still mainstaining a good single core.

Of course in reality the CPUs are fast enough and a couple of hundred mhz is niether here nor there, so just leaving the CPU to it is plenty good enough unless you have a specific interest in dicking about as I do.

Some links for understanding

Maximizing Ryzen 5000 Performance With AMD Curve Optimizer | HotHardware

Ryzen 9 5950X Curve Optimizer to 5.1 GHz, PBO and overclocking | Overclock.net

Last edited: 16 Mar 2022
    giskard likes this.
  11. giskard

giskard System builder

After rebooting and running Cinebench, I still found that the maximum clock speed was limited to 4200 Mhz, despite resetting the CPU to stock mode via Ryzen Master, so I guess RM wasn't saving anything to the BIOS - it certainly didn't prompt to reboot or confirm that it had updated the BIOS settings for the CPU.

In the end I did as @Spraduke suggested earlier as reset the BIOS to default settings by pressing F5 in the BIOS screen (thankfully it didn't reset the boot setup and devices!) and now running Cinebench shows cores boosting to 4900 MHz.

Thanks all for your advice and feedback.

Spraduke likes this.
  12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Glad it's all worked out now