1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Electric motor experts

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 28 Mar 2022.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My son accidentally killed my dads pressure washer while clean his drive for him.

I just took it apart to see if its fixable but I'm pretty sure its burnt out as i think the contacts are supposed to go all the way round but I'd like an expert opinion b4 I tip it.

Thanks

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I think you've reached this part of the pressure washer lifecycle

trigger likes this.
  3. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Yes, you are correct the contacts should go all the way round. Did the same thing with my pressure washer last week. Apparently quite a common issue if they haven't been used for some time, like over the winter.

4. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

You need a new armature. Perhaps will cost as much as the pressure washer though, not sure...

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Le commutator, she is broken. You'll need a new motor.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

A new one was purchased before I took it apart, 2nd hand motor is about £45 so no point in fixing it.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Another part of the story is that my lad also killed my pressure washer doing my dads drive but it was a lot older.

I decided to dismantle it today and found that the pump/gear box had utterly smashed its plastic cogs (why do they use plastic cogs on a metal drive), cut a long story short I put my pressure motor with my dads pressure washer pump and its all working just needs some oil added as I think that's what killed mine as there was no oil in at all.

It might only last for an hour or it might last for a year but I do like saving things.

8. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I think the moral of this story is, don't let your lad near a pressure washer. 2 on one drive?!

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

So from some quick research it seems the oil is just 15w30 which I'm pretty sure is what i put in my car, does that seem right, seems odd to be putting engine oil in what essentially is a gear box, I thought it would be some sort of special oil.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

15w30 is a tad thick for a modern engine, of the four cars here there're all 0w or 5w max.
    15w does seem thin for a gearbox, but if its got plastic gears maybe not, or even with metal gearing they're not going to be under a massive load

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Beg your pardon its 5w30 I use, thought it didn't sound right when I typed it.

Think I have some 15w30 in the shed though from an older car.

Starting to think the 15w30 being mentioned is for petrol powered washers, the oil that came seemed more mineral like so I'm conflicted now.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2022