1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

2. Vault-Tec

I won't lie the front was the hardest thing I have had to do yet.

[​IMG]

That said sanding the veneer edges to perfection is probably the easiest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deffo chose the right finish. It looks really sinister.

trigger likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

OK. So I came home for a rest. Yeah, right. How's about some crawling through filthy crawl spaces?

[​IMG]

And at the other end.

[​IMG]

Just getting ready to put the liquid electrical tape all over that connector. Then once it sets I can fit the face plate and job done.

Mess is a pain.

[​IMG]

Made up the connecting cable from the wall to the sub itself.

[​IMG]

And then sat and stared at the pics of my legs being machined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My two concerns on that are, one the sub needs a fair bit of juice to get that voice coil moving and a 200W amp may struggle, also if you do get it thumping will the amp enjoy the experience? AKA vibrations, I did competition car audio for a number of years an vibration was one of the big amp killers.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

3rd concern, your neighbours are going to be a might peeved.
    I've had Vibe gear in a car and it's pretty good stuff, not as good as the 2 x 15" eminence subs I used to run but prams take up too much space

Weekly_Estimate, legoman, Hex and 3 others like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

The amp is the 300, not the 200. I initially ordered the wrong one bit changed it. It does 420w peak and is 300w RMS.

I had the same concern as you tbh. The sub is like a tank and stiff AF but it also has a very high sensitivity (larger drivers usually always do) and yeah the amp has no problems shifting it. And I mean like, really shifting it.

I want a forever sub. One that has the guts to be enough for anything. TBH I only really want it for movies. The change in the sound modes the new TV has are epic but the sub gets totally drowned out.

As for vibration? My whole flat is sound proofed. They all are it's a building for autistic people and some can be very noisy, especially during meltdown. I've never heard so much as a fart in here. Go out the door? Yeah noise.

The only part not sound proofed is the interior crawl space wall. I've already deadened the door on that today. As for cabinet vibration? There won't be any. That's what the 8 kilos of mute mat are for.

As I said it's not for music. It's also going to be right next to where I sit aiming into the sofa. So it won't need to be thrashing to get the job done.

boiled_elephant and IanW like this.
  7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Well recovered.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

That was scary. I guess in the 20 years I have had off of making cabinets I wasn't prepared for that. I screwed in a baton whilst fixing it (hence the two holes) and to make sure the patch would sit as level as possible. Then pre drilled three holes sunk about half way, then glued and filled to buggery.

I would be a lot more concerned about it if it wasn't a ported enclosure. If it were sealed? I would have doubled it up on the inside but I couldn't do that... The amp will also give it strength as well, given it bolts above and all the way down onto the rest of the back.

But yeah, scary. Deffo head in hands moment like "Oh F I did it again !!".

Also, I failed to mention the reasoning behind going to so much crap over a sub. Obviously there is the "forever sub" part of it, but the main deal is that a half decent entry level 15" cinema sub starts at £1500.

https://americanaudioco.uk/products/monolith-15-thx-subwoofer

Now obviously that will have a much more powerful amp. Thing is it just doesn't need it. The rest? well, it's black ash (cheapest finish usually) and whilst I am sure the woofer is nice it is not very high excursion. I won't get into arguments over subwoofers. There is nothing nice about them, and nothing worth spending thousands on unless you are into SPL. There are more "SQL" type subs but at the end of the day they are all just brutal air pistons. Nearly all of the R&D over the past 25 years or so has gone into car subs. From the inception of the "Inner Tube" speaker that my mate at Cerwin Vega used to call them, along with ridiculous magnets, massive coils, stitched cones and ETC. This thing was £220 RRP on the woofer and it has all of that except the ridiculous magnet and the alu basket that will help with heat at ridiculous power levels but not needed here.

However, it is also going to be a piece of furniture. That cheap "stop gap" coffee table you see in the mess pic is to the side of the sofa right now. It's cheap, horrid (not even real veneer) and was only supposed to be a stand in until I got something much nicer. Hence why all the sound deadening lol. I don't want my crap all flying off.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Life is so much easier with headphones...

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So, a nice piece of cut-to-size glass to go on top?

11. Vault-Tec

Possibly. Would be nice to get some bevelled. That said 5mm acrylic would do the job too.

Will need to look into local places for the glass.

IanW likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

It is!

Deffo been bitten by the cinema bug though.

I wouldn't even mind but for the most part I want more bass so I **** myself even harder when someone gets shot unexpectedly lmao.

Just done the Netflix seasons of Top Boy so there was bloody plenty of that :D

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You know you've fallen down the rabbit hole when you buy tweeters that cost more than you paid for the speakers.

[​IMG]

I feel confident in saying that "yes, they are better than the standard keilidh tweeters. I now have to avoid looking at Linn Aktiv stuff on ebay.

Vault-Tec, Byron C and Arboreal like this.
  15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Ahhh the nostalgia... I loved my Keilidhs but never had the money to add a 3rd amp* or the Aktiv cards. Glad to see another Linn fan out there!
    * I had a a Majik-I and LK100 biwired.

spolsh likes this.
  16. Mr_Mistoffelees

If I had a little over £8000 to spare I could so easily fall much further down that rabbit hole.

Nothing wrong with my Pathos Converto Mk2 amd Focal Elegias but, there is a Pathos InPol Ear and a pair of Focal Stellias out there with my name on them...

17. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

This would honestly be such a waste of money on so many levels.

18. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That Pathos is a bit flash ! Think I'll stick with the floorstanding headphones for now though.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Says who?

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

I have to say the Converto Mk2 is a brilliant headphone amp, I don't really "need" anything better...