1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC VR recomendations

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by stephen0205, 29 Mar 2022.

1. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Hi fellas,

Been on YouTube looking for some and purchased a few, fairly dear these VR games, i have the oculus rift s.

Picked up a few games so far
    -Superhot
    -Beat sabre
    -Demeo
    -Dance central

There seems to be sooooooo many games, and some are really dear, whilst i know a few of the youtubers not enough to take there recommendations, i know a few of you fellas have these headsets.

Can you recommend any hidden gems, or just generally good little games for it.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tbh as someone who doesn't get/can't do VR...

'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes' is the only VR game that looked somewhat interesting.

Half Life: Alyx is probably the other VR game of note that comes to mind, not sure if that works with the facebook facehugger.

stephen0205 and Hex like this.
  3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

project wingman is a solid bity of fun

stephen0205 likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've only played Elite Dangerous on VR so I can't suggest anything else yet.

stephen0205 likes this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Oh boy, here comes a long list. I've played so many VR games, these are the ones that I really liked:

- HL Alyx, of course
    - Lone Echo 1 and 2, absolutely most immersive VR experience ever, better than HLAlyx due to being in zero-G. You can try it out for free with Echo VR multiplayer
    - Stormland, similar well-designed and polished to HL Alyx, but so much more dynamic and fun. Best transversal system in any land-based VR game
    - Asgards Wrath, a great wRPG-style VR game
    - Virtual Virtual Reality, dark humour, very special game
    - Boneworks, it's not as polished as HL Alyx, but EVERYTHING is physics based makes it fun to mess about with
    - GORN, appeals to my primal instincts
    - A Fisherman's Tale, innovative first AND third person puzzle game
    - Moss / Down the rabbit hole, both great third person platformer games
    - Vader immortal, it's a must-play for any star wars fans, okay otherwise
    - Vertigo Remastered, despite originals age, the VR mechanics are still very innovative
    - Until You Fall, a good hack/slash game, puts your arm and legs to work
    - Pistol Whip, nice on-rail arcade style shooter / bullet dodging
    - Star Wars Squadrons is great in VR if you are into star fighter pew pew games
    - MSFS is also very good in VR, if you are into sims.

Do not recommend:
    - MoH Above and Beyond: it's a AAA studio committee style attempt at a VR adoption of a game
    - Hitman 3 VR is a poor port, very few VR motion controller actions

These days, after experiencing the main contents, I mainly play HL Alyx mods and Beat Saber + Pistol Whip + Until you fall as workout.

d_stilgar and stephen0205 like this.
  6. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

thanking you all for the recommendations, uni finals are on the go, but im 100 percent buying a few of these for the aftermath and a few ciders :)

Thanks for that long list, away to watch youtube videos on them all, dont wanna break the bank but think 100 quid should get me a nice handful

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Can i give you some advice in regards to HL:Alyx?

I had a HP reverb G2, and first thing i did was play through HLA and it ruined VR for me.
    Everything else after that seemed very jank and under baked.
    That's not to say there is other good experiences other than HLA but do yourself a favour and don't play it for a while after other games and expernaces.

I ended up selling my headset despite having a good sized library of games that i hardly played. HLA is in its own league and nothing else in VR will ever touch it.

d_stilgar likes this.
  8. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Thanks man, im new ish to it all, used them before but never owned, got the rift s on ebay cheap, cable broke, oculus replaced the headset and cable and sent me a spare, even if i damage 1 cable im goof for a bit longer. So far i have been really enjoying it, but as of yet have not had something that just blows me away. Maybe HLA will be that game, but can defo see me using this for some time to come :)

Thanks for the heads up tho

d_stilgar likes this.
  9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

The Climb/ Climb 2 - vertigo inducing.
    Blade and Sorcery is fun (although, don't play it stoned and certainly don't look at your avatar in the mirror whilst reasonably high as you end up posing for twenty minutes and giggling like a school girl)!

I should note that these are Oculus Quest games - I'm yet to buy the cable to play proper PC titles!

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

haha thanks man, i tried the blade and sorcery one and it gave me like a sickness feeling

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Have you played through The Lab? The core catapult is hilarious and the detail in the graphics is really quite something - just looking at the wiring on your hands is really detailed. The room where you attempt to fix something is quite detailed too. It doesn't last long but the whole experience is pretty polished and it's something you can keep going back to.
    I might go for the plank walk game, I can't remember what it's called but it looks great fun.
    The Tomb Raider VR game in.. is it Rise I think? ..it's not bad but I much preferred playing through on a flatscreen.
    Must admit, I've not tried MSFS or Elite Dangerous yet, both look really good.

d_stilgar, Byron C and stephen0205 like this.
  12. wyx087

I played HL Alyx as my very first VR game, as it was my main reason for purchasing VR headset (Quest 1) in the first place. There is definitely a step down in the polish after that. But I have to say, the Oculus Rift (PCVR) exclusives are just as well polished experience. Stormland, Lone Echo and Asgards Wrath.

If you feel VR sickness from Blade and Sorcery, probably due to smooth walking-like locomotion, then games like Boneworks won't work for you until you got your VR legs. Again, back to HL Alyx, it is built around getting people into VR. The levels are so well designed there is very little motion sickness inducing events. I earned my VR legs by re-playing HL Alyx with smooth locomotion.

+1 for The Lab, it's free, it's from Valve and it's great fun starter for VR.

Richie's plank experience

Oh, a fun roguelike shooter I'm currently playing is COMPOUND. It's like Until You Fall, but with satisfying guns and less physical strain :worried:

stephen0205 and kenco_uk like this.
  13. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

The lab, i think i have it but havent tried it yet, dunno if i fancy the plank walk myself personally, seen alot of the people jumping into tv vidoes with that one lol

Yeah i read about vr sickness, will just need to play more and get over it.

kenco_uk likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just be prepared for the fact that you might not get over it in some games. Don't try and force yourself to stick with it, if you feel queasy take a break for a bit and maybe don't come back to that game straight away. I bought Dirt Rally specifically to play in VR and honestly even the thought of going back to that game makes me want to hurl, never mind actually playing it...

Lots of games include options for "teleport"-style movement instead of "continuous walking" like a regular 2D game, and I found that really helps a lot.

stephen0205 likes this.
  15. wyx087

Oh yeah, driving games is a total no-go for me. I also got Dirt Rally 2 to play in VR and after first corner I had to lay down for 30min. That was after gaining solid VR-legs for FPS. It's the horizontal turn that is the most problematic for me. Flight games banked turn using elevator are totally okay for me.

YMMV though. I play wirelessly on my Quest, I never use joystick turns, always turn around physically. So any horizontal turns are completely new to me. MoH A&B have a sit-in-vehicle section and that was also headache inducing for me. If you can get used to joystick turns in FPS, may be racing games wouldn't be much of a problem.

stephen0205 likes this.
  16. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I have a ton of VR games. These are the ones I'd recommend, loosely ordered from best to worst. But again, I do recommend all of these. I won't say they're all great, but I do think they're all worth it for the price. Many of these are free, but unlike the mountain of free crap I've played, the free things here are worth your time.
    • Half-life Alyx - Easily the best game. As others have said, it will ruin a lot of other experiences, so I would save it until after you've played a ton of other stuff.
    • The Lab - These fun mini games are still among the most polished things you'll do in VR. It's also a good intro to VR for newcomers.
    • Beat Saber - An addictive rhythm game. I often come back to this over other games.
    • Pistol Whip - Another rhythm game, for when you want to work out your legs instead of your arms. It's another one I'll come back to over and over again.
    • Job Simulator & Vacation Simulator - these are both fun, especially when you're just getting into VR. I still use them for when VR newbie friends come over.
    • Google Earth VR - Weirdly emotional. It gives you this simultaneous sense of how big and small the world is at the same time. It can be very nostalgic to fly through the town you grew up in and go to the places where you had your first kiss, or where you high school football games were played. If you've moved around a lot, it's really nice to revisit all the places you lived. It brings back memories and some painful pangs of nostalgia. It's really special.
    • Rec Room - A free game with tons of different games within it. The people tend to be pretty fun as well.
    • Star Wars: Squadrons - Really fun if you have a controller and especially fun w/ HOTAS if you have it.
    • A Fisherman's Tale - A puzzler in the vein of classic LucasArts adventure games. It's really fun.
    • Virtual Virtual Reality - A comedy/thriller/puzzle game with decent writing and good puzzles.
    • Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games - A 3rd person platform game. It's a bit short, but it's fun and worth it if you can get the game on sale.
    • Moss - Similar to Adventure Time, but more serious and longer.
    • Budget Cuts - An FPS puzzler with some combat
    • Star Wars: Droid Repair Bay - It's about the same length as Star Tours at Disney World and like it, is little more than a vignette/ride, but the polish level is really high. Star Wars fans are likely to really enjoy it.
    • Superhot VR - It's pretty good.
    • Thumper VR - Rhythm hell game
    • Tetris Effect - It really adds something special to the Tetris experience.
    • The Gallery - A puzzler in the vein of MYST if it were a first person VR game.
    • Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin - A little overlooked in my opinion. It's a puzzler like an old LucasArts game, but it's also Psychonauts, the cult classic game, and it's more than just a tiny experience. It's pretty well fleshed out as an entire game.
    • Vanishing Realms - A really early VR game that gets overlooked now. It's simple with some simple combat, but it was made by an ex-Valve employee and the experience is short enough to not overstay its welcome.
    • Crazy Fishing - A wacky, casual fishing game. It can be pretty relaxing while still giving you some motivation to work to try and catch new fish.
    • Eagle Flight - Flawed, but still fun and worth playing, even if you don't beat it.
    • Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shootin' Gallery - Fun and gets the right amount of creepy as the experience goes off the rails and a story is introduced, but it's never super difficult. It's the right length for what it is (short).
    • Google Spotlight Stories: Pearl - A short story experience. It's nice.
    • Google Spotlight Stories: Special Delivery - A short story experience. This one isn't quite as good.
    • Aircar - It's free. Fly around and explore.

There are a bunch of rude comedy experiences I've liked:
    • Accounting - It's rude and funny. Not sure there's much game here, but the experience is fun.
    • Rick and Morty Virtual Rickality - Great puzzles and a really great way to deal with limited play spaces. If you like the show, you shouldn't miss this.
    • Trover Saves the Universe - The comedy is raunchy, but it doesn't use that as a crutch. The gameplay is also great.
    Here are some asymmetrical games where friends can play on their phones while one person is in VR. They're not super great, but they can be fun with the right group.
    • Acron: Attack of the Squirrels - Squirrels steal nuts. The tree (VR player) tries to stop them. It has balance issues, but the novelty is there.
    • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - This one is the most fun if you print out the bomb diffusing manuals.
    • Takelings House Party - Phone players try to stay alive while they're hunted by the VR player. It's silly and fun.
    Finally, I haven't played it yet, but Cosmonious High just came out. It's by the same team that did Job and Vacation Simulator, so my guess is that it's going to be good.

stephen0205 and wyx087 like this.
  17. d_stilgar

This looks awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

wyx087 likes this.
  18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

+1 for Aircar, it'll help you get your VR legs. The first time I tried it was at The National Computing Museum and the detail for starters is pretty good. The sense of motion is also good but if it's your first VR experience, you might need to close your eyes when you crash into a building, the sensation as you plummet down at an angle can be disorienting.
    Thank for the list @d_stilgar - some to check out for sure!
    I've heard Paper Beast is also pretty good in VR.
    Rez Infinite has had a remaster, should be good.

wyx087 likes this.
  19. d_stilgar

Rez Infinite has been on my wishlist for a while. I just haven't worked my way to it yet. I'm cursed by the Steam backlog like everyone else.

I looked at the Paper Beast trailer and it didn't really hook me until I saw that it's by the creator of Another World. I'll have to check that one out.

I enjoyed Aircar so much that I ended up installing an xbox controller emulator so I could map my HOTAS controls and play the game with them. It made me way more maneuverable. But I completely agree on needing to get some VR legs. You can play without any pitch or roll, but you're going to want to get good at using them for smooth flight. I eventually got really comfortable with weird maneuvers. And all that for a game with no real gameplay. It's just exploration in a rainy cyberpunk city and nothing more.

20. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

That is a heafty list my friend, and thanks for all the recommendation on those games, ive started a bunch of the free ones downloading and picked up the job simulator ones to give a whirl at the weekend. I grabbed superhot, what a class little game, you have really played a good selection of games there, i look forward to taking advantage of your knowledge to weed out the rubbish games. Thanks

d_stilgar likes this.