1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I also second the depth stops.I use them almost every time I do wood work!

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I just set the depth on the drill press an away we go :winking:

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I just use a bit of tape.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's soul destroying, the change in note and feeling of movement as it bites into the workpiece at 20,000 RPM.

That and picking up the offending bearing only to realise it's well over 100°C :eeek:

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Last drilling I had to do was the back of a speedo, drilling through thin plastic is a sod as it always grabs and pulls the bit in.
    Being a wuss and not wanting to spend 300 quid on a replacement I bought an 8 quid pin vice and did it by hand

ElThomsono likes this.
  6. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

With the amp in the setup...

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That really made me chuckle, what a brilliant sentence! :lol:

In my head the voice was Darth Vader / Terry Pratchett's Death in tone!

It's OK, you've mentioned it once and seem to have got away with it.

A happy, relaxed and productive Easter weekend to you all

mrlongbeard likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Realised the mill bit was going to be impossible to start without a 10mm hole. Bought a 10mm brad point with a 2mm tip, pre drilled that in 3mm (5mm with the tip) then used mill bit. Both were locked using the sleeve.

[​IMG]

Good thing I bought another 500ml of satin black two days back !

IanW likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Well I finally got a gramophone.

Been considering it for over a year. Problem has been there will be added cost, and to buy one at what I consider a price worth paying for something I won't use a whole bunch I could only end up with a more basic deck. What I mean is I will probably have to buy a phono to line converter, as I know my AV32 does not have a phono input. Add to that all of Radiohead's albums? yeah, it would spiral.

I hadn't looked in quite a while because I really wanted something completely different to what I used to have. Like, not just a square blob. I really liked the Project RPM line, but the one I wanted is no longer sold. That left only the RPM 3, which was sort of on budget at around £500 ish but by the time I add in the converter etc? yeah too much.

Then last night I was browsing Ebay and came across this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently the guy was the UK distro for Thorens. This one is BNIB, but has a chip on it from the factory.

[​IMG]

The price was good too, £300 delivered. I slept on it, then decided to look it up this morning.

[​IMG]

Yeah, ordered.

trigger likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You should do alright with a Thorens. https://theaudiophileman.com/td309/

I started out with vinyl but, never regretted going digital, with CDs in, I think, 1986.

11. Vault-Tec

Yeah me too. I did stick with tapes mainly as CDs never really took over in the genres I listened to.

My brother still has all of my dad's records in his loft, so I will get him to bring those down. It's mainly stuff like Radiohead that I never listened to on vinyl as I wasn't into it at the time. In those years for me it was all pirate radio and rave music, which I had loads of on 12", but gave it all away a few years ago (hate it now lol).

Think it will have to be the white Project MMC box. From what I read it uses a AT MMC, so that should be fine but I will wait until I have it to verify.

12. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

I got that one in the end. Saw a fantastic deal on a MF one but it was huge. I'm also glad I did a lot of studying, as that one supports MM and MC and also USB (the latter I will not use, fact). Grado do some affordable cartridges now, so that might be a nice treat in the future.

13. Vault-Tec

"Cheap Thorens turntable, some assembly required". Sake. So the guy originally wanted to meet due to the motor diaphragms being notoriously dodgy and fragile. Which wasn't an option so I asked him to send DPD. Which he completely ignored and sent it via PF. As such as I suspected it did indeed arrive broken.

[​IMG]

Took about two hours to repair. Used hot snot to tack it, then speaker glue (designed for diaphragm/spiders)

[​IMG]

Wasn't best pleased. Ended up working out a deal on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I am reasonably happy. It's doing what it should mechanically.

[​IMG]

And the Pro-ject box came so I am almost ready to put the needle back on and buy records.

Now to recase the audio PC (case literally just arrived).

14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

wow, dinky little phono stage !

15. Vault-Tec

Yeah that's a result. The musical fidelity one is enormous.

16. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Streaming PC switched into new case.

17. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Right, that's it set up. I can hear sound coming from the speakers if I gently touch the needle, so it should be ready for all of the balancing, tracking force and alignment. I hope the suede mat comes soon because that felt one is a crap magnet.

I shall be testing with this, as it was on sale for £17 odd. Double LP too, and I fookin love David Gray.

[​IMG]

18. Vault-Tec

OK. Album came and I set up the tracking force etc.

Had a few hiccups. The first one did not occur until I flipped the first record to side B. I noticed the arm swaying left to right a lot and the sound was kinda wonky. After a bit of investigation it seems that the centre spindle simply isn't long enough to entertain the slip mat and the acrylic disc they provide. So the record was not being held in the centre and was wobbling.

The second hiccup was almost solved by removing the acrylic platter section and just putting the mat down on the metal platter - static. After about 20 minutes of play it began to make popping sounds. But they were not the record. If I touched the arm it would pop and hum. Tightened up the connectors on the cartridge and it's now not doing that any more, until of course you remove the record and it sticks to the "felt" mat and charges the record so that everything and its dog sticks to it. I would imagine the leather/suede one will eradicate that.

So what do I think? best thing I have bought in years for a hifi. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good as a FLAC. Nowhere even close. It pops every now and then and the stereo separation and sound stage is tbh? quite pathetic in comparison. However, there is just no getting over the old school of it. Like, dropping the needle down and just sitting back and critical listening the crap out of it. It's the only form of music I have where I can turn off the TV because I don't need it as a visual front end. Which means I don't have the distraction of Youtube, Netflix and god knows what else is being waved at me. And so it's a far more intimate experience with just me and the music. It also has forced my lazy ass into listening to all of the side of the record without continually getting up. Which has been nice, as I have already discovered a few of David Gray's songs that I used to either skip by or not ever listen to because they weren't immediately sonically appealing.

I was also stoked to find that the version of Babylon that kicks off the first side of the first record is the much rawer far more passionate version where he really does empty his lungs rather than introducing all sorts of studio sounds etc. Marvellous.

I also love the physical experience. Having something to hold in your hands and paw over for ages when it arrives. Like I said, the sound is simply an enormous down grade but the fact that it's so far away from clinical makes it extremely enjoyable to listen to.

One thing that is certainly going is the cartridge. I had better sounding carts and stylus 30 years ago. Tossing up between the Goldring E3? and the Sumiko Pearl.

19. Vault-Tec

Back on the sub, last time hopefully !

Last night I pre drilled and test fitted the grille with the spacers. Plenty of room now and looks nice. The leather came....

[​IMG]

I ordered that remnant. Basically I am going to make a sash to sit across the sub so that the crap I put on it doesn't wreck the surface. The PU finish is quite tough, but it will need to take years of abuse and I don't think it is quite up to that. I ordered some pinking shears to cut it with a nice zigzag edge also.

[​IMG]

I also got this. I definitely wanted it known that it was built here.

[​IMG]

Will fit well with the rustic look.

Last night I fully wet sanded out the entire cabinet. Was a ton of work and I slept very well after that but I can now clean it (round two of that) and put down the next coat of PU tonight. I've also blended in lots of the black veneer using satin black paint, which I will PU over.

20. Vault-Tec

Coat three down.

[​IMG]