1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That giant pot of money from launch day must be dwindling by now, surely. How many years are they gonna keep generating free improvements?

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Seeing this at the top again reminded it's months since I last tried playing. Didn't really get into it...

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I guess there will be paid content once they're confident they have built up enough goodwill. Seems to be going okay :happy::

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

So I grabbed this and had a quick play around and it seems that the new content doesn't really "work" in creative mode.

Not really that surprised as in creative it is VERY rare to see a sentinel and the odd one or two that you do see don't attack, not that it would matter as you don't take damage either.

However, the new content does require that you defend your settlement from a sentinel attack with an item dropped from one of them being essential to start the next section up in the anomaly. The problem being that in creative, the sentinel attacks do get triggered with all the alarms and stuff going off, but the attack ends before any of them spawn so the item cannot drop.

Really hoping that we can sort something out as a workaround as my creative save has very much become my main one (it is good to just be able to hop on and off for a few mins to get stuff done without having to repeat things or grind some obscure resources).

5. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

They're at it again!!

It's also 50% off right now.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  6. Almightyrastus

I really hope that a good load of this will work properly with Creative Mode. I have not done any of the previous Sentinels patch as that needs a drop from a settlement attack sentinel to start and they don't spawn in Creative. The attack happens and then stops before any sentinels shown up.

Very cool to see cloaks show up though, now we just need lightsabers... ;)

7. Almightyrastus

Expeditions "series" 6 has also started up with a focus on the new outlaws stuff as well. In addition there are Twitch drops running again. Just tune into a drop-enabled stream for 3 hours (or stick one on mute and do sommat more interesting, like what I am doing at the moment...) and you can claim a load of goodies.

I think the drops are going for 5 days with a different set of shiny things each day.

8. Hex

I always recommend KayRaid when NMS does drops. He streams for hours during the day (UK times) when the drops are happening and his stream is sooo chill. Nice to just leave it on in the background and get the drops! I didn't think muting worked anymore as that no longer counts you as a viewer for Twitch metrics? But you can put streams on really low, or mute the browser.

9. Almightyrastus

Muting the stream works just fine. Doing it now whilst I watch something else on YouTube. I quite like Survival Bob's channel and streams. He is pretty chill on there too, Got yesterday's drops with him.

10. Hex

I've watched his videos, but it's not chill for me, it's very loud. I like Kay cos it's just nice & relaxing and quiet, though his bird often sounds like my smoke alarm battery warning :hehe:

11. Almightyrastus

Right then, that's the 6th expedition all done. Pretty good story to it this time although, as per usual, I would have liked to see/hear more of it. Unfortunately NMS doesn't really do story very well, not really set up for it. The rewards from this expedition are pretty good too, the usual set of banners and decals for your buildings with the two stand out ones for me being the floating cube and the final pirate cape.

The cube is a great addition for those who know about the cube that mysteriously appeared on the space stations, possibly as a bug a few patches back. It would float around the star ship upgrades guy and pass through the walls. It was removed a couple of patches ago and folks weren't please, it appears that a fair few had gotten quite attached to it. Well, it is now back as a base decoration.

With the cloak, there are now 2 in the game with the latest update. The base one is a shiny full length one that replaces the backpack and is all flowy and stuff, and the final reward from this expedition is a similar design, but it is very worn and tattered. You can also get a new hooded helmet as part of the new Outlaws questline in the main game.

I am not too sure when another very cool feature was introduced as i don't generally do much ship combat, but when in space combat you press and hold S which instead of slowing you down, now locks onto the nearest enemy and you follow them, especially useful when dealing with sentinel fighters.

12. Hex

Unfortunately, I think I'm unable to complete this Expedition, at least on Xbox. As soon as I go to Rendezvous 5, I can't interact with anything or load previous saves. I have to completely quit the game and re-open it, then try again annnnd I can't use saves or my ship. Every damn time. This really sucks! I guess I'll just complete what I can and leave the final part.

[EDIT] Was going to say it seems like I fixed it, but I summoned my freighter in, went inside, there's a HUGE asteroid inside the Freighter and then I fell out into space :hehe: This Expedition is really unhappy with me.

13. Almightyrastus

Got another big update popping up today, Leviathan:

[​IMG]

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Space whales?!

[​IMG]

15. Hex

This is the trailer for the Leviathan update:

The Roguelike Expedition is weird, but I'm diggin' it so far.

16. Almightyrastus

I have not started this expedition yet, but I do want to get the various bits and pieces. That seems to be what this game has ended up for me as, collect all the shiny things. I do like the solar ship that I have seen people with on this one though, that blue with the white sails is very nice.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The year after release Hello games had $84million cash on hand, they're a company of 26 people. By my maths they could be paid $100'000 a year each for 32 years just from the first year sales. I suspect Hello Games is a pretty decent place to work.

From business model perspective, the game's pushing 6 years old and still sells for betwen £40 and £20 depending on sales etc. Free updates get new sales, keep the value of the base game high, makes more sense to me than the Triple A model of cutting the product into a million tiny pieces. That model just trained me to buy the 'Ultimate Edition' for a tenner three years after release.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You've not met Anno. 2205 the collectors edition came with the season pass, but left out some of the DLC, at the time games had 1 season pass and the season pass just meant all the DLC. After a decent backlash they relented and added the DLC to the season pass. Anno 1800 has the complete edition, but it's not complete because they keep adding more season passes, so they're only complete at the time of purchase. Actually i seem to recall some other shenanigans with complete/ultimate/deluxe editions from UBI. Maybe division. Different editions had different things, but IIRC even the ultimate was missing stuff from the other editions. :duh:

I like how Grim Dawn has done it. The base game was, IIRC, ~£25, the DLCs are ~£14. The base game goes on sale for ~£4, which is fantastic. You have lots of game and you get to see if it's your type of game, the DLCs get discounted too but only to around ~£10. Definitive edition is £45, but goes on sale at ~£20.

19. Hex

Endurance Dropped this morning!

Full patch notes: here

There will also be Twitch drops enabled again from tomorrow.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  20. Almightyrastus

Grabbed this last night, didn't try it though, everything is still a bit too warm in our house right now (solid concrete walls do hold some heat for a while...), 8.55GB update on Steam...

Had a look at Survival Bob's stream though and the new freighters coming with a built base already in them is awesome. Base building (including freighters) is the part of the game that I am really not that into, my bases are built out of necessity rather than as something that looks great, I just don't have the patience for it, it's more of a case of "right I need 4 fleet control rooms, a sales terminal, 2 refiners, and a teleporter, and that all gets put into whatever space is nearby. I would love to be able to get blueprints for base or freighter layouts that I can then just fill in as needed.

Having the npcs around the freighter is awesome though, makes the place feel a lot more alive, although it does suffer from the same problem as the npcs in the settlements in that their thoughts and concerns that pop up above their heads mean nothing and talking to them just gives the same repeating bits of dialogue without an effect on the running of the place or things to do.

I really need to get on and have a good dig through everything when it all cools down enough.