1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other FTTP rollout UK

Discussion in 'General' started by Krikkit, 29 Sep 2021.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That's the correct way around at least. My last house is in a purple area and we got it in Sept '18 so on that trend we'll have it any day now.

IanW likes this.
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Bah. Just outside the yellow region, no Virgin Media, and FTTC is akin to Tad's. Boo!

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well I'm in a purple area so that ties up with what I've seen going on up the road, I guess it's just playing the waiting game!

Edit: My Mum and Dad are in a red zone and already have it too, which is interesting.

4. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

So the map is just someone having fun with crayons.

I'm in a purple place, and no sign of anything. We do have decent FTTC and VM options at least.

5. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

I am on BT full fibre 900, new build house so didn't have to wait at all. Actually getting around 920 - 940mb download currently and 105 - 115 upload.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Rather handily, not, we are just outside a purple area, however, Airband say they will delivering FTTP to our village. If our part of the village is covered, we should go live in the latter part of next year.

We've already had one false dawn...

Last edited: 30 Sep 2021
  7. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

I'm in Cambridge and they dug my street up last week so just waiting for the website to update so I can get connected

8. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

vodafone have exclusivity for 2 years

Omnislip and ElThomsono like this.
  9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I live in a 'village' which is really more like a small town and we just had the honors done by Openreach. There was also a new outfit called freedom fibre offering a free 6 month trial via talktalk but I couldn't bring myself to use talktalk even for 6 months free! Luckily I was just able to order FTTP via Zen / Openreach so I can now have the same technology that South korea has had for 20 years but pay over the odds for it! Yay!

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, according to the BT map, I'm in a red area, but I've had FTTP for a couple of years now (in a rural area, but coming in via pole, so probably easier than putting it into urban areas). I'm currently with BT's 500Mb offering - my contract is due to come to an end soon but the only alternatives in my local exchange are Sky or TalkTalk :rollingeyes:.

11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I had a wander around the area last night and had a look at how far things have gone. Unfortunately our house doesn't seem to be connected just yet. Next door is, but they are fed from a different pole to us. Our connection comes from a pole that is in a little cul-de-sac over the road that hasn't been hooked up yet. Fingers crossed that will get addressed at some point as it will be very frustrating to ahve the fibre running down the pavement in front of the house with no connection... I have to say it feels a little strange that they are going to be using the telegraph poles to connect these days rather than from the street, but hey, if the system is there then they may as well, as long as it works all OK then it makes sense.

I'm sure they will sort it...

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Last edited: 1 Oct 2021
  13. Krikkit

Finally got confirmation that Openreach have finished installing the fibre trunks around us now, so those of you already on FTTP who do you recommend?

BT are doing some good deals at the moment, their 500Mb package is £40/month with 6 months of gamepass included as well which is pretty cheap. Sadly I don't think Plusnet are doing it yet as they're not offering it.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Just had this installed last week:
    [​IMG]
    3Gbps is their top package, gonna need to start upgrading in-house infrastructure to 5GbE over next few years.

I watched them work on the streets, went and asked, they said everything has to be working by end of March, which was a couple of days away. Sure enough it was available to order in early April and I placed order to be installed when school re-started. Surprisingly efficient, the day after my order, they came to get the cable ready outside of the property. On appointment day, engineer just brought it into the house and connected up to ONT. I spent another few days wiring Ethernet back to my router at centre of the house.

I can highly recommend Community Fibre if they are in your area.

15. Krikkit

Thanks but Community appear to be London-only. Shame as they're super cheap.

16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Still on a bit of string and a tin cup here ...

17. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Zen haven't let me down yet and call centres are humans

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Think we'll be moving house again before FTTP gets to us.

19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Barely :grin: (inside knowledge)

Spraduke likes this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's a roll of fibre hanging off the nearby pole which I'm assuming is meant for me...

...when I'm literally about to move. Bah!