1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, but financials in general would be nice. They've been running for nine years now: how much of that $50m-a-year averaged cashflow remains in cash, and how much has been spent? I'm assuming the US staff haven't been working for free for nine years...

I'm very confused why you're trying to prove the financial health of a company by using income from nine years of its global operations but one year of expenses from its much smaller UK arm.

I feel like there was a certain amount of tongue in cheek to that...

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Pretty much because that's what you did with reference to Manchester.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except not: I was pointing out that hiring 1,000 staff in Manchester for five years would cost almost half everything they've raised over the last nine years. The exact *opposite* of what you're trying to suggest, which appears to be that they can afford the Manchester office fine if they haven't actually spent any of the money they raised over the past nine years on development but instead invested it all in functional companies with an actual product.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

EDIT: Since you possibly didn't read the other accounts or understand the point, why don't you have a look here at the y/e '20 a/c's and, since we're working on assumptions, let's assume the Wilmslow office is similar to the proposed Manchester one but at half-scale with its increased headcount (year-on-year) now at 432, then note the increased profit (which is after costs including wages) of +4.7m for the year, up from -30k the prior year, added to the existing 4m balance at bank, factor in the staff wages of 20m (included in final profit figure already) and extrapolate to get 40m for Manc, assume fairly that other income scales the same, then let me know what detail you're missing that precludes you feeling that there is a sustainable effort.

I'll start you off - there is no income in your guesstimate. Which I think you'll find is a key part of being sustainable.

And that's without including global/parent revenue/cost streams or non-existent investments (which isn't the way global corporations operate, but I'll give you that one).

Jesus. Now I'm done with this.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2021
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, we're going back and editing in the hope the other person doesn't see and reply? Got it.

Bzzt. There's $50m a year in income in my guesstimate - which is everything they've raised over the past nine years divided by nine. Now who's not reading things?

I remember why I had you on ignore now. To be fair, it's my fault for deciding the death of the main site was a time to empty out the ignore filter - a mistake I will now correct. Ta-ta!

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Bwah haha ahaha! Yes, Gareth. That’s right, Gareth. Editing behind your back in sinister fashion.

I knew you'd come back with some childish crap that neatly sidesteps the fact that you're just wrong. Happens eeeeeevery time you get challenged.

And that insidious Edit button, eh? No-one ever uses it to correct anything, do they? Sorry to have to say, but it was nothing sinister, more’s the pity. I actually removed a sarcastic comment and replaced it with something more constructive, having the decency to add the “…” and ”EDIT” to show I’d done so, rather than just replacing the whole comment and glancing sideways furtively. Not like you've ever used the button, even a few posts ago, is it?

/cue Gareth trawling the audit files/email alerts to prove another needless point

Clangalangalang! Oh no – you buzzed too early! And picking on individual words again like “no”…oh dear! Let me clarify for you – “there is no realistic detailed breakdown or assessment of income in your guesstimate” - since most other people actually got that first time around.

But it’s not "everything" though, is it? It's not the total, is it? As the accounts show!

Erm…that would still be you, unforts. Try and have a little read of those accounts first - if you need them explained then I’m more than happy to help. I notice you haven’t done any further research yourself - it can get complicated looking at those profit figures, I do understand.

Regarding ignore lists, I thought (optimistically) that you might have realised how obnoxious you were and reset yourself because of that fact, maybe trying to start anew, life being too short and all that but now I see that sadly wasn’t the case.

Remember that guy who used to have a dig at Linux that you had a thing for some years back? Remember the recent pedantic thing about Google and garages that you just HAD to correct? Remember the vaccine stuff? Remember how you’ve had to argue and argue over the most hairsplitting things until you’re blue in almost every other thread you’ve been on?

I now see that this isn’t about the sustainability of Star Citizen or its model; it’s about you being unable to ever be wrong.

Think of this as my farewell to you for now, but please, please add me back to your ignore list. It will save you going through this again. I won’t be adding you to mine in case I miss an opportunity to see you go through it elsewhere.

Maybe one day we’ll both get over you, but sadly, I currently have zero interest in engaging further with you (certainly not in constructive debate) and there’s no way I’ll be trying to make you see another side to anything.

Your burning pathological need to always be the only person in the room that’s right pretty much precludes those possibilities. Also not the first time this has been pointed out on here, I might add.

As a parting gift though, here's something for you to try - try seeing other peoples' posts in the semi-serious light in which they’re intended, without feeling the need to add made-up incomplete figures or arguments every time. Try and just enjoy the community like everyone else, without trying to own it. Be a bit humble. Learn the words "Oh, I'm sorry - I misunderstood. I see what you mean now." You'll go further, without looking like you’re trying to be the epitome of self-righteousness.

Thanks for the chat though – be good and Merry Christmas!

Pete J and SuperHans123 like this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Tthat office has burnt through nearly £100 million since 2015! Thats insane!

Edit: I have time on my hands, so I did the maths, that office has gone through £102 million from 2015 to 2020!! That is utterly insane.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2021
  8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Jesus. Even my missus would struggle to keep up with that.

She did produce an essay the other day though - does that put her in front of CIG, delivery-wise?

N17 dizzi likes this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Depends, is it really boring and ocasionally catches fire? If not, way ahead!

ModSquid likes this.
  10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I think it's too late for me this time around, but has anyone been engaging in the Jumptown dynamic event or any of the others?

Any good?

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Anyone been playing recently? How’s this awesome game coming along?

12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

[​IMG]

Otis1337 likes this.
  13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

According to the latest newsletter that I just caught up on, some of that excess cash has been put to use developing an in-game dating app...

Edit: my email is jumbled, it was from earlier in the month so may be "olds", rather than "news".

Last edited: 29 Apr 2022
    kosch likes this.
  14. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

And in other news, more money spent on things we didn't need, or indicate it'd ever be used..

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That was a "Triggerfish" post (The in universe version of April Fools)

In other news, the latest patch (3.17) was pushed to the live servers on Friday.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18553-Alpha-317-Has-Launched

N17 dizzi and ModSquid like this.
  16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

HA! :duh:

I consider myself well and truly got, in that case. What a goof. I did wonder "What the hell?!" when I saw it, but then I just assumed it was a comedy side venture one of the devs had snuck in.

I expect they were baiting us all and rubbing their hands in anticipation of the inevitable backlash...fair play to them!

17. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

“We knew early on that, to hit the fidelity we expect for Sq42, we would need to do some R&D on bedsheet deformation. This work is currently underway and, if successful, will allow the AI to deform their sheets when entering, exiting, or sleeping inside them. This is a challenging assignment and expands the complexity of the feature. For example, what happens to the sheets if the AI needs to exit the bed in an emergency?”

Would anyone actually see this feature?

18. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Absolutely unreal that this is their focus after all this time.
    What a bunch of con merchants.

19. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I hope they can extend this technology to when the NPCs wipe their arse on the toilet, otherwise I literally won't be able to sleep at night knowing the bog roll doesn't deform properly when it touches their anus.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Manager: "Why are you in bed? You're meant to be working."
    SC dev: "...I am... I'm er... doing some R&D on bedsheet deformation"
    [lie gets out of hand]
    https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/the-s...y-looking-into-accurate-bedsheet-deformation/