1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Do you care about PC power consumption?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 3 Apr 2022.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Well there not all mine I have 4 kids (3 teenagers) all who have PCs which they play games on

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yes in the sense of efficiency,

For my current gaming time I generally use my laptop (5800H / 3080*) over my desktop (5900X / RX6800) as its actually just as fast / faster yet uses less power than just the GPU on my desktop.

*3080M 16GB which is broadly in line with a desktop 3070/3070Ti (6144 CU @ ~1800Mhz / 14Ghz GDDR6) - thus slower than a 6800 outright but can match it when the game favours Nvidia hardware - ala Destiny 2 (or anything that uses RT & can utilise DLSS ).

wyx087 likes this.
  3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I don't track usage but probably would if I had any idea what it was costing me and had an easy way to do so. I suppose I could get one of those wall plug efforts that I then connect to the plug at the end of the multi-strip, but if wyx's estimate of ~£50/yr is applicable to me, then I think it's probably more hassle for me to faff about with settings. I could reduce the overclock on the CPU for normal daily usage I guess, but anything more involved than that and I know I'd end up either forgetting to put it back up when gaming and complain how rubbish things are, or end up causing more dramas than I solve (which is normally the case for me).

Plus the £20ish quid for a wall monitor adds to any cost as well.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I only power up my main rig once or twice a week, and I rarely play games on it, so I'm not remotely bothered by power draw.

Also, the power rating of components is one thing, but PCs generally draw diddly squat at the wall until you fire up a resource-hogging program.

If I was mining or folding, yeah I'd be watching power draw like a hawk.

5. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

I do as I want my PC to be whisper quiet for work and efficient power consumption is key to keeping my home office quiet.

After work, I care a bit less, and expect my rig to handle the newest and best games at a good level of quality and with excellent framerates. But I still expect it to be very efficient.