1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

First thing I asked the seller after arranging a collection date/time :)

IanW and liratheal like this.
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I've been travelling for work quite a bit. I like taking notes with pen & paper, but transferring those notes to the PC is a pain the arse so I never do it. Using the laptop for note-taking is something I simply cannot get used to. On my recent travels I was joined by two girls/women from one of our clients, and they both had iPads for note-taking, using GoodNotes. Pretty impressive stuff, to be honest.

Long story, short: I just ordered an iPad Pro 12.9" and if my company feels like paying for it, cool. If not, I'll be fine as well. Arriving tomorrow already, I'm excited.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A few years back I picked up a reMarkable 2, initially 'cos it was a great device for reading PDFs - but it has become my go-to notetaker. Absolutely love the thing. Wasn't cheap, mind you, at £449 - and I note that to get the same thing now is £477, if you include the folio (£69 for a cheap fabric sleeve, completely ridiculous) and top-end stylus.

On a bit of a tangent: bloody cheeky of 'em to say "from £299," 'cos while that's *technically* true you wouldn't get a (cheap fabric) sleeve to keep it in or a pen to actually... y'know, use the thing. I guess you've the option of buying the thing solo at £299 then picking up a compatible tablet case for £10 and a cheap Wacom-compatible stylus, at least...

Anyway, yeah, it's not cheap, and it does nothing but take notes and read ePubs and PDFs. No browser, no games, nowt. It's also a greyscale E Ink display, so not for everyone, especially when you could get an all-singing-all-dancing colour tablet for the same price.

But I love it anyway.

4. perplekks45

I looked into the reMarkable and other eInk devices (Onyx & others), but the option to use colours in my notes and the input lag (or lack thereof) was the deciding factor. Do I need an iPad Pro to take notes? No, surely not. Wouldn't a cheaper device do almost the same? True, but I had the money and I'll use this thing for years to come.

The reMarkable does seem like a really nice piece of kit, though. And I really like their philosophy of "you won't need or want to buy a new device every year, this'll last you for 10 years".

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A recent firmware update did add the ability to pick colours: as well as black, grey, and white, you now have an "exported colour" option which offers blue and red, and the highlighter now supports green and pink in addition to the default yellow.

They all show up as shades of grey on the thing itself, of course, but you get the full colour in the exported PDF.

But an iPad Pro is definitely the better device for almost every task, except for reading and notetaking in good light!

6. perplekks45

That actually sounds a lot closer to what I want to do then it used to (pre-patch). Then again, I'll give the iPad a go and see if it's as good as I want it to be. If not, there's still a return window.

7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I’m starting to need a hand writing / sketching to pdf solution. I’m beginning another round in person data gathering / requirements gathering workshops later this year and this might be good so I can capture my own notes rather than my notebook.

Normally the BA’s in the team capture notes and store them in one drive, do you know what functionality it has in terms of storing pdf’s directly to one drive or share point?

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I know I probably don't need to share but all I can see now is a team full of....
    [​IMG]

perplekks45, Pete J and Goatee like this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

The BA's are scarier than that but will definitely get on a plane.

perplekks45, adidan and Pete J like this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Everything you do is synched with the company's own servers and accessible using mobile and desktop apps; there's also a permanently-in-beta web interface accessible over USB, which is what I use 'cos they gave up on their Linux client. It works well enough, although it chokes when I try to drop 300MB magazine scans on there; I've a separate tool for that.

You can also email files to and from it, with support for handwriting recognition. If your handwriting's better than mine, anyway...

Used to be that was your lot, until a recent update added support for Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive. It's a manual process: you can browse files on them, then choose one to download to the reMarkable; when you're done, you can upload it again.

The sticking point, though: used to be all this was free, but now it costs £5.99 (from memory) a month. Cheeky, given the cost of the hardware, but luckily I'm grandfathered in as an early adopter and don't have to pay; if I did, I probably wouldn't bother and would just stick with USB transfers instead.

Goatee likes this.
  11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Hmm, dont like the sound of a monthly cost to use the other tools feels like a bit of a piss take. Will do some more reading. Cheers for the info.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I went a bit @Pete J yesterday:-
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And that last one came with a freebie:-
    [​IMG]
    Beru Lars in her kitchen

trigger, MadGinga, LennyRhys and 4 others like this.
  13. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Take a picture of notes with iPhone, use the iPhones built in ocr reader, copy paste onto new document.

Job done!

14. perplekks45

Sounds interesting. But how do I add to those notes then? Text will be easy, but drawings?

15. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Not a clue on that front

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Did a bit of a @Gunsmith and treated myself to this beauty - it's full metal and is a licensed replica so has all the original Taurus markings. If my past is anything to go by, I'll also be getting an HK45, a P226, an M1911 and likely several others...

[​IMG]

The_Crapman and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

USB switcher decided to start playing up an rapidly just packed up so picked up a passive KVM which should solve 90% of my problems.

[​IMG]

18. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

If you end up annoyed at the lack of EDID emulation (and possibly not enough USB power for some devices) with that one, then this is a great deal for one that has it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265427743726

I bought 2 from that seller and they are brand new and working perfectly.

19. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

ooooh yeah. Expensive week
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Byron C likes this.
  20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I've been using a TESmart KVM for a couple of years now, never had a problem. Some KVM's I've used needed my gaming mouse plugged into the USB port instead of the mouse port due to the high polling rate but this one is fine. Another I had to change the KVM BIOS to run a certain way for the same reason, the emulation was not compatible with the high polling rate of the mouse. No problems with the TESmart though.