1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I had the exact same thought when he said bloopers at the end !

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I agree. The excessive cuts thing dates back to Bourne, I'm pretty sure. And you're right, the Marvel school of filmmaking taking over the industry can be placed squarely on the success of Avengers.

What I mean about video games having a role in it is just that more and more of the people making movies will be of an age where they grew up playing games, as the older creative peeps die or retire (or go into making pretentious navel-gazing social pieces - sorry to Clint Eastwood, I love the man but American Sniper really jumped the shark). Video games are in the water supply now; their concepts and norms will be bound to affect us on an unconscious level.

Have you seen Morbius, by the way? It's just....every bad trait we've touched on, turned up to 11. It's like a 90-minute video game cutscene.

Unrelated, rewatched Amelie and it's still a 10/10 perfect film and a masterclass in style and pacing particularly. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

Last edited: 13 May 2022
    Pete J likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

True, true, but I think the movie industry, especially the American movie industry, is so far up itself that it'll shun video games and their story telling mechanics for some time yet - And I very much think they should. Every time a game spawns a film I'm aghast at how bland, or how shockingly crap, it is.

That said, I am enjoying Halo - It took a little bit to get into it, and to let the changes settle, but right now I'm really enjoying it. I like that they haven't shied away from making Halsey a complete piece of **** in every respect.

I've not watched Morbius, no. I have an aversion to Jared Leto, so he tends to need a good supporting cast before I'll entertain a film with him in. Or a Fight Club style scene.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ghostbusters Afterlife worth a watch/10

You know what, I enjoyed this. I wasn't expecting much at all but it kept me entertained.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Venom Let There Be Carnage WTF/10

I didn't expect much from Venom the first time around but did find it quite a funny enjoyable watch. This though, jeez, it seemed to have been made just for being made's sake.

Waste of time.

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Jarhead 2
    Jarhead 3

Both background noise whilst trying to clear emails.
    Both Jarring/10

Ah, I wasn't expecting much. They didn't disappoint in that regard. I think somebody might have even acted at some point.

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

'Ang on, Brian - is this released yet? I thought Paramount was out in July or something?! Have I missed the launch?

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its been out for ages in the states, i think we're up to ep 9 now?

10. liratheal

Yeah, I think episode nine is also the last in this series.

I like it. However. If you are a big fan of the spaghetti that is Halo lore per the games, comics, books, and other film/tv stuff. You stand a good chance of hating it.

It is very much not that Halo. Personally, I think the established Halo lore is a dumpster fire of fifty people writing different stuff at the same time and not having one particularly cohesive vision for the "story" (such as can be had in an fps..) so I don't care that it's radically different.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah. Yes, that would be the difference. Think the UK launch is still some way off, unforts.
    This sounds like they might have left it open for another series then? I am looking forward to it (haven't got too deep into the dumpster fire like you say, so I don't think I'll be too irked by any lack of continuity) - I still remember that promo they did for the X360 which I think was called Landfall or similar? Amazing at the time. And the ODST one where he collects his father's flag and then joins up. Great short pieces.

12. liratheal

I think it's already been renewed for a second season.

I never watched the shorts in full, but I think I know some of what you're referring to from clips that've been on sites or what have you.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Series 2 was greenlit and announced before Episode 1 aired. I'm not convinced it will actually happen unless Microsoft has already paid upfront for it.

Now... I am a huge Halo fanboi, clusterfracked lore and all. I absolutely did not like the Halo TV show. I've read rumors (possibly/probably interweb sh*tposts) that it started life as an abandoned Mass Effect TV series. Which makes a lot of sense if true, because the tone, plot and characters in it are very Mass Effect. They're not very Halo at all, which was a real shame.

The promo shorts for Halo 3, ODST and Reach were amazing.

14. liratheal

Honestly, I loved the aesthetic of the game and I was itching to see 'real' versions of them - But I've been acutely aware for some time that getting an actor to be the MC that proper Halo fans wanted was never going to happen. Actors trade on their face - And there's no face under a helmet. Permanently full-face helmeted characters are always going to be something of a turnoff because the actors know they can be replaced without so much as a second thought. Not that he was replaced, but there were parts of The Mandolorian where Pedro wasn't the man under the helmet - And not because of stunts.

Add into that the fact that MC has what, 100 lines in the whole MC saga so far? Most of which with his little blue imaginary friend, so we can presume they're thoughts, not necessarily spoken word. All in all MC works as a player character because it's much easier to 'be him' as it were - But in a TV show? It's just some nameless faceless body playing war. I saw some comments on /r/Halo (I've been enjoying the outrage at the show almost as much as the show) about how the last bit of the last episode so far is "one of only two times MC is MC" or words to that effect. And well. At that point, it might as well be an animated show rather than live action (Which, I admit, isn't necessarily a bad idea). And frankly, how many times can any writer write the same thing over and over? Fast And Furious films have been recycling plots to the point of eating their own face since the third film, arguably the second is just recycling the first too. Halo, as much as I enjoy the games, is.. Bland. Shoot the bright sparkly aliens (and later the less bright sparkly aliens) ad-nauseam. And it is fantastic at that. It's, IMO, the standard for FPS games. But it doesn't make for a very interesting TV show.

I don't much care about Kwan (Except that I got more Bokeem Woodbine), but for me it highlighted the direction I'd have taken with a Halo TV show. I'd not have made MC the main character. Glimpses, little tidbits, something interesting around MC, rather than just presuming the green armour will carry the show. Which, ultimately, wouldn't have been a Halo show that dissimilar to what we have now.

I enjoy it, though. I enjoy that it's not just.. Nine hours of gun fights.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC this was the case with V from V for vendetta, Hugo Weaving wasn't the original choice of actor but they'd already filmed stuff with the previous guy... and they just kept it all in bc you couldn't tell bc of the mask.

16. liratheal

In keeping with the Pedro/Mando thing, Prowse/Vader is another example.

I didn't know the V for Vendetta thing! Interesting - And an excellent example!

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Prowse iirc was also told he'd get to be the 'face' of Vader in RotJ, only they shafted him and replaced him with Sebastian Shaw [and then replaced Shaw by CGIing in Hayden Christensen in in his place].

18. liratheal

Hollywood is a bunch of fickle bastards, and without a face involved, it's easier for them to be fickle bastards.

19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ghostbusters Afterlife 6/10
    Watched with the littlest one and whilst it did have some hilarious laugh out loud moments, found it to be too samey and convenient to score any higher. I'll watch anything with Carrie C in though. However, my major gripe is the needless inclusion of swearing and sex references in what is supposed to be a 12-rated family film. About ghosts.

I'm far, far from being a Constance Mary as my browser history will attest, but I don't expect outside of the age-appropriate educational setting to have to explain what "boning" is to a child, no matter how old and I certainly do not want my children of any age, let alone one of 12 or under, walking around thinking it's okay to use "s..t" (or "boning") in everyday language. (Saying that, Back to the Future has one or two occurrences of the word and that's surprisingly a PG. From the 80s, as well, which negates the argument that standards have slipped these days). I know they'll pick it up in the playground but that's different to giving the impression you condone it via choice of film.

Given that most of the cast are children or mid-teen and this isn't Euphoria, not sure that the sex references and underwear shots were either required or moved the plot along much - and I am differentiating from the sexy stuff, which was of similar ilk to the first (of course it was, because it's samey) and does help the plot when stressed housewife/officeworker/teacher (to use examples from first and last films) suddenly turns all vamp post-possession by ancient hedonistic entity. Let's face it (and although I open myself up to roars from the "well, they're underage, so you shouldn't be letting them watch it" crowd), children under 12 are going to watch this, probably because their parents will have shown them the first one when on some nostalgia trip. If the plot has been made so convenient as to not befuddle the poor dears, then that's the clearly the audience you're gunning for, so why include the above? Edginess? And if you are going to include it, then maybe the pre-film warnings (on Sky at least) should include more than just "Flashing Images".

Ah, fk it. I swear being a parent changes your moral standpoint, sadly. Whatever. All that aside, if the kids are old enough, you're comfortable with it or they're just not around and you're not expecting too much, it's an amusing enough way to while away a rainy afternoon until it's time to re-watch Super Natural :grin:

EDIT: I realise that's a long rant about what amounts to not very many instances during the film, but it's more because I was with the little 'un. Ship has sailed with the older one...

Last edited: 30 May 2022
  20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Top Gun: Maverick. Ace Combat the movie/10
    MOAR DANGERZONE/10
    The greatest flying sequence ever put to film/10
    Top gun: Again/10
    Val Kilmer makes you cry/10

Seriously, Val Kilmer's scene is heartbreaking. Otherwise it was exactly what I expected it to be and it was great.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2022