1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I mean... coffee messes with your brain chemistry.

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

No, coffee puts my brain chemistry right where it's meant to be, it's messed up without coffee.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As do many things we consume without worrying about it but, my experience of many different antidepressants, is not good.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Had a rant about the naturalistic fallacy and mental health care. Deleted it because it's a sunny Sunday afternoon and I literally do not have the energy or patience to get angry and pissy on the internet.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Trouble is it would sometimes work with both paracetamol and ibuprofen, sometimes it wouldn't even touch it. And it was every single day, from a mild headache to axe-splitting head in half nausea. Taking ibuprofen for a prolonged period can also mess with your stomach. You just can't win :sigh:

6. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Car woes. Hopefully not too expensive to repair.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Bladder infection.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Cancer can f right off, going through my grandads bucket list and trying to get everything done because it’s spread to his bones and gone from a 4 to a 14.

:(

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

****, that sucks. Hope you can get through that list. Be sure to spend as much time with him as you can. I should've spent more time with mine.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Managed to damage my mum's sewing machine, all £6000 of it. Repair kit already on the way...

#thingsIcouldhavedonewithout.

11. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Back does not need surgery. Foot drop is in the brain, ergo permanent. Will lose use until I'm permanently dependant on first KAFO brace and then wheelchair.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

For one reason or another, mainly to do with having a hyperactive kitten, I am spending much less time on the PC and a lot more in front of the TV.

Holy bloody sh*t, TV is so damned boring...

13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Hyperactive kittens aren't boring though, so you're not doing too bad. If you want to see it go really hyper, try a "stinkies" cat toy ... they're full of like pure cat nip.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Unfortunately he seems unimpressed by catnip. He does like scrunchy balls though, I throw one for him, he runs after it, bats it around for a few seconds, then brings it back for me to throw again. From time to time he goes hyper all on his own, tears about the place like his tail’s on fire.

IanW, Isitari and spolsh like this.
  15. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Used to have a cat who did that with things like rolled up balls of paper. If there were multiple people in the room he would bring the ball back to each one in turn:

[​IMG]

Young Mr Jeeves, my little buddy all through university, Sadly died just as I was going through my finals, was only around 6 years old. He loved that duck, you just had to be VERY careful with playing with him whilst he was on the stairs like that as he would grab at and open up your fingers if he got the chance, never tried it anywhere else though, just a little crazy with playing on the stairs.

Isitari, MadGinga, IanW and 2 others like this.
  16. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Work issues.
    A month or two ago there was a reshuffle of the company structure and my team, reporting, was shunted under the production team. At the time we raised concerns that this would cause issues for other teams (health and safety, commercial etc.) wanting to access us for new reports and modifications to existing. At the time we were given many assurances that this wouldn't be the case and we wouldn't just be subsumed into a tool of the production team.
    Since then it has been a uphill battle trying to retain any form of autonomy or connection to other teams, very much a "do this for us now" micromanaging strategy from our new overlords. All requests etc have fallen upon deaf ears, we are being ignored. Other teams cannot get access to us because of gatekeeping ********.
    Then Friday my manager handed in his notice, citing his reasons as being ignored and pushed in a bad direction. This morning the whole place is a crap shoot, manager is on garden leave (he accepted an offer with a competitor). I've had two other managers contact me already today, one grilled me about if I knew prior to Friday about my managers leaving.
    I used to be in the production team about 7 years ago and back then it was a toxic cess pit of micromanaging and "boys club" backscratching. I've personally had requests from them before asking for reports to be fudged, make the numbers better, and because of the separation I always had a path of refusal. It doesn't look to have changed much, new face, same ****.
    This will not end well.

IanW likes this.
  17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Work travel booking - not allowed to book hotel room with breakfast as it is £15 above the "limit"; doesn't bat an eye-lid on a nearly £300 rail fair :(

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Had some wiring to do in the loft. Thought I would head up there this morning and do it "before it got too hot up there"

[​IMG]

Sounds about right. Breakfast included rate puts it above the rate cap, so you book the one without breakfast that's £20 lower and then expense £30 for breakfast and that's just fine?

I used to be frequently amused by the rules coded into my work's travel booking system. Fortunately it did let you book things out of policy, I just often got a "telling off" by some random travel admin person with an inexplicable lack of world awareness. So long as it was logical as far as a human was concerned though I was safe from reprimand.

Middle east travel was always getting me in trouble, due to most of the region being catastrophically expensive and as much as a simple burger in the hotel going well over what Mr/Ms admin decided was an acceptable amount for a personal mail. For some reason there was a rule in the system that loosened the policy for the Nordics, but no such rule for the Middle East.

My personal favourite though, was getting a sternly worded email because I booked a direct flight to Riyadh, when there was a much cheaper route available... with an overnight layover in Beirut. My reply was a single link to the FCO's travel advice page for Lebanon.

Last edited: 17 May 2022
    Pete J and MadGinga like this.
  19. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Not forgetting the cost of sitting around for the extra time of cheap flights. Travel policies are laughable. My favourite being you must use the travel agent we have set up despite being 100s more expensive than booking direct as well as taking 3 days to do a 30min job!

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My guess is that was to allow for the ludicrously high prices for booze in the Nordics. No legal booze in Middle East, so no need for a more forgiving policy.

EDIT - See @Spraduke reply below

Last edited: 17 May 2022