1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New VPN time

Discussion in 'Software' started by David, 16 May 2022.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My Nord subscription runs out in a few weeks. By and large, it's been okay, but not without it's problems.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Personal experience, obvs - I can google just as well as your average potato, but I'd prefer community consensus if possible.

ta

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I switched from Nord to AirVPN a year or so back, and all the issues I used to have remotemy accessing my Plex server vanished. Speed and reliability have been superb.

David likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I'm another AirVPN user. Never had any complaints.

David likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I use Private Internet Access, and it's .. Fine? I don't really use it for much other than cough wink wink.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Damned autocorrect.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The NordVPN Linux CLI client is pretty good. I have a Container dedicated to be connected 24/7, and I proxy into it if I want to go via VPN. But sometimes throws a wobbly and I'd have to re-install it to get it working again.

How's Linux CLI access from other providers?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

AirVPN has Eddie, an OpenVPN-based GUI and CLI; it also has AirVPN Suite, a CLI-only OpenVPN3 client. Alternatively, you get full instructions on using it through OpenVPN, Network Manager on Debian or Ubuntu, and Wireguard, or you can follow the instructions to configure a DD-WRT, Tomato, AsusWRT, or pfSense router to connect to it for you.

Pretty good, in other words!

IanW and wyx087 like this.
  8. Cheeky3

Cheeky3 What's a Dremel?

Depends on what you look for in a VPN - I use the free psiphon VPN on my iPhone, not sure that’s available for desktop

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I've been using Hotspot Shield for a few years now, can be installed at router level, or PC and mobile devices (iOS and Android). Has been handy when wanting to watch the F1 when away on holiday.

10. Cheeky3

Cheeky3 What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah, hotspot shield is decent.

Again, what’s your purpose OP? How important is speed to you?

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Right, I'll just borrow your thread if that's ok David?

My father-in-law is looking for a VPN, preferably something he can apply at a 5G router level to allow him to watch Sky Go when he's travelling Europe in a caravan. I can help him set it up, but after that it needs to be easy to operate, has anyone any suggestions?

12. wyx087

Does the router firmware have a list of supported supplier by default in its UI? Or do you plan to install your own service to it via command line?

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Excellent question, I'll find out, thanks.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ok, it seems he's got a Z8102AX-T-2 from the Guangdong Province, running OpenWRT (yuck) which NordVPN have configuration instructions for, that might be a go-er?

15. wyx087

I'm with NordVPN as paid customer, no problems with their service, close to max out my gigabit internet for downloads. Though connection is done via mobile device, web browser plug in or Linux CLI, not directly on a router.

16. kim

kim hardware addict

Just to mention, I found a pretty fast and free VPN, certainly the best free VPN I tried, (tho, there is a so-called better version that comes with a price but I don't recomand it), it is called CloudfareWarp
    The security level is not that high and cannot contest with Nord or others VPN, there is an encryption of exchanges, but it is limited here. Unlike traditional VPNs, Warp was not designed to mask your IP address totally, or hide your identity but If you want to bypass a local restriction, protect your connection on a public network or hide (a little) your activity on the internet, it is fine.

wyx087 likes this.
  17. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I have posted a free Norton 360 key on the market place, this includes their secure VPN if that is any use to you?

ElThomsono likes this.
  18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Thanks, but it's looking like NordVPN will do the business and I really haven't the headspace to go any further with it.