1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

From what I have been seeing on a few videos is that whilst it is very much being billed as XCOM 2 but 40k, it seems to have had more than a few changes to the mechanics of XCOM, especially in terms of the RNG of shooting and damage. In Chaos Gate there is none of the shoving your storm bolter up the nose of a plague bearer and then missing completely. There doesn't seem to be variable damage either, if your shooting is going to do 4 damage then it does 4 damage, not 2 to 4.

Of course it is FULL of mega cheesy GW scripting, but that is the way of things with GW produced and licensed stuff these days.

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, man. This is the worst part of it all. I cannot get my head around the fact that a bunch of conscripted warrior thugs from feral backwater planets speak better Queen's English than my Nan. It's as if they have elocution lessons (or implants) as part of their training.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'll just leave this here...

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hmm. This one I'm not sure about - I don't know if I like the old skool graphics but it does look well shooty, which is always a bonus. If it plays well and is priced accordingly, it might be worth boarding a drop pod for.

5. Almightyrastus

Finally the motivation to actually do something arrived again (really hate the complete lack of motivation that comes with a "low"), so grabbed the big new ork on shark-squig fella and cracked on with it. Good opportunity to break out some of my best sharp n shinies as well...

[​IMG]

liratheal likes this.
  6. Almightyrastus

Now maybe I am a little late to this particular party (would not be the first time...), but gap filling on plastic models... spru goo.

Grabbed a bottle of this stuff:

[​IMG]

Decanted about half of it to another bottle and then started to add cut up bits of old spru. Let it all melt down into a slurry, not too thick and then you can paint it into gaps, it bonds properly to the plastic (same stuff and all that), and you can then file and sand it all smooth. I used some on the join of the head to the body of that squiggy boy above and it's just like using easy green stuff. Sure it takes a little smoothing and you need to be careful of details, but it works really well.

Used some on the centre line head joint as well, and aside from a slight colour difference, once filed and sanded (nail polishing blocks cheesecake), there was no indication of a joint, especially when painted:

[​IMG]

Pete J and liratheal like this.
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Nice! Never heard of that trick - always learning on here. Does the bottle of slurry not set over time, or is it only if exposed to the air?

8. Almightyrastus

Only when it dries, the liquid cement keeps it all soft. You can do the same with old spru and acetone.

A friend on Twitch made a load of rocks with a silicone mould and a big batch of particularly thick goo. The stuff she was putting in the mould was more of a soft rubber consistancy. Once the acetone had evaporated and everything had hardened the popped them out and had a load of plastic rocks.

For the stuff I make, you want it more of a thick paint consistency so you can fill in thin gaps.

ModSquid likes this.
  9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Sooooo.....Necromunda: Hired Gun appears to be in this month's Humble Choice. I'm currently paused Choice-wise, so the question is whether it's worth unpausing for. Obviously, online reviews are available, but a lot of them don't seem to take into account the rose (vermillion?)-tint through which us GW fans see anything with an aquila or bolter attached.

Has anyone got any hands-on time with this one? Still need to finish Deathwing, Dawn of War 2-3, BF Gothic....all of which are what N: HG is going to have to compare favourably to (but most notably Deathwing). The trailer I saw does admittedly look like just another shooter, so I'm hoping some of the other mechanics might add some flavour.

EDIT: I found this where scores swing from rather low to 7ish, but if these are based on bugginess as suggested, I'd hope this was ironed out by now.

10. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I bought it, I've played it for quite a few hours and it is a dreadful (I was hoping it would suddenly improve / click with me). Last time I played it was still buggy, it's clunky and there is no connection to the action. The upgrades to equipment are lacklustre and the game just feels disjointed. Don't waste your time, Money or disk space.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, that's a shame.

In that case, with one of the only other "highlights" of this month's Choice being Lawnmower Simulator, I think I shall remain firmly on pause!

12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

13. Almightyrastus

I'm kinda getting into these Ork Beastie Boyz at the moment:

[​IMG]

[ZiiP] NaloaC and MadGinga like this.
  14. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

i've been watching the drip feed of info on the squats sorry, Leagues of Votann; and i've got to say i'm a bit dissapointed. The basic troopers look good, but the bikes/trikes? nah just nah.

Not sure what they're going to bring to the "party" that makes them different/interesting. They cant be mech-suited awesomeness (taken by the Tau), they cant be more supersoldier than the space marines and they cant do cannon fodder like the imperial guard and they cant do the make-do and mend/bodge/tinker as the orks got that one. Where do they fit/sit?

Dwarves (in fantasy) had the same issues they were alwasy described as more technologically advancesd (in the lore), buit then the cool tech was always present in the Empire army (steam tank), and the tech they did have was always prone to "issues".

/rant

15. Almightyrastus

With you on that one. They have lost all the feeling of what made Squats so fun. I kinda like the background story of them being dispossessed from their homeworlds, explains the time gone quite well.

However, as for how I would like to see them now is a lot like the Nomads in Cyberpunk 2077. A rough "family" group that is nomadic in nature whilst still being tech savvy and not afraid to work on and develop new tech. That fact would be enough to allow for new funky stuff and differentiate them from the rest of the Imperium. The Nomad look would also suit them as well, allowing for a throwback to the biker feel of the originals whilst still allowing for some more high tech bits and pieces. The nomadic nature would also work quite well for them with the centre of any camp being the prized possession that is that group's central processing core being moved from place to place as they search for more fragments of data.

MadGinga likes this.
  16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Stumbled across this the other day whilst procrastinating and nearly fell off my chair at the price.

It doesn't even have weapons (or a working reactor core, for that money).

17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah FW prices are insane...always have been always will be, and then FW wonder why people go to recasters, who can deliver BETTER quality, at less than half the price

18. lilgoth89

[​IMG]
    figured id post an image from my weekend game at WHW

19. lilgoth89

it was supposed to be Imperium vs Chaos, but i kinda realised with the 3d printed armour kits for my Chaos knights might have had me asked to leave, so i took Tau instead

20. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

By the THRONE, that is a LOT of armour on that field (more than there are footsloggers, it seems). And it's a narrow enough field that movement surely becomes irrelevant - like a 40K version of galleon broadsides...? If I was supposed to be on foot in that fight, I'd actually be in the bar/orbiting vessel/hiding in the blue stasis Tupperware at the far end.
    But this is a thing? I can understand the reasoning to a degree, but there are seriously eagle eyes enough to know when something painted has/n't been printed and/or they're picky enough to boot you for self-printing some shoulder pads and adornments? Ridonks.

We used to mod the **** out of these things years ago using all sorts of gubbins (I refer you to that weird landspeeder in the original Rogue Trader manual). Now though, they're going to boot you from a game for doing what it was all about years back just because the tools are different? God Emperor.

Who won, anyway?