1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

**** every last person who voted for that ****.

Dim-witted ******s, isolationist tosspots and idiots longing for the good old days that never were - calling me a project fear remoaner who just has to accept the democratic will of the gullible cnuts who believed everything they were spoon-fed people. Now that the reality is starting to bite, they pretend that it's still better than if we stayed in, or it's not as bad as everyone thinks, or it's entirely due to covid, or because of some **** who couldn't drive a ship in a straight line.

Seriously, if you voted for this idiocy, **** you!

I need a drink.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Don't hold back or mince your words, tell us how you really feel.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Thanks - I'll endeavour to be more assertive in future. ;)

liratheal likes this.
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Good plan, I get very mixed vibes as it it stands! :p

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

7. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Gove makes Blair look like a paragon of decency!

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that the sort of people who don't mind this sort of duplicity are people who are themselves full of it.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The fun part, of course, is that even removing VAT means that the average April price rise would still have put thousands into fuel poverty.

54 per cent price hike: £100 bill became £154.

54 per cent price hike, but no VAT: £100 bill became £128-and-a-third.

EDIT: Balls, wait, no, VAT is five per cent on home energy, innit? Only 20 per cent on business energy. So it's even worse:

54 per cent price hike, but no VAT: £146.67.

You're still looking at a 28.33 46.67 per cent price hike. In France, meanwhile, prices went up... Four per cent. That's it, in total. France. Which is, y'know, still part of the EU, but which didn't think privatising essential services was a good idea.

Hmm.

9. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

That's not the total - they are going to be paying for the difference for a long time via taxation! Certainly preferable to inducing fuel poverty though.

10. Gareth Halfacree

's not my understanding: my understanding is it's the energy companies who, having made bank in better years, will be footing the bill. As per here.

There were some cuts in taxation, amounting to €8bn, which is... what, a quarter of what we spaffed up the wall on privatised Track & Trace that failed to track and/or trace properly? Seems like a bargain t'me.

11. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

We are each half-right, because the French state owns the vast majority of EDF. The French government has therefore devalued its own asset (by -27% in the last 6mo vs, say, +40% for Shell, +20% for BP, though these companies are not really directly comparable). Like I said, I think this solution is better than just letting price rises take hold, but it is not cost-free.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Doesn't that only matter on paper, tho'? I can't imagine there are any plans to sell off the chunk currently under state ownership, so it's all just make-believe "value" anyway.
    Nothing in life is, sadly, but I'd definitely have preferred the French approach to the way we're doing things 'ere...

13. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

They seem to pay dividends, so that is lost government revenue, and presumably the government will be on the hook if anything goes very badly wrong to EDF as a consequence of the price restrictions

14. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, aye, didn't think of dividends. Apparently the state owns 83.88 per cent, which equates to... €18,180,336 from the dividend paid out in January this year. Not chump-change, sure, but a drop in the ocean for a nation with a near-€3 trillion GDP. Assume that EDF has to skip the next dividend, and you could recoup that with a single tax payment of about €0.27 per person.

15. Gareth Halfacree

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm really running out of superlatives to describe the bunch of idiots we have now.

It really seems like Orwellian double-think in action, all the time they're feeding us the lie that it's someone else's fault. Truly disheartening.

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The worst thing, is that there are still a lot of people out there who say Johnson is doing a good job and, all the law breaking doesn't matter...

None so blind, as those that won't see.

Krikkit likes this.
  18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Watching the DUP doing this is completely soul destroying, especially how incoherent they are at it.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Johnson's dad takes French citizenship.

FFS.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Pritti Patel will keep him out, now that he’s made himself a foreigner. Silver linings!

adidan likes this.