1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

Anyone know how to take a screenshot on a Samsung A7 Tablet? On android devices its always been holding the power and volume keys together though its not doing anything here. Not trying to screenshot a particular app either, can't screenshot anywhere

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It seems to be power and volume down together, press & release don't hold.

Alternative - Activate google assistant and say "Take a screenshot". You might have to activate "Use screenshot" first in google assistant's settings.

maple likes this.
  3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

My friend died. I had never met him in person but hired him as a website developer about 2yrs ago and we ended up becoming friends. We'd spend most evenings video calling as he worked on my website and taught me stuff in oxygen builder. He had a crazy life, was in the army, then a pilot, then taught himself web development, java, css, jquery, oxygen and all sorts of other stuff I didn't understand and took on freelance jobs which is how I found him. He lived in turkey and was constantly upbeat and happy, so energetic and its why i hired him, he had such a good attitude. He was due to finish a project for me which was 70% done and told me about a month ago he got hospitalised. He discharged himself and the last video he sent me will haunt me as he talks about leaving and feeling fine despite doctors suggesting he stays. Then, last 5 days I hadn't seen him online or any recent activity, none of my texts on whatsapp had been received by him, he showed no activity on facebook either which is unlike him given his job revolved around web development and he is always online. I couldnt shake this terrible feeling something had happened, he was only late 40s

I got a message in turkish yesterday from his wife which I had to use google translate to understand. He had died on friday from a heart attack.

I'm devastated even though I only knew him for less than 2 years and never met him in person...its funny how someone leaves a lasting mark on you. I can't shake this feeling of sorrow...just not sure how to process this, it feels quite surreal. He was late 40s at best..

I'll have to find someone else to finish the website now even though I paid him upfront - that doesn't really bother me so much...but just sad I've lost a friend I made who was actually a really nice guy.
    =/

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

What's ruining my life? Three words: Generalised Anxiety Disorder. I've lived with anxiety all my life, but was only diagnosed with severe GAD about 18 months ago. I really hate the "generalised" bit, because it makes non-sufferers think that it's a milder form of normal anxiety ("oh, it's just general anxiety, that's not bad") when it's much, much worse..."generalised" means that I have anxiety about everthing.

My employer knows about it, and I have a meeting today with HR (which they told me about yesterday, so of course I've been worrying about it ever since) to discuss reasonable adjustments or a new role...but I think that the outcome will probably be that I end up looking for a new job (which brings with it a whole load of new anxieties)

And so the cycle continues...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm sure your employer wants to keep hold of you! I imagine they want to know more, that's all.

IanW, Flibblebot and goldstar0011 like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

IDK if you are on meds for it. I am.

Don't take Pregabalin. It's amazing for about two weeks, then it stops working, the side effects make you pee yourself and when you try to come off of it? dear god.

About the best thing I have taken for it (aside from my anti depressant, Citalopram) is Buspirone. The only thing I don't like about it is it makes me a bit fidgety and want to work on things etc. But I suppose that's not that bad, as at least I get things done. Which when my anxiety is terrible I do nothing apart from lying in bed shaking and biting my nails.

Flibblebot likes this.
  7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Sadly, not true. The meeting went exactly as I expected - there's no other roles in the company to move to, and making reasonable adjustments to my existing role isn't feasible. I basically ended the meeting by telling them that I had no other alternative than looking for a new job...they didn't disagree.
    The only meds I've tried was Sertraline, but that's not specifically anti-anxiety (afaik it's more of an antidepressant) and did absolutely nothing for me. I think it might be time to go back to the GP, so thanks for the suggestions.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Pregabalin has worked wonders for me, but my issue nerve damage and seizures. But I second buspirone. I do get up and work a lot.

9. Vault-Tec

Yeah that's not really a great one for anxiety. It's very, erm, "Uplifting" IE it made me bloody hyper. I also destroyed my canines grinding them on that too.

Buspirone is extremely inoffensive tbh mate. It has no bad side effects, and is definitely on the lighter side. I have had some real doozies for making you walk into things etc. Pregabalin is like that at first, makes you feel stoned out of your brains.

And yeah, I am aware that PG has its uses for nerve issues etc. Problem for me is I would go wee, shake for ages, etc etc. Put it back in my pants, relax, then the rest would come out. It's horribly additive though. I think the only thing that made me feel worse on coming off of it was Venlaflaxine.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Wel
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll part on good terms at least.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Drivers.

Long drive yesterday.

South eastern drivers think indicators are optional and never let anyone out. Seriously, we added five seconds to our journey to let someone turn and let thirty or forty cars move on.

North eastern drivers like to argue in the car and swerve over the road so much so we had to beep them to avoid oncoming traffic.

Motorway drivers. Middle lane hoggers, most of whom were texting. The same with lorry and van drivers swerving into the hard shoulder - all texting. So many of them.

Give me strength.

Pete J likes this.
  12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

GPU died. The one component I thought was fine and could get away with not replacing.

So now £270 skinter...

At least it's only £270 i guess...

13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Bugger, what are you getting as replacement ?
    edit : went to other thread , ahh, RTX 2060

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Aye, was looking at the 3060, but it was a lot extra money for not a lot extra grunt [relative to the 2060].

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Chop saw decided to start playing up yesterday, wouldn't fire up on the trigger, then wouldn't stop, weird noise from the thing under now load and it's giving wavy cuts on a 32mm square bit of wood.
    That an today is mayhem at work it's not going to well.

16. KayinBlack

Woke up screaming from night terrors. Thank science it only happens once a year or so.

17. Vault-Tec

Ah yes, one thing I forgot about Pregabalin...... Happened to me at least twice every night. Just as my mind would switch off to sleep I would leap into the air thinking my heart had stopped.

18. KayinBlack

Mine are related to trauma from losing my son. In fact that's what it was this time.

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Morning so far:
    Almost sleep in entirely
    Run* to train station
    Trains are all delayed
    Wait for the next train
    Next train never comes
    Speak to guy in ticket office, there is not one but 2 trains broken down up the line.
    Hang around for a little thinking what to do, decide to go get bus
    Realise I can get a Gregg's
    Bus goes from due in 9 mins to due in 1 min in the blink of an eye while I'm in the Gregg's queue
    Run* to catch bus
    Catch bus.
    Bus sits at stop for 5 mins.
    Encourage person to take the seat next to me that I can't fit in because of a metal bar in front of it
    Don't realise person is 1.7 seats wide.
    Now have very little seat and the stupid scuplted racing style seat is digging it's edge into my back

I'm now very hot and sweaty, very thirsty, caffeine less and will get into work at least an hour later that I should.

This is why you ALWAYS take your laptop home, even if you're going back to the office the next day.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sorry, but the message I got from your experience this morning was: "avoid public transport like the plague".

TBF though I'd be in the same boat if it wasn't for having a motorbike. If you're driving a car then you have to pay a fortune to park anywhere near the office, but I can park my bike about 30 seconds walk from the door.

Pete J and The_Crapman like this.