1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows If you were to re-install Windows, 10 or 11?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wyx087, 13 Jun 2022.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

If you were to nuke your system partition and re-install Windows today, would you choose to install 10 or 11? why?
    (assuming you have 11 compatible hardware)

Windows 11 should be mature enough now? Installing now saves another re-install down the line when it is time to jump ship due to shiny features or eventually ending support.

My Windows 10 is playing up. Of all the possible things, it's Microsoft program: I can't download any Gamepass games and online fixes doesn't work. Probably due to me deleting strange folders Xbox app created in my game drive.... why does it need to do this when all other launchers can install to the directory I point them to!? I just want to fly Top Gun and Halo Pelican in MSFS.

I really like Windows 10's customisable start menu. I use it to launch games and arrange games in order I'd like to play or completed (left side to play, right side completed). I don't think Win 11 have as extensive customisation, it just behaves like iOS home icons. Is there a launcher that allows me to place shortcuts like Win 10 start menu in similar way on Win 11? But not completely replace Win 11 start menu.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As things are W10 is rock solid on my PC but, if I had to do a clean install, I would probably give 11 a try.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

10 until they stop messing about trying to make it difficult to just have a local account.

Gunsmith likes this.
  4. wyx087

That's the thing, articles I've read says local account should still work. Only forced to sign in via online account when installing the new 22H2 updated installer. So if anything, now would be a good time to jump onto 11?

My thinking is similar......

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Win10, until the point where newer gaming features are released for Win11 only.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I use 11 on my laptop and it is fine but my games and work machines are on 10 and will remain there until MS allow more customization on the GUI like 10 or I have no alternative with respect to latest features but to adopt 11.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm due a clear out and fresh install, but it'll probably be Windows 10 for the time being. I'm not for or against Win 11, I just don't really care about it.

OMT-63 and kim like this.
  8. wyx087

4 for win10
    1 just for trying win11

Guess it's better and more stable to stick with what already works. It makes sense and it'll be the way I'll do it in next couple of weeks. Thanks guys.

please do shout if there's different opinion in the meantime.

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'm an advocate for Windows 11. Not because it's necessarily better as they are largely the same, but I prefer the aesthetics and general layout. Plus, I'm a sadist who likes upgrading/installing my operating system!

I use 11 on my home PC and for my work PC, both of which I have setup for Insider Previews and I've yet to have an issue.

slimithy and wyx087 like this.
  10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I use W11 for my work laptop and W10 for home. Don't notice that much of a difference, layout of things changed slightly, but I still use it in the same way.

Not sure if it's a W11 vs W10 or just my work laptop vs home pc power difference but pressing windows key, typing and then pressing enter to run whatever you've searched for seems slower on my work/W11 setup. Often having to wait multiple seconds/deleting and retyping to get the search to go.

wyx087 likes this.
  11. creative

creative 500rwhp

Just unplug the network cable until you create a limited account.

Currently had the same dilemma at work. Got 18 NUCs to do and have decided to just bite the bullet and do W11. Been running it on my laptop at home and had no issues

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

11. It just feels a bit more modern. I like some of the improvements and it was painless to fix my one bugbear about it. Ultimately I'm not that bothered though. From a practical pov they're pretty similar.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2022
  13. adidan

Yeah, not going to faff until it offers more than 10 for gaming.

14. wyx087

Direct Storage is coming to 10 right?
    Is there anything up coming that is going to be exclusive on 11?

(in terms of PC gaming)

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Is it an additional license cost? That would swing it.

16. wyx087

I think Windows 11 can activate with Win 10 keys?
    But Windows 10 can activate with Win 7 keys. Therefore Windows 11 will work with Windows 7 keys?
    I am still using Windows 7 keys I got for free from my university days.....

Microsoft have moved to SaaS (software as a service) model, they couldn't care less if you have a proper license. That's probably why we are seeing many £10 windows licenses.

17. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

Same. 11 all the way for me.
    11 is just 10 with a new UI, but I've got so used to it I can't go back to 10 because it just feels kind of, err...old. :geek:

wyx087 likes this.
  18. creative

creative 500rwhp

So much for pulling the network cable.. MS has removed the ability to do that now on the latest build and you have to Shift+f10 to get cmd at the select wifi, taskmgr and kill the network process to be able to create an offline account. Also W11 is blocked when trying to PXE boot on MS server... it flat out doesnt work and you now have to setup and do it through MDT...

Well W10 went on the 18 NUCs I just did!

wyx087 and adidan like this.
  19. adidan

That's why I've not bothered. There's been work around after work around but they keep patching them out.

20. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Which build? I ask because I've just done two installs on brand new PCs and had no issues creating offline accounts on either. (I did then add them to our Azure AD afterwards for full clarity). I've also had no issues installing Windows 11 from our WDS server, but we do run a customised boot.wim as I find the standard one too slow.

wyx087 likes this.