1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 crashing during Furmark testing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynamis_dk, 17 Jun 2022.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'm gonna be sorting my previous GPU out to sell on and as part of this I've fitted on the original cooler again as when in my hands it was always on water but figured I'd hit a wider group of potential buyers with the aircooler back on.

Now I'll be the first to admit I've not run air for years so I'm not overly sure what my expectations should be here. Firstly I've guess I'm looking for around 75c for a card of this age? maybe a little higher? And I'm also well aware choosing the hotest day we've had in UK for ages and using my 32c ambient temp attic bedroom for a testing room isn't likely to be helping things :)

So benching goes fine for around 5min, gpu temps showing around 70c give or take but I keep having it lock up. I've captured a temp log from GPU-Z and everything looks ok except a sensor they call 'EVGA iCX PWR4 [°C]' which creeps to 95c and after a couple min around that temp the crash occurs.

Do you think I'm barking up right tree here? Does anyone know specifically what that temp refers to?

I'm gonna whip the heatsink off and check no pads moved or anything during application as a first step but I thought if you lovely lot would do a sanity check on my temp logging and see if you agree

Attached Files:

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Is it possible you've forgotten to fit the thermal pad or fitted the wrong one in one of the positions?

Also isn't Furmark considered excessive as no real life use will generate that kind of load? I use Heaven for testing stability and temps.

I'm the same as you though having used water for so long I've no idea what temps are considered normal with the stock heatsinks.

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Cheers for that mate, I think it was the pads tho I think lack of fatness rather than lack of placement. I’ve found a thread on an EVGA forum which suggested 2mm in places where I’d used 1mm. After a quick doubling up and fresh application of hydronaut, I’ve managed a 10min furmark session with that PWR4 sensor at 84c max and gpu hovering around 70-75c.

just got haven running and hitting same sort of gpu temps but PWR4 temps max high 70s so I’m hoping that’ll have done the trick.

gonna game on it tonight for a couple hour to give it some real world testing before it’s taken out for the last time. Never did I see myself having a 1080Ti to play games while the the 3080 just sits there in its water cooled jacket and it’s by watching lol.