1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Are gaming laptops worth the money

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by numanoid, 5 Jun 2022.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys
    Are gaming laptops around the £1000 to £1600 worth the money and can you really game with them, thanks

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What kind of thing are you looking at? And what are you looknig to play?

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Depends on what you are playing, I'll play RTS on mine where ultimate performance is not a priority.

You can game on many laptops, just have to manage expectations, the more power you want, the more noise, it will never be as fast as a desktop and it won't really be portable, needing to be latched to the mains for Real power gaming, in addition the keyboard aren't the best to game on as they often get hot and keys aren't so good as a proper keyboard.

They work fine though.

numanoid likes this.
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Depends on the laptop, and depends on the gaming...

...and like anything else, depends what compromises you're willing to tolerate.

Is it for portability or for space saving?

5. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Its for my son really, he likes the cod games...stalker 2 when its released and far cry games, thanks bud...msi gaming laptops and omen type laptop, something with a 3060 graphics

6. numanoid

numanoid Modder

7. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

They've come a long way in the last few years and have been comparatively good value during the GPU shortage/scalping era.

I have a Zephyrus G15 and it's fantastic temperatures are horrendous compared to desktop but it plays anything I throw at it without issue.

8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

9. keef247

keef247 Modder

big fugly plasticy loud pos' imho. all never do what they say and thermal throttle and battery use is like 30-45 mins haha pointless!

SuperHans123 likes this.
  10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

So long as you are away gaming is when plugged in. Don’t use it on your lap when you do and keep them clean and away from dust.

They perform great, within about 15% of a desktop part and given you get everything are a good value.

A 3060 wil be more like a desktop 3050 mind so a 3060ti or a 3070 in a laptop if you plan to run AAA games at 1080p max settings are a minimum really with the lesser being Ok if the CPU is up to scratch.
    Also bear in mind not all GPUs are created equal. Some may have a 100w tdp 3080 where as others may have a 150w. With the 3060ti rocking high TDP it’ll perform not far off a 3070ti that’s had its knees broken yet will cost a nice chunk less.

Read up is my advice.

11. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Mine has an 85w 3080 which around the performance of a 130tdp 3070 ( maybe slightly slower) but it's the size of an office laptop so I have no complaints at all.

12. keef247

keef247 Modder

I think it's scummy how the model number is never really what it is. what happened to 'mobile' branded cpus/gpus with the correct model name... atleast if you say it's a 3080M varient we'll know it's less than desktop but still the right hardware underneath. everyone does this, I remember apple used to rename the nvidia card I had in my 2010 iMac to something random then when I looked up the serial etc it was something else that was well known in windows desktops? just stupid imho.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The only time I would ever consider it would be if I lived in a budgie cage sized flat and had no other option.

Problem is that they are not laptops. They run so hot they microwave your gonads. So they still need a small desk, and at least a half decent mouse. Which just raises the question why? Just go with a Corsair One and get a nice 24" monitor.

Arboreal and keef247 like this.
  14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

At the lower end of the scale, I have a Dell that cost me just under a grand and is used for music production (for which it has been fine so far with the limited use I've thrown at it). I tried Gears Tactics on it once, using the in-built recommended settings for the onboard Intel GPU and it BSOD'd out after a couple of minutes, which was disappointing.

EDIT: If you do decide to go for one, there's a Dell sale on but ending soon.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2022
  15. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

With a glowing review like that, don't think he'll need the Dell link lol

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ha! I did think that!

In fairness, I've no issue with the the machine otherwise (other than bloatware), their customer service was good after some poking and I did have a specific use case that wasn't gaming. Their other machines I have no reason to doubt (and apparently, their G-models are "almost like Alienware"?). I could obviously do with some work on the marketing front though!