1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm not sure why you didn't fill in that dead corner with shelf.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just fitted a new roof and painted my wife's chicken coop and also repaired the floor in the slide out tray.

I didn't have a big enough piece of thick ply to do it one go and I wasn't about to purchase an 8x4 sheet of 19mm ply just to do a small job. The patchwork job is fine as its got a structure underneath it that holds it all up.

I plan to cover it over with something, I have a large sheet of 3mm ply but I'm reluctant to cut it into plus I'm brainstorming as to what else I could use that was more resilient. Rubber, plastic ect ect, anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited: 22 Jun 2022
  3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Does it need to be absorbent, wipe-clean or anything else? If it's just to keep clean, what about sticky-back plastic sheet stuff?

You've also just reminded me that I ned to order some chicken wire to stop whatever it is that's pooing in my veg planters. Chicken wire or a remote sentry.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Dude, you could just ask, i'm very approachable

ModSquid likes this.
  5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've lost your number, man. I do need to talk to you about your diet though.

adidan likes this.
  6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Water proof (well resilient) really so it doesn't let anything soak into the wood and can be cleaned easily.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2022
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

What about sticky-back plastic with mastik round the edges to prevent soak?

And keep @adidan away from it.

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

Can't wait till we move again to somewhere with enough room for a coup.

Our neighbours in NZ had one and there's nothing like freshly fresh freshity eggs in the morning.

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

A couple of coats of paint would go a long way, when we had guinea pigs I had a plywood run for them and a bit of varnish kept it in good nick for years.

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I would love to get on board with the whole home subsistence thing, but I cannot shake a story a colleague once told me. She was cooking breakfast one Sunday to assuage the double hangovers of herself and her other half, but upon cracking a farm-fresh egg into the frying pan, a chick fell out. She screamed and legged it to get her fella to handle the cleanup, but by the time they'd both staggered back into the kitchen, the chick was neatly frying in the pan where it had been left.

Since hearing that, eggs have firmly always come from Tesco, not chickens or farms. I'm such a wuss.

11. adidan

Scrambled. Just eat scrambled.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

Just about finished this garden log burner; I'd previously made one for myself, which my mother in law was quite taken by. She does tonnes of free childcare for us so when she asked me to make her one I couldn't say no. I ground this one all the way back to bare metal and then treated it with high temperature paint, no idea if it will last but it's worth a shot.

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Gross, dude. The chick would still be in there!
    That's rather generous and will also still look rather cool with weathering/heat wear. She'll be chuffed, man.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Largely because I can't reach back there.Where the speaker stands is about the limit of average mid-thirties human reach IME.

There's going to be something on the other side to swallow the rest of the DVD's and some of those, so in theory BR's can take the space instead. First I need to finish my desk, though.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

In a triumph of winging it and hoping for the best, as of today I'm 14-for-14 in cutting 8" holes in ceilings semi-blind and entirely avoiding joists, pipes, cables and everything else that I wanted to avoid.

Arboreal and adidan like this.
  16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I bin gone a while but this is my new favourite typo. I hope you manage one day to have the backyard militant uprising and overthrow of government you always dreamed of!

Cheapskate, spolsh, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  17. adidan

I don't know what you mean by typo, isn't this what everyone means?

[​IMG]

boiled_elephant and Arboreal like this.
  18. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

So, another couple of chopping boards and my first few goes on an Axminster lathe!

I've found my happy - now need to work out if these things will sell enough to not go back to work full time ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chopping boards are either cherry or walnut (not an expert at identifying but I have bought a book)!

The lighter wood is almost balsa in it's weight but came from a tree branch.

The egg cup shaped one is mahogany and eff me if I didn't bugger up the bowl (it's lop-sided as wasn't properly central).

The rear incense holders are walnut.

I've just found loads of silverbirch that has been cut down nearby and free for the taking so I'll see if I can get some bowls started.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2022
  19. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

How much are you looking at?

IamJudd likes this.
  20. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I have no idea - haven't looked into it yet as I wanted to refine my process and get used to the machine. This is literally my first go and represents around 8 hours of "messing". And when I say Mess, I mean it - the amount of shavings that get blasted at you is immense - I look like I've been rolling around in a rabbit hutch all day!