1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Mega sploosh
    PXL_20220624_123543243.jpg

goldstar0011, adidan and David like this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just had to throw £660 at the kitchen in the new place. There's no washer, but there is a dishwasher - so we're ripping that out and putting a Beko "Pro HygineShield"(!) washer/dryer in its place, paying extra to get an 8kg/5kg wash/dry capacity instead of the smaller ones. There *is* an under-counter fridge, but it's knackered - so an Indesit one of those, too.

Very limited in our choices, sadly, 'cos the gentleman who was very proud of his kitchen-fitting skills put the countertop at just shy of 85cm in height... which is too low for an 85cm appliance. How tall are most appliances? Yup, 85cm. Amaze!

IanW likes this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

1. LG C1 55"
    2. Google Pixel 6 in black (birthday present for my wife)
    3. case for the Pixel 6 (birthday present for my wife)
    I got the C1 for under 1k Euros. Would be stupid not to. Right?

d_stilgar, IanW and Bloody_Pete like this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Spent £380 on new glasses. They're really good looking frames!

5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

How do you know ? (without new lenses to see properly).

keef247 and IanW like this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm only very slightly short sighted, I need them more to ease photosensitivity!

IanW likes this.
  7. perplekks45

And in the same sale as the TV I got a Kenwood kitchen machine for under 200 instead of 600+. Again, stupid not to.

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  8. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Gigabit Fibre to the house - 900Mbps

3060ti FE

Corsair 4000D Airflow

Corsair commander pro XT

Been an expensive month and will need to get some faster wifi cards for the computers - i have gigabit powerline adaptors but my house seems to be wired weird and upon testing none of them give anything close to gigabit speeds

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Did you get it with a 6 year warrenty?

10. perplekks45

I don't think so. But I'll find out... tomorrow or Monday.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Normally only John Lewis or Richer Sounds do the 6 year warrenty, I think its only 2 year otherwise.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

13. perplekks45

You must be close to the end by now.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just 26, 27, 30 and 32-35 needed. There's also the Judge Anderson and Restricted Files, but unfortunately both sets have one book each that is currently not available or costs silly money. Then there's all the offshoot stuff...

On another note, I'm now on volume 11 reading wise. From 12 onwards, it's in colour, baby!

perplekks45 likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Promised @Gunsmith I'd feed back on those Blink cameras. It's a mixed bag.

Installation: Easy. Though, weirdly, you only get a template and a step-by-step "how to install" wizard for the two-screw floor-level doorbell cameras, not for the three-screw work-at-height outdoor/floodlight ones.

Setup: Also easy, but if you've got the doorbell and started the process before adding a Sync Module you'll need to dip out, add the Sync Module, reset the doorbell, then add that. Oh, and if you don't have a Sync Module the doorbell's limited: it only responds to button press, no live-view functionality.

Use: The app's serviceable. It opens on views of all the cameras in a system, but they're not live - or even automatically updated. You have to push the little photograph button, then it updates the thumbnail - deleting the old thumbnail. There's no way to access the current photo - no enlarging, no saving, no sharing - and no history. There *is* a "Photo Mode" which takes a new photo every hour... but even that doesn't update the thumbnail. Instead, it just stitches them together into a time-lapse video. Useful(!)

Had some reliability issues despite good signal strength, but things seem to have gotten better on that front. Stuff like trying to go into live-view and it refusing a few times in a row - and when it eventually works, whatever you wanted to view's long-gone.

The doorbell's chime alerts respond slowly at times. Best I've seen is about five seconds, which is entirely reasonable - though it can take another ten seconds or so to activate live-view if you want to see who's there. Worst was about 50 seconds, which is effectively useless.

Motion alerts are entirely visual, there's no PIR. As a result, it can get confused: I've had to disable motion alerts front and back today 'cos it's windy and the speed at which the cloud's shadows are moving makes the thing detect "motion." They're also slow: I've got several clips 'ere of the postman's back as he's leaving. They'd get someone trying to break in, though, so that's the main thing - although I reckon you could, on a short enough driveway, run up and slap a piece of gaffer tape over the lens before the recording started.

You can set decently-shaped motion-ignore zones, but the privacy zones - which are greyed out in both live-view and recording - are limited: two arbitrary-sized rectangles is your lot. Need to block out neighbours to the left, right, *and* at the bottom of the garden? Sorry, you're outta luck.

Can't comment on the battery life yet, but the thing's already warned me that the settings I've chosen for recording length, motion sensitivity, and infrared illumination "may impact battery life." You can supposedly get a year standalone or two with a Sync Module, but I doubt I'll get anywhere near that. Six months, maybe? We'll see.

Oh, and it's "subscription free" with a Sync Module... kinda. If you don't pay for the sub, it disables a bunch of quite important features. One of 'em's the "photo mode," but as above that's useless anyway so no loss. A bigger issue is that it disables the ability to record from live view. It still captures event-based recordings - motion or for the doorbell someone pressing it - but if you're peering through live view and see something you want to save... you can't.

TL;DR: It's okay, I guess. Could be a lot better.

16. perplekks45

That was well written and interesting. You should write reviews or something, mate.

BeauchN, Byron C, Pete J and 8 others like this.
  17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

:hehe::hehe::lol:

adidan, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  18. veato

veato I should be working

One of these for the phone. I needed a USBC-3.5mm adapter anyway that actually works with the Pixel 6 Pro and thought I'd give this a shot. Yes it's £39.99 versus about a tenner for an official adapter but my need for gadgetry beat sensibility into a corner and made it stay there.

Also got a tenner off the official Pixel USBC charger so I can stop using random Apple and Dell laptop chargers.

19. Gareth Halfacree

I know @liratheal was interested in the outcome of using this thing. Set it up in the room in question, turned the timer to 120 minutes - depending on which website you listen to a room of that size needs between eight minutes and four hours of exposure, so... <shrug> - beat a hasty retreat and even threw some masking tape around the door for good measure.

Came back the next morning, held my breath while I opened the windows - ozone's supposed to be completely degraded into oxygen and whatever-you-just-made-by-bonding-an-oxygen-molecule-with-the-stuff-that-smells within, like, four hours, but why take the risk and also who knows how bad the latter is.

Came back again in the evening with the decorator to get a quote for stripping the room back, sealing, and painting... and he was very confused 'cos there's no smell at all. Clear as you like. Now, I have no idea how long that'll last and, for chemical safety reasons, we're still getting it stripped, sealed, and painted, but... Yeah, seems to work a treat at getting rid of the smell, at least temporarily!

EDIT:
    Oh, but finding useful information about this stuff? Impossible. It's all SEO blogspam, either trying to tell you how wonderful ozone generators are so they can sell you one or how terrible they are so they can sell you something else. The latter even lean heavily on a US study which showed that ozone generators putting out a level safe for occupation are completely useless at cleaning the air, but use that to argue against ones like the above where they put out a VERY unsafe level of ozone 'cos you're supposed to light the blue touch-paper and eff off until it's done.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Nifty.

I've never had something smell so bad that I can't conventionally clean the stink out, but that's good to know.