1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks PoE Access point and router kit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 2 Jul 2022.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Apart from going full Ubiquiti, what options are there for PoE access points in combination with a main router? Is there brand dependency for devices to roam smoothly like in a same-brand mesh network?

For example, there are many PoE AP's here:
    https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/stor...wifi-6-access-points-ax/?t=751&sort=1#content

If I use an Asuswrt router that I'm very familiar, will I need to go to each AP and set up same SSID?
    If I choose TP-link AP kit with "cloud controller", I guess I still need a gateway router of some sort?

Basically, friend is extending their new house. While doing so, they want me to provide pointers for smart home and networking. For networking, they will do wired to most rooms, PoE AP in key locations and wire for PoE security camera. But they are not heavy internet users, so don't need to go full hog with Ubiquiti Dream machine pro. What would be middle ground system aiming for Virgin Media 200 Mbps internet with half-dozen Wifi devices?

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I run an Asus AC86U router with two Zen WiFi Mini AC nodes, using CAT6 wired backhaul. The nodes aren't POE though.

It works great, setting up mesh is a button click to add a node, I can add additional nodes if needed. Cost effective, no cloud "service" subscription tax, the nodes are free standing so can be moved around. If they were POE I would upgrade my switch to take advantage of it but to be honest, where I have them means I don't see the power adapters. Best of all, one of the nodes has 3 LAN ports so I didn't need to put a switch in my son's room for his computer and consoles.

The wifi covers the whole house and garden (4 bed Victorian semi) and allows seamless roaming. We have around 15 wired devices and around 13 wifi devices.

3. wyx087

Yeah, I run AX86s as main router and my old AC68u as wired mesh node. This will work and I’m familiar with AIMesh. If I can’t figure out how those AP systems work, this would be the route I fallback to.

But I see this as opportunity to do it properly, it’s a fresh start. They will definitely get a PoE switch for the security cameras. So powering mesh nodes or AP will be no problem and less clutter.

What’s the difference between AP and mesh nodes? If any?

4. wyx087

What's the difference between UniFi AP and AP Mesh?
    https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/access-point-wifi-6-mesh
    https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap6-professional

Will UniFi AP's do seamless roaming and mesh-like hand-off between nodes?

I'm thinking a 3 AP solution will work okay: Dream Router towards rear of ground floor, AP pro towards front of 1st floor and AP lite for small top floor.

But I don't understand UniFi network application, does this mean I can forego Dream Router (use ISP provided for routing) and run this application with only AP's?

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I have two Unifi APs (ground floor/back, and middle floor/mid-front) that cover my house, they're pluygged into a generic (netgear i think) 5port PoE switch, which is in turn plugged into a 24port (tp-link?) switch then to the fibre router/modem provided by Sky.
    I ran/run the unifi cloud key (?) software on my server to configure, but once setup i havent really touched it.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. wyx087

Thank you. So only need the AP's. Will run UniFi network application on Home Assistant instance.

If you are moving in between the two AP's in terms of signal quality, without central software running, will the device be "steered" toward the better signal one?

Basically don't want to be left with a slow signal due to the way device had moved around in the house. I have experienced this with old Wifi extenders and my reading suggests this is the advantage of wired backhaul mesh vs wired AP's. I have noticed my Asus AiMesh provides this "steering" effect.

May be this is why they have UniFi AP and UniFi mesh?

7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

honestly, i have never had an issue on connection strength/drop-out, i assume that it is just "clever" and i'm connect to whichever has better signal, but i havent actually tested/investigated it...

wyx087 likes this.
  8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you run a Unifi controller, you can set the minimum RSSI that devices are allowed to connect to any given AP, meaning they should then be directed to the one with the strongest signal. There's also Band Steering, which can prioritise 5GHz over 2.4 as/when devices are 5GHz capable. You will need a controller for all this though. I have an original Cloud Key sat in a box, which you're welcome to have on the house, if you decide to have a play with Unifi. Once you do, I doubt you'll go back...

wyx087 likes this.
  9. wyx087

Will this "Unifi Network application" work the same as Cloud Key box?
    https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-unifi
    Thanks very much for your generous offer, if it works as part of another system, no need to get a new box.

What is the purpose of Cloud Key box? Does it just run a bit of AP controlling software (called UniFi OS Console)?
    I suppose all the router (Dream machine, pro, Dream router) will also run the UniFi OS Console and have AP controlling capability?

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You can run a Unifi controller in many ways: Cloud based, Windows/Mac/Linux/RPi, Docker container, Home Assistant addon or Ubiquiti proprietary hardware - they're all the same software running on different hardware in varying OSs. I prefer running a local controller, rather than cloud/over IP as if your connection goes down, you can still manage the network locally. There's lots of options for running locally.

A Cloud Key is a small SOC-based mini computer that is made by Ubiquiti for the sole purpose of running Unifi Controller on your local LAN. It provides a low-power, always on Unifi network controller that you can access when away from home, over the internet. The same also applies for Home Assistant/Docker given they'd be installed on an always running system. The Cloud Key is also PoE, which makes for easy, clean installation.

Dream Machines, UDMs etc, all have the controller built in, so no need for a Cloud Key. In your instance though, if you just want to control and manage 2x Unifi APs connected via 3rd party routers/switches, a basic Cloud Key (or other local installation of Unifi controller) is all you'd need. You don't need it to be always running; however, it does collect stats for network performance when running, so is desirable to leave on. It can also do automatic channel optimisation overnight, if you so wish. Again, that would need the controller running 24/7 too.

wyx087 likes this.
  11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Also, regarding your earlier query about APs and Mesh - All APs are capable of Mesh and the separate Amplifi range is a typical out of the box mesh setup, plug and play. You can do much more with APs though...

I personally run all my APs hardwired and the devices change seamlessly between the APs as you move around the home/garden. To run in mesh mode, you'll need to be running Unifi controller and then you only need a minimum of one AP hardwired and the other satellite APs connect to this master AP wirelessly. Upside, don't need to run ethernet all over the place. Downsides, Still need to run PoE to each satellite anyway and you're eating into your WiFi bandwidth when using mesh as a chunk is nicked by the mesh option for backhaul. Not a problem for general use though power users may/will notice the bandwidth deg.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2022
    wyx087 likes this.
  12. wyx087

Thanks so much. It's difficult to get these type of info just looking at their product page. I've yet to find a system overview type explanation direct from them.

I would like to take up your offer of a cloud key, it's always best to have first party hardware running 24/7.

So in light of the UniFi for-sale thread, I'm considering 1 U6-LR in the rear living room and start with another 1 U6-Lite in top floor. If not enough, another Lite in the middle floor should cover everything. All wired in because their house is currently being re-done.

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I have a U6-LR, along with a UAP AC-LR and a UAP AC-Lite, soon to be swapped out for a Pro. I use both the LRs to cover the entire house and gardens and the Lite/Pro for the Garage. If you plan careful placement of your APs, even in a three storey house (depending upon internal wall contruction) you should cover the whole lot with the 2x APs - and you may even have to turn down the power output on the 2.4GHz channel of the LR. I'll dig out the Cloud Key and send you a PM.

Here's my setup as a basic example of a running Unifi Controller. There used to be an online demo controller to play with but it got pulled last year sadly. Screenshot 2022-07-06 112541.jpg

wyx087 likes this.
  14. wyx087

Out of interest, does USG (or UDM [pro]) + switches + AP's replace the consumer router.

Is there any multi-gig products without going to their "pro" lineup? I'm just planning ahead for 3Gbps internet (which I can currently get, but I've "only" bought 1 Gbps because my in-home network limitations) and 5 or 10 Gbps LAN.

Any benefit running Uniquiti switches over cheaper generic PoE ones?

I would also be interested the doorbell for my house, and may be security cameras. I don't see any Uniquiti storage device in your setup. How are you storing the footages?

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Your ISP router (for most of the world) also contains the modem function, so Unifi doesn't replace that. Some will allow you to switch it into modem only mode, disabling Routing/DHCP and all other non-modem functions, leaving it a dumb modem. If your ISP doesn't allow that, you can manually disable routing/DHCP in almost all ISP hardware and then go through Unifi thereafter.

For greater than Gig, you're looking at Ubiquiti's upper end stuff and the costs do go up quite a bit... it's not a factor for me as I have 1 Gig internet and don't need nor intend to go any faster for the foreseeable. I also don't shunt around large chunks of data on the home network, so it's not an issue.

All PoE switches essentially do the same thing; a switch with PoE built in (there are also managed/unmanaged switches...) but you need to ensure you're getting the correct standard for the PoE you require. The latest Unifi U6 APs need the PoE+ standard (802.3at), 30W whereas the previous generation and almost all of their other stuff is standard PoE (802.3af) at 15W. This means if you go for a U6, you'll still need a 802.3at PoE injector to use with a basic 802.3af PoE switch - unless you get a much more expensive PoE+ switch. Running Unifi switches, rather than any other brand, just means you have them integrated into your controller and can then monitor and harvest all the stats of your traffic. It helps you optimise your network and gives you an incredible amount of fidelity if you're into that sort of thing.

So with Unifi Protect (the camera/doorbell part of their ecosystem), some of the controllers/UDMs etc come with storage built in. The cheapest/most basic of which is the one I use, the Cloud Key Gen2+. This comes with a 1TB mechanical, which I've upgraded to a 2TB SSD (the controller and camera playback was sluggish on a mech drive). With 5x cameras and 2TB, I can record and store well over a month of footage before it's overwritten. If you're just thinking about a doorbell only for the time being, then the included mech drive will be absolutely fine until such time as you want to grow your Protect network.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2022
    wyx087 likes this.
  16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I've found the Cloud Key @wyx087 and it's all factory reset and I've formatted the MicroSD backup so it's ready to adopt as soon as you get it.

PM me your address and I'll work out postage costs. If you do decide to go for a Unifi setup with a more complete controller, then by all means pass this on to someone who may have need of it. :thumb:

adidan and wyx087 like this.
  17. wyx087

Thanks very much for the crash-course.

Very good point on PoE+, luckily the switch I'm looking at is TL-SG1210P, which supports 802.3at.

For multi-gig, it's more of a me-want than actual need. I've got a direct 1:1 connection PC to NAS at 2.5Gbe and it is great. To be honest, other than this single PC, there's no real need for other devices to go faster than gig-ethernet.

Ah, I didn't realise Cloud key 2+ supports local storage. This is probably cheapest way into UniFi protect. Hum.... another one worth consider from the for-sale thread......

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you’re buying the Cloud Key Gen2+, there’s little point me sending you the basic Cloud Key and I’ll offer it up to others. Your call though.

19. wyx087

It's two different households. The Gen1 will be for them, they have already bought a different security camera system.
    I'm mainly interested in the UniFi video doorbell, but not sure if I'm £200 + £140 interested. I'll have a ponder.

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Ok, let me know then.