1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Careful with that dude. You'll look worse than if you'd been rolling in a rabbit hutch if it goes wrong.

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Well I’d be interested in two, or maybe 3 boards if they aren’t too rich.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Local to me (Lincs) I've seen handmade cutting boards anywhere from £30 to £65 each depending on size and thickness. It'll vary regionally with the cost of living - the true value, of course, is what people will consistently pay.

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

The chopping boards I was thinking £40-50... They work out about 40-45mm thick and around 400 by 300mm in length/ width. I'd be willing to go £40 for you and £35.00 each for two?

I've sealed them with Danish oil but there will be little inaccuracies as it's really the rustic look I'm going for.

I can give you more accurate specs tomorrow if that's OK...

Cookie Monster likes this.
  5. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You might be better off with senokot for that.

IamJudd likes this.
  6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

lol whoops

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

@IamJudd, Axminster offer courses at their premises, to help you get to grips with using a lathe.

I would like a lathe but, have nowhere to put it.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I saved this when I was looking at making a chopping board, and you probably already read it, but it struck me as useful, and short, notes to have from someone who does it (Makes cutting boards) for money:

9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

That’s really interesting. The wood for my chopping boards have come from an either walnut or cherry cabinet which I was going to up-cycle but because of the amount of work it needed and the fact that I thought it was solid wood and not boxed like it was, I ended up stripping the wood back to the grain.

At this point it looks like walnut along the hewn wood. I then use gorilla glue and sandwich strips together using clamps to hold overnight.

Once dry, I use a thicknesser to plane off any excess glue. Then an orbital sander to take it right back and to ensure the board is level (but not too level - rustic charm and all that).

Depending on the finish of both sides of the board, I either use Danish oil to finish or I put little felt feet on the underside to level and Danish oil everywhere else.

Ultimately, I’m surprised that after 48 years, I’m doing something that almost feels like gut instinct - I didn’t enjoy D&T at school and I think I can safely say that I’ve coasted through most of my life which has certainly impacted some of my career choices. I’m annoyed that I didn’t find this sooner but with the benefit of hindsight, I may not have enjoyed it so much as a younger man and this may also have something to do with my "gaming" days are few and far between.

There’s a great deal of fulfilment with these little projects that I could quite easily be knocked back on if anyone was overly critical but, then again, I would tell myself that I’ve only been doing this for a couple of months and have lots of room to improve. The lathe work has been the past week!

Here’s an example - my father-in-law brought me two pieces of mahogany today and a piece of yew. I want to do some more work before I tackle the mahogany so I made this earlier today…

[​IMG]

What I learnt from the "Yew (Yule) Tree" is that I shouldn't go too thin - it had a knot that has resulted in various chips and a split on one side of the piece. I'm not worried - I appreciate the learning curve and that, in all honesty it can be displayed as is without the split being visible.

The lathe is an older version of this - Axminster Workshop AW240WL Woodturning Lathe - 230V | Axminster Tools (the AC240WL is mine). Picked it up for £100!

The funny thing is I'm already eyeing up a better one... this might become an expensive hobby if I don't start selling some of my bits and pieces!

Last edited: 10 Jul 2022
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Danish oil isn't food safe. Lead and whatnot. Mineral oil is a standard chopping block finish.

I make spoons from time to time.

spolsh and adidan like this.
  11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've seen similar things at craft fairs, might be worth a shot?

12. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Some Danish oil IS safe for chopping boards - unless you're cutting a loaf whilst waiting for it to dry ;) - mine is labelled "food-safe" as it's not mixed with those chemicals that would make it unsafe.

Is Danish Oil Food Safe? Everything You Need to Know - WoodCritique

I only link that as it's one in many that say it's fine - there are other sites that say it isn't but that's due to the chemicals mixed in non-food-safe options...

Do you whittle the spoons? It's something else I was looking at recently...

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Yup. You must use the stuff without drying agents. Good stuff. Yeah, I have some Moras and a hoof knife I use. Need to do some new ones.

14. boiled_elephant

Right there with you mate, I've just started throwing in IT work in favour of chainsaw and arb work. Took me til my 30s to realise that sitting in a chair 8 hours a day is bad for both my body and my mind. And yeah, games increasingly feel like an emperor's new clothing sort of thing - they're so big and popular, nobody's willing to stop and make the uncomfortable observation that they're literally pointless distractions that waste our energy.

I'll take a cutting board if they're 40x30cm, we need one about that size. If you could do a slightly bigger one like 50x35 or something, that'd be an even better asset. Just PM me as and when you've got one you'd like to sell - or make a sales forum thread! At the point at which it becomes a business you probably won't be allowed to do that, but while it's hobbyism I think you're okay.

IamJudd and Arboreal like this.
  15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

17. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I'll make a few bigger ones if that's the consensus! Started making bowls...

18. boiled_elephant

[​IMG]

whenever I make a quick fix for something out of wood I'm instantly reminded of Homer Simpson making a spice rack for Marge.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I see from the Lincolnshire Scene the Farmers discos are more raucous thant they used to be.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  20. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

It is a mightily impressive spice rack you have created though. Does it fly ?