1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Dell replacement batteries

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 21 Jul 2022.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

The charity my wife is helping has been donated a bunch of middle age Dell laptops (E6440s) but without any batteries.

Whilst I know they can run without the battery they would like to fit some before they are distributed to the people who need them.

Dell want to charge a small fortune so a compatible make looks like best value for money.

Does anyone have first hand experience of brands that aren't likely to explode? A quick Google shows they can be found from £25.

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I don't have experience to draw on, but if I was keeping an eye on it whilst charging (and it was backed up/non-vital/remote access for work only anyway) then I'd certainly be prepared to try one or two at a time and see how they go. I need to replace my own and was thinking much the same; only reason I haven't yet is because it's not on the priority list.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've bought cheap Dell laptop batteries and battery packs in the past, none lasted more than 1 or 2 recharges. The last one I took apart contain recycled (completely knackered) used 18650s batteries.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've bought non-OEM cheapest well reviewed batteries from Amazon for Lenovo T420 and 2010-ish Dell Inspire. All worked fine as far as I can tell. Though both machines were used on AC power at their dedicated workspace most of the time, so were not under heavy daily use as one might expect from a laptop.

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

There appears to a few "branded" non-oem manufacturers. I assume at least some of them will be okay because there must be a large aftermarket need for laptop batteries. Just trying to avoid the stuff made of only hopes and dreams!